Would You Attend a Same Sex Wedding?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 118 discussions (386 posts)
  1. glendoncaba profile image74
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

My short answer is:  No? 

I mean not as a guest or even as clergy. 

I would only be found there if I had to cover the story as a journalist or protect life and property as a policeman.

Come on over and vote?

<snipped link>

1. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why are so many Twisted Sisters interested in gay people and their lifestye?

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
        Usually this people are 'straight' ones, that sometimes 'bend.'

glendoncabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Straight as an arrow here.  I find a woman's body voluptuous and oh so sexy.  Mmmmmmmm.  No need to seek intimacy in my own gender.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.  Like you trying to lure people to your hub with your fake outrage.  How's that workin out for you?

I like to be honest up front.  Said it already and say it again.  Sure I want the promo, but this is more than that.  I am disappointed that the pastor mentioned in article actually attended even though against same-sex marriage. 

So I am genuinely interested in poll.  But forum here definitely pro same sex marriage.  I am shocked.  Makes me feel like I am out of step with the rest of world.  Or is this an indication of influence of liberals and atheists on forum.

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
                Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are out of step.

Like a living walking Jurrasic Park?  big_smile

2. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you Actively Pomoting your Hub? hmm
      Or Just the Fact that you hope to benefit from the Subject matter; which clearly you struggle to comprehend, if you feel a need to install terms! lol

Usually I would be just promoting my hub, but honestly this time I am perplexed by something I heard about a pastor attending a gay wedding just to give support to his friends even though he does not support same sex marriage.

That's like a militant atheist attending a church dedication just to please a friend. 

So I would love to see the votes, but already I can see the liberal trend.  Wow, we are living in the new age of sodom.  Yes, my religious bias is up front. Plus my own personal experience, yea I was picked on when I was young and cute and had to really stand up and say ...NO.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

I have been to church, "just to please a friend."

What a shame you do not value friendship the same way I do. It might make you a better person.

I too was picked on when I was young and cute - and was not given the chance to say "no."

Fortunately - I am able to tell the difference between "gay" and "child molester."

And I would suspect there are no more or less homosexual people around than there always has been - but you go ahead and convince yourself that things are much much worse than they used to be and it is all the fault of the liberals, lol

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sure, why not?

4. MikeNV profile image68
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends on the food and the entertainment.

5. Frugal Fanny profile image60
      Frugal Fannyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have attended a gay wedding, and would certainly do so again, as I have a number of gay friends whom I love to bits.

6. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why not?  It's not like I'd have to go with them on their honeymoon...lol

7. AdsenseStrategies profile image62
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your short answer is No with a question mark -- mysterriious

Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

I am suprised that with such a biased opinion; that you have neglected to state that you Would Attend such an event; If you were the product of a same sex relationship lol

1. Clara Ghomes profile image60
      Clara Ghomesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahahah... I would prefer going there and enjoy the event.. for me it is the partyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...........partyyyyyy time!!!!! So I am not gonna miss it anyway big_smile

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Who cares about other peoples sexuality?
    Oh that's right, bloody religion again! Broaden your mind!

1. Pearldiver profile image68

Yep.. That too Earnest big_smile

2. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What anyone who disagrees with you does so because of religion, AND has a narrow mind rather than one that just so happens to disagree with you?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The question amounts to "are you homophobic or not" well I'm not. What other meaning might it have?

1. tksensei profile image60

The question can only be if you are scared of homosexuals or not? Really?

So - why are you scared of homosexuals?

I'm not, thanks for asking.

So you are narrow minded and religious then?

Is this the religion forum?

1. frogdropping profile image78
                    frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now you know that's a pointless question. Religion is everywhere. Whether you, I or anyone else likes it or not smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Apparently so - seeing as the OP is a religionist promoting his religious anti-homosexual hub.

Thank you for pointing that out. I agree with you for once. We should keep religion out of these matters.

Well done.

3. caravalhophoto profile image60
                    caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You seem to ask that question quite a bit, it is listed under gender and relationships, that alone should answer your question.

As for the question that has been brought to the forum; Would you attend a same sex wedding?  Absolutely...obviously the invite would be from a close friend or family member, not a perfect stranger.  With that said, I do stand by the ones I love no matter their sexual preference, religion or political choices...

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if you complain about bigotry you are a bigot. Get with the program Ernest!

3. AdsenseStrategies profile image62

I guess it's ok to disagree with another person's sexuality, why not? But it is definitely *not* ok to discriminate against them via legal means in order to do so

There you go! That it in a nutshell. Equal rights, Equal Justice for all!

1. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

drinks on me!!Party time Friday night! lol

1. profile image0
              sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Clothes!Clothes!Clothes!

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image62

Well tksensei has the right to dislike someone, doesn't he. And gay people have the right to dislike tksensei. And I have the right to marry a small piece of plastic wrapper (if a court will accept it). It's all silly -- the only things that should be wrong are the obvious things... ripping off the entire country via a banking institution, for example

4. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

As long as there is a big party after.. I don't care who is getting married!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I agree lol

2. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol   lol

5. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

I would if I want to meet catholic priests=)

6. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Love is a cause for celebration.  I would gladly attend xxxxxxx

7. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Yes, especially if one or both of them are my close friends smile.

8. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

TK stop chewing forum bones ... one of these days one will get stuck in your mouth wink

As for the OP - I don't mind whether you're naturally homophobic, it's just your personal opinion (that same sex marriages don't fit into the 'ideal' of what marriage is or should be about) or if it's because you're religious and it goes againts the teachings of your faith. Or some other reason.
    Each to their own.

As for me, yes I would attend a same sex wedding, happily so.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too, if one or both of the people getting married were friends of mine.  I really can't understand why anyone has a problem with same sex weddings/civil partnerships.  And if you don't agree with them, nobody's forcing you to go to one.

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
        Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. Why shouldn't same sex couples be allowed to wed?

Amanda everything is allowed, this is planet earth.  Narrow minded religious bigots like me will die off in another 30 or 40 years and then entire planet will be brave new Sodom.  No one to ask questions like this. sad

2. glendoncaba profile image74

Well said, really.  And award winning polite for hubpages too.  A merry christmas to you.  Love the graphics in avatar.

9. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

Some of my best friends are gays - so yes, most definitely!

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

And to answer the question, I would.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the traditional Italian grandmother of a woman at work who is getting married is going to attend the wedding. Sometimes you have to support someone you love regardless of what you think of their living arrangements.

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A bitter pill to swallow yeah... sometimes we need to especially when it calls for it... smile

Happy Birthday UW, hehehe your older by a year already but still witty as ever, hehehe guess what is my birthday present to you...

11. thirdmillenium profile image62
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

Religion has nothing to do with it. It is about giving approval to some unnatural act. It all boils down to sex. Marriage is quite unnecessary for having sex.

The very definition of marriage is to raise a family, comprising of your biological chidren. Adoption is only a choice or an exception. So, do not bring it into this.

I am all for any one's choice of having sex with  anybody/anything or even with open air. But marriage? Whatever for? What do you need social approval for, anyway?

Poor Elton John, one of the best ever singers to have walked the Earth

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not social approval so much as legal rights!

In many states gay and lesbian couples are not allowed to share health insurance plans. If one partner becomes seriously ill and his or her family disapproves of the relationship, they can often prevent the other partner from having any say in treatment or end of life decisions, and in some cases even prevent him or her from visiting, even if the relationship has lasted for decades.

These are just a few examples. There are over 1,100 federal laws alone in which marital status is a factor in determining benefits, rights, privileges, and responsibilities.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Everyone who is married and does not have children by choice or because of biology...your marriage is a sham and should be cancelled. Sorry about that.

Time to flag this to be moved to the religion forum... sigh

13. itcoll profile image60
    itcollposted 14 years ago

oh yes,why not?i definitely would.

14. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I would hope that would never be a reality. I would however attend a civil union ceremony and bring red licorece whips for everyone!

15. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

My short answer is yes.

16. Ms.Lavae profile image61
    Ms.Lavaeposted 14 years ago

I would gladly attend.

17. Eldritch Elegy profile image61
    Eldritch Elegyposted 14 years ago

No, I wouldn't. I'm a Christian, and it goes against my faith. However, I have several gay friends, because I care about people and don't hate anyone just because they don't agree with my views (something a lot of people on the Internet need to learn).

I pray for them, I treat them like human beings (because they are, you know), but I'm not going to go against God.

That's a hopelessly Well thought out perspective isn't it lol
      Shows how Much you would do for a friend hmm (being a caring christian and all) yikes

1. Eldritch Elegy profile image61
        Eldritch Elegyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then I ask you... how am I supposed to win souls for God without treating people like they should be treated? How many gay people do you know who hate Christians because instead of being their friends, the Christians tell them they're 'going to hell' and shun them?

You need to read up on Christianity before you tell me I'm a hypocrite.

Then I will Answer You This Way:

The burden of 'Winning Souls' as you arrogantly put it; starts by 'winning' your own! If you consider that is your role in life then I would suggest that you check your temperature hmm

Your Perspective is badly Flawed. A well balanced perspective on life is not one that tilts one particular way, or is supported with the cowardness of justification at the expense of reality.

Sort out your balance first... as your alleged gay friendship is one of bias towards your tilt. If you have no comprehension of the meaning of friendship; then you have a great deal of work to do on your soul.

I do not recall calling you a hypocrite! I believe I had pointed out errors of your statement (you know..abit like proofreading smile)

As far as you worrying about my need to expand my knowledge; thanks, but you really need to accept my 'christian' offering here.. with the free advice I am offering you! Your need exceeds my own smile

My knowledge of religion and life may well be far superior than your own! yikes
          Have you considered the possibility of that point? hmm

1. Eldritch Elegy profile image61
            Eldritch Elegyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Boy, talk about arrogance.

Well, the Bible also says not to argue with fools, so I guess I'm done wasting my time here. smile

Do you "win" many souls with this approach? lol

NO... Sorry I'm Not A Boy.. Tadpole! smile

I can assure you I am not being arrogant; If I choose to be arrogant in making a point to you; I'm sure that you would feel as if your landing gear had been violated, rather than your ignorance! lol

I am merely demon-strating to a homophobic.. that you get what you give! smile Was it good for you Tadpole? lol

Yes Yes Yes..the bible also reccommends that you 'Turn the Other Cheek'... perhaps by following that advice.. you will appreciate Your Gay Relationships from a more subserviant position lol

2. Ms.Lavae profile image61
      Ms.Lavaeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My intentions aren't to attack you, but i find it funny when ppl say things like i have gay friends but i would't go to their wedding because of my faith. The crazy part about it is their still your friends you excepeted that they were gay. So how does your faith allow you to be their friend but not to attend your so called friends wedding. Something doesn't seem right.

The words you are looking for are "judgmental hypocrite." wink

You think Almighty God is looking down with a little book.

1. Went to gay friends wedding. Tick
        2. Ate Shrimp at said wedding. Tick
        3. Took the name of the Lord in vain after drinking too much. Tick
        4. Hugged gay friends and wished them well. Double Tick

Yup - going to hell. Too bad - otherwise such a loving christian. sad

lol

lol
          More 'christian' hypocrisy!
          It's begining to be boring ! sad

3. Edda McIver profile image59
      Edda McIverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but I have to say my opinion. You have several gay friends because you care about people??? So they are not your friends for what and who they are but just because from your pedestal you have decided to pity them???
      Plus are you rimending yourself that they are human beings??? Because regardless what people in here think if go or not going to a wedding I like to believe that didn't cross anyone mind that they are not human beings.
      Maybe you should start to look at yourself and think carefully before write certain statements

4. tantrum profile image60

And you go against friendship.
      Nice friend you are !
      A loving child of God

18. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Of course I would. Probably be the best I've ever attended too and what a reception party it would be! Actually weddings are boring, it's the party I like.

1. Ms.Lavae profile image61
      Ms.Lavaeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know that's right lol

19. Bail Up ! profile image60
    Bail Up !posted 14 years ago

My original reaction would have been no had I not had good friends with a gay son. When the subject actually came up, the answer was an overwhelming yes.

Because love and friendship always come first.

20. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

as long as there is Asian food

hi tantrum pretty

Hi Pretty ! smile

21. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

I would absolutely attend, and personally I don't see the issue. There are bigger issues for me to concern myself with than whether or not two people are getting married, gay or straight.

22. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 14 years ago

I'm really curious about this, and maybe one of the Bible scholars on HubPages can give me the answer. Where exactly in the Bible does it say that homosexuality is wrong?

I'm afraid to say that it is written in the Bible.
      Somewhere in the OT
      sad

2. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Leviticus 18.22 -

King James Bible
      Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

(Please note, I'm simply answering your question of where in the Bible this is mentioned, because I happened to remember the verse).

Thanks PG. It had crossed my mind that this was something dreamed up in translation, but the verse is pretty clear.

3. glendoncaba profile image74

Leviticus 18:22 plus the Creation precedence plus the sodom experience plus paul in Romans chapter 1.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Next to the parts where it says eating shellfish and shaving is evil, that women should be killed if they are "discovered" to be non-virgins when they are married, that anybody who sleeps with a woman on her period should be sent into exile along with her, and instructs you on where to buy your slaves, when it is appropriate to beat them, and what you should use to beat those slaves at that appropriate time.

4. Friendlyword profile image60

You will find the bible is full of references to homosexuality being wrong. But you wont find one Quote from God or Jesus saying anything about sex of any kind being bad at all!. Nowhere in the Old or New Testament does God or Jesus say anything about Sex being bad. It's always somebody speaking for God or twisting words to make their own point. The Bible was written by men. The thought of a man with another man is a disgusting thought to a Straight man.  And that is who was in control of writing the words in the Bible.

Imagine how the Bible would have looked if Women were in charge back then. Do you think women would still be considered one step above Cattle in the bible if that had been the situation? Men wrote the bible with their own likes and dislikes written down for all of us to follow and live by. That's why you have to use your own intelligence when reading the Bible. You will be able to easily separate the words of God and Man.

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fundamentalists will disagree with you. And they will also tell you their specific interpretation of the Bible is the one ordained by God. (There are interpretations of the "homophobic" passages that say they are corruptions of the original Hebrew and Aramaic)

23. Ms.Lavae profile image61
    Ms.Lavaeposted 14 years ago

There are alot of things that are written in the bible but ppl don't follow those things to a tee. For instance your not supposed to have sex until your married, but ppl do it all the time. So that's a sin as well. So ppl need to stop acting as if marrying the same sex is the worst thing that you can do, because it surely is not. Everyone wants to talk about ppl being gay and that's not important if you really want something to talk about, talk about rapists now that's who we really should be focused on.

24. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I would attend a same sex marriage, in fact been there and did that already.smile

25. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

By the way, Leviticus also sanctions killing of homosexuals:

Lev 20.13
    "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them".

The Old Testament (and parts of the New) is not suitable for children. Or adults.

cool

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dave has the answer for everything...

2. Amanda Severn profile image94

Some of the plot-lines in the Old Testament are pretty grim in terms of their lack of humanity.

26. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Amanda, Wikipedia actually has a pretty helpful run down on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_ … osexuality

It covers both passages that are considered to prohibit homosexual relations, and some that can be construed to support them, including that whole thing with David and Jonathan. wink

Thanks Kerry, I just had a quick look, and there's a lot to digest. There's also a lot of very questionable stuff in there too. Like the bit about Lot preferring the crowd to have their way with his virgin daughters rather than get chummy with his male visitors! Seriously scary!

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Daughters he later impregnantes himself!

Ugh. I remember graduating from a kid's story Bible to the real thing when I was 12 or 13 and my eyeballs practically popping out of my head over that story, and David and Bathsheba, and Onan and Tamar, and Amnon and Tamar...

People tend to forget that the Bible is full of more kinky sex, brutal violence, and general bad behavior than the average Hollywood executive could come up with in his wildest dreams.

Not religion forum.  But this is one of arguments for Bible.  You cant make up this stuff.  They told the whole story including the bad PR.

27. profile image50
    roku_86posted 14 years ago

yap i will

28. profile image50
    roku_86posted 14 years ago

yap i will

29. profile image0
    Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years ago

Of course I would!

30. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

If there is an open bar and good food, I'm in.  If the wedding is for two hot chics, even better!

1. profile image0

and crab cakes

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With a nice blood sauce

1. profile image0

and red wine

1. profile image0
            bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And Plenty of Rum!  Everything is better with Rum!

1. profile image0

and lots of bum, oops guess there will already be hmm:

31. bassfishingguide profile image60
    bassfishingguideposted 14 years ago

Open your mind....tolerance is the key to living in peace.

32. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

you know what i have never actually known two people of the same sex dating....... it is not so common here, i cannot even think of going to a single sex wedding...... i don't actually think i would

33. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I would go. definitely.  people who love each other - I don't care bout all that other stuff - good reception too!

34. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

I'd go. Wouldn't matter to me if it was a same sex wedding or not. A friend is a friend and I would be there to support them in their decision. 

However - if the food sucked at the reception - then I'd have a problem :-)

35. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I would go to a same sex wedding. I am all for same sex weddings! Why should only the straight partners get to celebrate their love by becoming married? If someone loves one another then I say let them show it off by getting married just like everyone else is able to!

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like it when you say "sex"

1. profile image0

I love you

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can I touch you inappropriately? big_smile

36. sweetjulie profile image60
    sweetjulieposted 14 years ago

why not

37. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Friends are friends and friendship is a two way thing; irrespective of race, religion, age, sexual orientation or gender.

Sadly; some fool themselves that friendship should be measured by a 'What's in it for me?' perspective. By taking that stance; one misses out on one of the most precious things in life; that of true friendship, that spans a lifetime. smile

Get real, if your friend invited you to deal in drugs or commit murder would you not draw a line? 

You would ... right? smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

You can hardly compare the two.

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

omg haha lol

they want to get married. those, those fiends. roll

3. Friendlyword profile image60

I knew it was coming...

Why does everybody try their best to get me banned? 1...2...3....Being a gay man or woman is not the same as being a criminal going out there and hurting and killing people. Sooner or later I always here that out your GOOD CHRISTIAN mouths.  That why your cult is the most SICK, TWISTED, AND EVIL cult out of them all! You are even willing to Dance and Sing in heaven with those same Drugs Dealers and Murderers instead of people who never hurt another person in their life. God loves me and I love God.  Let me make that clear! You use the Bible to promote your own hate against your fellow man.  God is nowhere in you. Be a man and claim your hate as your own. I dont like you, because I DONT LIKE YOU!!!. No justifying it. That's what a man does. Guess I'll see you all in a few days.

I notice you say "be a man!" type-stuff very often. Why is that?

The evil arrogance of some of you is just breath taking. I'm posting this on all of the religious forums. Time for you people to learn some humility.

ST PETER AT THE GATE

St Peter stood guard at the golden gate, with solemn mien and air sedate.  When up to the top of the golden stair, a man and a woman ascended there.  Applied for admission, they came and stood, before St Peter so great and good.  In hopes the city of peace to win,  and asked St Peter to let them in.

The woman was tall, and lank, and thin, with a scraggly beardlet upon her chin.  The man was short and thick and stout, his stomach was built so it rounded out.  His face was pleasant, and all the while, he wore a kindly and pleasant smile.

The choirs in the distance, the echoes awoke, and the man kept still, while the woman spoke.

"O thou who guards the gate," said she "we two cam hither, beseeching thee, to let us enter the heavenly land, and play our harps with the angle band.  Of me; St Peter, there is no doubt, there is nothing from heaven to bar me out.  I've been to meeting three times a week, and almost always I'd rise and speak. I've told the sinners about the day, when they repent of their evil way.  I told my neighbors, I've told them all, 'bout Adam and Eve, and the primal fall.  I've shown them what they'd have to do, if they'd pass in with the cholsen few.  I've marked their path of duty clear, laid out the plan for the whole career.   I've talked and talked to em loud and long, for my lungs are good, and my voice is strong.  So good St Peter you'll clearly see, the gate of heaven is open for me.

But my old man...I regret to say, hasn't walked in exactly the narrow way.  He smokes and he swears, and grave faults he's got. And I don't know if he will pass or not. He never would pray with an earnest vin, or go to revival, or join in a hymn. So I had to leave him in sorrow there, while I, with the chosen, united in prayer.  He ate what the pantry chanced to afford, While I, in my purity, sang to the Lord.  And if cucumbers were all he got, It's a chance if he merited them or not.  But O St Peter, I love him so; to the pleasures of heaven , please let him go.  I've done enough, a  saint I've been, wont that atone? Cant you let him in?

By my grim gospel, I know tis so, that the unrepentant must try below.  But isn't there some way you can see, that he may enter, who's dear to me?  It's narrow gospel by which I pray, but the chosen expect to find some way,  of coaxing, or fooling, or bribing you, so that their relations can amble through?

And say...St Peter...it seems to me, the gate isn't kept as it ought to be.  You ought  to stand by the opening there, and never sit down in that easy chair.  And say...St Peter...my sight is dimmed, But I don't like the way your whiskers are trimmed.  They're cut too wide and outward toss, they'd look better narrow, cut straight across.  Well, we must be going, our crown to win, so open, St Peter and we'll pass in."

St Peter sat quiet and stroked his staff, but , in spite of his office, he had to laugh.  Then said with a fiery gleam in his eye, "Who's tending this gateway, you or I?" And then he arose in his stature tall, and pressed a button upon the wall, and said to an imp, who came all aglow, "Escort this woman to the regions below."

The man stood still a piece of stone, stood sadly, gloomily, there alone.  A lifelong settled idea he had, that his wife was good and he was bad.  He thought if the woman went down below, that he would certainly have to go.  That if she went to the regions dim, there wasn't a ghost of a chance for him.

Slowly he turned, by habit bent, to follow wherever the woman went.  St Peter, standing on duty there, Observed that the top of his head was bare.  He called the gentleman back and said: "Friend, how long have you been wed?"  "Thirty years"(he said with a heavy sigh).  And then he thoughtfully added, "Why?"

St Peter was silent.  With head bent down, he raised his hand and scratched his crown.  Then, seeming a different thought to take, slowly, half to himself, he spake: "Thirty years with that woman there, no wonder the man hasn't any hair.  Swearing is wicked, smoking's not good, he smoked and swore...I should think he would.

Thirty years with that tongue so sharp?  O Angel Gabriel, give him  a harp.  A jeweled harp with a golden string.  Good Sir, pass in where the angels sing.  Gabriel, give him a seat alone, one with a cushion up near the Throne.  Call up some angels to play their best.  Let him enjoy the music and rest.  See that on the finest ambrosia he feeds,  he had about all the hell he needs.  It isn't just hardly the thing to do, to roast him on earth and the future too."

They gave him a harp with golden strings, a glittering robe and a pair of wings.  And he said as he entered the Realms of Day "Well this beats cucumbers, anyway."  And so the Scriptures had come to pass. The last shall be first, and the first shall be last.

Written By,
            JOSEPH BERT SMILEY

???

You keep saying "Be a man!" because you are so humble?

????????

1. profile image0
                Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because he's defending his whole person against bullsh*t, TK.  And he's right about his inherent definition of 'a man.'  Why, I'd bet even gay guys have balls (just like chicks), whereas some men, figuratively, do not. wink

1. pylos26 profile image69
                  pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lita...This guy doesn't have a clue to what your're saying.

1. profile image0

That's apparent.   wink

But I've an evolving theory on that...

2. Friendlyword profile image60

Some "people" haven't notice I have not address their comments for weeks.  Thanks for clearing up that question for me Lita. Kiss Kiss

That's a manly answer.

2. tksensei profile image60

?????????????????????????

2. profile image0

Is this anti-woman, Friendlyword? wink.

Yes, I'd go to a same sex wedding.  I used to go to gay clubs, too.  haha (true.)

I respect anyone's right to their religious beliefs, until it translates into bigotry.  I actually thought Mr. Caba was different...I guess not.  I perhaps see some of these things as somewhat ordained by age and culture (homophobia, basically), and taking that into consideration, end up having empathy for them as people and their lack of knowledge.  That doesn't excuse it, however.

I love how sweet you are when you slap somebody down. I really wish I could do that.

2. glendoncaba profile image74

Calm down and express yourself.  I feel your pain but the idea was to use the extreme to make the point.  Dont take it personal.  Nothing in your comment to get banned.  This is not about hate.  It's about ethics. 

Dont assume hate here.  Not even hate speech.

38. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

I'm at one now.

BEST ANSWER YET .... lol

39. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Lordy, won't someone please put the KJV to bed already - it's the 21st century.  We don't treat cancer with the same knowledge we had 20 years ago, why are we still reading a translation of the bible that was made from the best knowledge available at the time of the KJV publication.  If you want to build your faith on what you read in the bible, at least learn the history of the bible first.  God gave you a brain - tout it out, brush it off and spend some of those cells learning and getting your own understanding of what was happening, this is the real beginning of true faith.

40. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

...AND yes I absolutely would go to a same sex wedding - have and will again...and again...and again.  God's gift of sending you love is an honor for everyone.

41. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I would absolutely attend. I'd make a speech, play my flute, get ordained online if the couple needed someone to marry them and I'd have a great time. I had a blast at my sister-in-law's lesbian wedding and I look forward to when my best friend, who is a gay man, eventually gets married.

42. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I've attended a lesbian wedding and enjoyed it. It was not different in any substantial way from the heterosexual weddings I've attended.

43. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Absolutely why not. Free country last time I checked, but you would never know it sometimes! smile

44. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Yes I would. I've attended a commitment ceremony, it was beautiful smile I would love to attend a same sex wedding.

45. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I'm sure I could find something more important to do like laundry.

46. dyonder profile image73
    dyonderposted 14 years ago

I'd go, why not; life's too short to miss an experience.

47. pylos26 profile image69
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

Now would not that depend on the quality of the champagne?

48. DogSiDaed profile image60
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

If they were a friend or family member, of course, I would treat them the same as any other.

49. jerrydel44 profile image60
    jerrydel44posted 14 years ago

If one of the betrothed was a friend? Sure why not? Hey there is a lot worse things going on. To each his own!

50. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Actually it would not be as bad as being attending a train at a bikers function. A lot less smelly too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)