jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Women in today's world: what should we be challenging?

1. Jemilla R-C profile image59
    Jemilla R-Cposted 6 years ago

I was once told by a 50 year old man that " You see the problem with Feminists is that they took off their bras, fought a bit, then put them back on"... then he walked off laughing...

This is so insanely ignorant but definitely symbolic of the place in world which feminism sits today.

The world has become this big tangled web of issues that its hard to see exactly what you could be (or should be) fighting for.

Women weren't allowed to vote, so people fought against it....

Women weren't allowed access to contraception, so people fought against it...

There's a load of oppressive issues within history which social change has been instigated against, now what do we have?

A constant battle with issues of ideologies towards women to access to HIV treatment across the world to femocide and rape.

Doesn't it seem slightly futile? What are today's women coming up against?

A new law was passed in Afghanistan a few months ago making it legal for men to rape their wives up to 4 times in one week.

This is a disgrace, but whose fighting for them on a wider scale? They may not be in your country, you may not have to see this injustice every day but they are women. Women in a situation much more isolate and oppressive than ours. We have all this money and all this 'freedom' in the West, but we only really seem to feel some affinity when it affects us.

If a law was passed in the same place allowing men to rape white western women, the affect would be enormous.

In order for any real change to happen, we need to create an affinity with all women, irrespective of their physical place in the world. We need to recognize that this injustice is symbolic of the constant battles women have faced throughout history solely because of their birth right.

2. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately any movement for women's rights in foreign cultures such as Afghanistan have to come from within that country to be effective. There's not much you can do from the outside. Even if we could apply enough political pressure to make them change this law it probably wouldn't actually change anything, as these things weren't being prosecuted anyway because they are considered socially acceptable in the culture of many parts of the country.

But maybe I'm just being pessimistic

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you here....

But I am a little bit optimnistic.....you know what the change will come from women inside the area, and it is inevitable when they can no longer take it, they will be th one who will instigate change...cultural process through media, foreign influences must go together with political change. THE UN commission on human rights should really be the focal point also in helping to change even the present mode of thinking.

3. 0
    BIKTMIAposted 6 years ago

Women why we should be challenging is because if you want elavated standards then you have to push to make the change for the elavation we desire. Being challenging can mean your interesting not hard to get along with, but just different about your approach. If you have cordiality with  being challenging its more appealing. If your approach is receptive then thats the difference.

4. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago

What should women be challenging?  Their tendency to be their own (and sometimes each other's) worst enemy.

5. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

It is heartbreaking to hear of societies that allow such horrors to happen to their women such as in Afghanistan and they (Afghan women) have been fighting for a long time. sad  I think it is good when the rest of us can try our best to reach out to help them by pressuring our own gov'ts. I would gladly share my home with a Afghan woman till it was safe for her to return to her own home. smile I think it would be great if we were allowed to shelter women of war torn countries.

6. 60
    child of christposted 6 years ago