jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

What do u think of eve-teasing?

1. 61
    emeyposted 6 years ago

r u familiar to eve- teasing? is it supportable or not?
    if not, why?
    if yes, why?
    Who is 2 blame 4 eve teasing? girls or boys?

1. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

a woman should be able to walk down the street without being subjected to catcalls and wolf-whistles. it happens here only we don't call it 'eve teasing'. it's called harrassment.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

that's what I assumsed by its name... both are to blame, sometimes the girls 'ask' for it by their dress or behavior or guys think it's o.k. to treat a woman like an object.

wrong both ways.

2. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So, you're saying that a man isn't allowed to 'whistle' at a good looking, gorgeous, beautiful or incredibly hot woman walking down the street?

That's insane. Whistling at a woman is suppose to be a sign of affection. You know, it is suppose to be something that boosts their self-esteem, and NOT as an insult.

If it's taken as an insult, then I would have to say that people are way too sensitive.

1. Lisa HW profile image84
          Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I can't speak for what cosette was saying, but - really - if a guy doesn't want women to think he's an imbecile he shouldn't whistle or yell.  Besides, women with a shred of a brain know that there are goons who yell and whistle at every girl/woman who walks by, so they're not flattered.  It isn't a "boost to self-esteem" to have someone who seems like a goon "approve".  Most women aren't flattered/complimented to treated as a joke or an object when they're just walking down the street, minding their business, and (even if a guy really does think she's attractive) just happening to be attractive.  Women don't particularly appreciate "signs of affection" from strangers.  Men who has respect for women and for themselves wouldn't do that. 

It's not way too sensitive to take being treated with lack of respect as an insult.  It's not way too sensitive for a young woman to just get sick of not being able to walk down the street without being yelled at or had goon noises or whistles.  Attractive women often have enough self-esteem but have trouble being treated with respect, as an "equal adult".  Unattractive without self-esteem aren't going to get it from having a goon (who probably yells/makes sounds at every girl) yell at her.  The "self-esteem" of strangers is not anyone's business; and would you yell at good looking guy walking down the street?  No.  Why?  The answer will point out what's offensive about yelling at women.

(This thread has inspired a Hub for me.  roll).  When I was of the "out-walking-around-with-my-girlfriends" age, and guys yelled or honked horns we weren't "horrified" or insulted necessarily; but we did think the guys were acting like goons.  It's not as minor a matter, though, when a woman has to, say, walk alone by a construction site in the a city to get to work each day.  It's just one of a zillion things that show no respect for the fact that a woman - like a guy - is a human being (and not a joke, not someone else's concern when it comes to "self-esteem", not a sex object, and not particularly flattered when someone who acts like a goon "approves").

2. 0

trust me, it is NOT enjoyable.

i guess this sort of thing never happens to you.

you should be able to go about your daily affairs without someone going 'heyyyyy baby' and whistling at you.

if you think i am too sensitive, whatEVER. and for the record, i dress quite modestly and conservatively!

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

never heard of it~ hmm

3. A Lady Like profile image68
    A Lady Likeposted 6 years ago

Am I being ignorant as to ask the question, "What is 'eve-teasing'?"  I've never heard the expression used before - EVER??!.....and am more than curious as to how or when you would use it??

4. Jonathan Janco profile image81
    Jonathan Jancoposted 6 years ago

Cat-calling and groping. In my opinion, men should stop doing it . . . and women should start. That would make the world a happier place. People usually treat others the way they would like to be treated themselves.

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I will agree, if a man puts his hands on a woman, because he wants her to pay attention to him, then he is in the wrong.

5. dyonder profile image79
    dyonderposted 6 years ago

Ladies should be treated as ladies and respected as such until proven otherwise - buy her flowers, write a poem, shower her with admiration but don't engage in lecherous behavior. It sets a bad example for future generations & destroys the concept of romance.

1. 0

perzactly smile