jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Should Christians Kiss Dating Goodbye?

1. Singlesstreetlife profile image71
    Singlesstreetlifeposted 6 years ago

There are several schools of thought regarding christians and dating.  There are some who believe dating is not what you should enter into and others who believe that it is the only way you can truly get to know someone before you commit to a life long partnership.  Tell me what you think?

1. seyiari profile image57
      seyiariposted 6 years ago in reply to this

well to me i thinking dating is good , if done in Godly way, you know i mean ? do not defile the bed. dating will help you to know the wolves in sheep skin and the sheep in wolves skin

Singlesstreetlifeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe in dating with a Godly purpose.  Or more simply put not dating just for the sake of it. But rather dating someone you believe there is potential for a more longer meaningful commitment that could lead to marriage.

1. Sa Toya profile image87
          Sa Toyaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I semi agree with you I believe we should date for the purpose of creating something more-like you said long term commitment.
          I'm not sure I went on a date with marriage on the mind. I think commitment needs establishing first and to do that you need to get to know the person...date then it flows from there. It falls into the courting category then/relationship.

But I can understand dating without really looking for more. Maybe you are dating to gain experience/ interacting. Trying something new, getting out of a rut. So you agree to go on a date or to with a guy you find attractive...then if more develops it develops and if it doesn't..it's over!

This is where I think semantics start to fudge the lines behind the meaning and or understanding of the differences between dating and courtship.

At the end of the day I believe what is fundamental is to understand why you are relating with another person. I do not believe you should not spend time getting to know someone.  It is important to see how they relate in different settings with others, how they respond to family, colleagues, friends etc.  In addition to hear their view points on what are important issues for you e.g. spiritual matters, children, finances etc.

I just feel as much as possible just dating for dating sake should be minimised. In my experience it gets boring and worse still depressing after a while. 

Having said that it important to get to know someone first before you enter in an engagement/courtship with them.

2. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I really don't see how you could get to know someone without dating. Unfortunately, these days, many teens don't date the way we did. They just "hook up" after a party or football game or something.

Agreed, hence the confusion they enter into when they are trying to define what their relationship is.

3. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

I think dad needs to make  all arrangements. No dating. Let's go back to the old ways. wink

1. 0
      Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hehehe in your dreams ralwus lol

and dating is a key ingredient in socalizing with guys in a different level than friends. Not allowing ppl to date and having arranged marriages? *gag* roll

I think we would experience more problems with our young people if we took away their right to decide.  What is needed is guidance and prays that they make the right relationship decisons. In addition they need to have an understanding of what they are 'really' getting into.

4. Cranoo profile image61
    Cranooposted 6 years ago

I personally believe it's ok to have sex with someone as long as your 18+ and truly love the person and are planning to marry them, but it should be only one person.

When I was 17-20 I was with 5 girls and that's not counting the dozens that I didn't sleep with but now I don't.

5. Hongliang Zhang profile image61
    Hongliang Zhangposted 6 years ago

Happy is the best way to keep the years´╝ü!!!

6. my last breath profile image60
    my last breathposted 6 years ago

if u dont date then how will you ever get married. its a step in establishing a relationship.

7. Mike Lickteig profile image91
    Mike Lickteigposted 6 years ago

If dating is hooking up, well then no, it only serves a single purpose.  If dating is about getting to know someone and developing feelings, then it is essential to any meaningful relationship.  Dating can occur in a Christian way (or in a way Christians can approve of). 

Dating doesn't have to be top stakes, though--it isn't just about preparing for marriage.  It's also about socialization and learning to relate well to others in an increasingly mature fashion.  It has its role in our process of maturation, and we need it to learn to interact as adults.