Who's smarter men or women as an average

Jump to Last Post 51-57 of 57 discussions (140 posts)
  1. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

You have to watch out for the stereotyping and biases of pseudo-scientific types as well. In a book by Matt Ridley, he discusses mating habits of primates by talking about a male "owning a harem of females that he has the rights to" but "this is seen when there is female infidelity in the group..."

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  Absolutely.  This is precisely what I'm talking about.

2. profile image0

Lita, biking like that feels so incredibly good! I'm not doing that now, I love snow but don't want to count on biking through it. When I was in the military, I used to bike the five miles to base to make it for PT (physical training). It got so I didn't want to stop. I'll have to dye my hair if I want anyone to hire me for a physical job now though.

Sorry, off subject, but it brought back great memories.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to go here, but I so agree!  I was always a runner, but I love biking...at least that distance (it is about right to work) and wouldn't give it up now.  Too many benefits.  Not much snow where I live--just a lot of frost today in the desert, smile.

3. profile image0

Very true. I like that about one person assuming you've fit the stereotype because of a particular situation when the situation may not have been what they thought at all. No one would believe it didn't prove the point.

I will say, though, that I've seen major differences in boys and girls from very young. Right now I'm looking for recommendations on hubs to read about raising little girls because I'm feeling culture shock with my granddaughter!

4. Mim.A. profile image60
    Mim.A.posted 14 years ago

This is a very easy question!

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  lol

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Jyoti, I would main that this is still too much of a generalization because, even without questioning any natural leanings/tendencies associated with the different-sex brains; there are two things to consider:  1.  Potential of each brand new baby, which is very much associated with nurturing.   The "right" nurturing would mean a child's developing brain can overcome "leanings".  Ideally, a child would have well developed areas of the brain associated with all skills.   One of the reasons there are those exceptions people always mention is that there are variations in nurturing.   One can say, "all things being equal" brand new baby boys' brains are more likely to lean in the direction of math-related areas, but all things cannot possibly be equal in nurturing.  So, given that nurturing has the potential of "taking a child" in one direction or another (in spite of any natural leanings) those natural leanings don't mean much, with the exception of the fact that if a child is to "overcome" them it would require a specific type of nurturing (either intentional or accidental).  Hence, the exceptions and hence, natural leanings don't mean much unless the child is nurtured in a way that encourages development in the same direction as those natural leanings.

Then there are studies done on people like college students or even young students.  By the time you  have a school full of kids with whatever achievement they have in any particular area, nurturing is long over and done with.  There has been a gap between girls' achievement in math, and that gap has now been substantially narrowed (or closed).  That shows that nurturing even in years beyond the toddler years makes a difference. 

We all know the stereotype of the technical person who is dismally lacking common sense when it comes to day-to-day life.  There is a good possibility that the reason such people exist is that their mothers didn't manage to nurture their brain development in a direction beyond just a natural inclination to develop math-related cognitive skills.    The role of maternal nurturing includes actually determining how well things like the stress response system and the immune system will function for the rest of a child's life.  The point it is is to much of a generalization to go beyond discussing natural leanings in terms of likely development and to instead make statements like, "girls more often do better with fine arts".  That extends way beyond the potential/leanings of a new baby without benefit of whatever kind of nurturing it will get; and instead, seems to lean toward looking at existing people, with brains already nurtured and developed, and assuming that is nurturing is less of a variable than it really it is.

With regard to the matter of men and the Olympics, I, personally, have never disputed that one.  It's kind of funny to me, though, how in discussions of "which sex is "better" men usually "play the physical strength card."   lol  lol   I have no problem whatsoever with acknowledging that boys and girls brains have natural leanings at birth, but, again, it really is too much of a generalization to make statements across-the-board about either sex beyond the leanings of a newborn.   Making the statement that "women are generally better in the fine arts" pretty much makes the statement that women cannot be gifted psychologists, MD's who are gifted in the art of diagnosing, social workers, brilliant business executives, or even extremely capable accountants.  For that matter, such a general statement seems to completely ignore the kinds of thinking skills required in knowing how to share with an infant the skill of developing reasoning ability and other thinking skills.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lisa,
      I have mentioned earlier that I am partially agree with you and I am still. I do not ignore the nurturing factor. However, I feel that you should consider the physical phenomenon. Human race is developed with both aspects not one.

Some bias people may think otherwise or try to prove supremacy of one gender above one but I am not talking in that direction. Physically and physiologically gender does matter. That's why I quoted Olympic. Though you think it funny, it is the reality.

There are smarter women in Mathematics and accounts and talented men in fine arts. However, majority is opposite. That is natural. I was talking of that nature.

I do not think that my quotes are contradicting you neither yours contradicting or against me. Both are partially true and other side of coin remains always.

Thanks for your valuable additions.
      Jyoti Kothari

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Jyoti.  (I can't believe this thread is still kicking around, and yet I popped in to see what was "the latest".   lol   The only thing I'll add is that I don't think it's funny the men generally have more physical strength than woman.  I'm fine with it and have no problem with that reality.  What I do think is funny is that when a debate is about intelligence, men are usually the ones to make sure they play that physical-strength card.  lol    In any discussions I've ever seen about "who's smarter", it has (if I recall correctly) always been a guy who strays from the real matter being discussed and plays that "physical-strength card".  I've never seen a woman stray away from such a debate and reasoning and pull out the "women-are-generally-prettyier-and-more-graceful card".  lol   I think I'll put that one out the next time cognitive abilities are being debated.  (Hope you understand this is all intended as good-natured teasing.)   smile

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I have a new theory!

1. Gay women- because they know everything and they think men are stupid.

2. Straight women- they know almost everything and they think men are stupid

3. Gay men- because they admire and want to be women and they think straight men are all neandrathals

4. Straight men- are at the bottom because they don't care.

7. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

I can find statistics to prove:
    Women are smarter than men,
    Men are smarter than women, and
    hermaphrodites are smarter than men or women.  smile

Instead of trying to prove generalizations, lets try to improve our individual intelligence.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is not to prove or disprove but the general discussion gives a lot of insight about physical, mental. intellectual and emotional strength and weakness of both men and women.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)