Can we discuss anything with a best friend or a spouse?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

Do you think that we can discuss anything and everything with a close friend, a spouse or a parent? Or are there some things that you would never try to discuss?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi haunty I think that you can discuss anything to a person any topic you are comfortable with (trust with the person you are confiding to is needed specially if it is a sensitive issue)

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I concur smile

2. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any topic is a possible topic of discussion with someone, but not with everyone. You have to know the person well before you determine which topics will forever remain off limits in any relationship. It's not so much what you are uncomfortable with as what they will be unable to process. No point in overwhelming another person.

3. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think there are limits no matter how much trust is in the relationship. Some topics you can discuss with a best friend that you probably shouldn't discuss with your spouse.  If you don't think so, let yourself get caught in the "how do I look in these jeans" discussion. smile

Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I was talking about real discussions. smile

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Philosophy, Religion, Politics, those kinds of discussions? Well in that case discuss away.

I meant discussions with an outcome. I could've been more specific. Sorry. smile

I'm of the mind that philosophy, religion and politics are mostly discussed for pleasure or amusement.

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any secrets kept breaks the 3 golden rules for a successful relationship, which are trust, honesty and communication. Secrets, betrays trust, proves to be dishonest, and clearly demonstrates a lack of communication.

To believe that one can keep anything from anyone who is considered to be a friend, spouse or even parent, damages each one of those relationships. And does so, willingly. smile

Which then begs to ask- What kind of person are they really? smile

Just a thought. smile

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes there are things that are kept from a loved one for their protection, odd as that may seem; the alternative could be potentially painful or worse.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Wrong. smile

1. profile image0

Are you married my friend? lol

1. profile image0
              lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/animated/anim_63.gif

2. Cagsil profile image70

Don't need to be, to understand relationships on the deeper more intimate level. Love is suppose to be the basis for your relationship, if married. This means, trust - honesty and communication is required.

If you say no, then you're understanding of Love is misperceived.

Your friendship with another person, should be on the similar basis, mutual Love and understanding of one another.

Again, if you say no, then you've obvious misunderstand the true meaning of friendship.

So, again, you are wrong. But, thank you for your input, it is very valuable to getting to know you. Appreciate. smile

1. profile image0

Actually, in this case I believe it is I who has learned a great deal about you. Thank you. big_smile

2. Haunty profile image74

lol, I am an Earthling, a humanoid. smile

5. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

you can not discuss everything with one person. it would be nice, but it doesnt happen. everyone has thier own limits of what they can and cant handle.

6. EnglishRose profile image53
      EnglishRoseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We should be able to discuss anything with our best friend or spouse, they should make us feel that whatever we tell them will not be judged or critisised and should not affect how they view or treat us, if you cnanot do that with them then the relationship isn't what you thought it was.

2. maudine_05 profile image60
    maudine_05posted 14 years ago

Hey Myth!!!
    yes < I agree, it depends on how you really trust or close to  the person and the seriousness of the discussion.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi guapa maudine how are you friend?

1. maudine_05 profile image60
        maudine_05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im doing great...will you have roast pig for the new year?

3. mpurcell10 profile image60
    mpurcell10posted 14 years ago

I think that depends on the relationship. I talk with my husband about everything except him. I tell him when he ticks me off but I don't go off about everything but when I get with one of my girlfriends I let it all out about him. This way we don't fight so much. Don't get me wrong I love to make up but 20 years and 8 kids and we work together, we have enough to fight about. We talk and try not to fight.

4. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

Thank you.

I always tell what I think whereas sometimes it would be much better if I shut up before I uttered the words.

Aya - Of course not. I think my question is a bit theoretical, because I was wondering if there could really be such a close relationship as would make it possible to discuss anything.

mpurcell - Yes, you hit the nail on the head. lol It's about the other person. I like being the subject of discussion myself, but some people don't take it too well when it's about them.

5. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

Certain topics can be out of line with even the closest friend or a parent if you both have very strong opposing opinions. Some folks love to argue and discuss matters in disagreement. It can be great fun and really make you think. But it depends on the person. Certain people have a problem with you thinking that they are stupid idiots who listen to that jerk on the radio....

Ok. It's one eye open now. I'm still hoping though. smile

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I think some of us share more with our best friends than our spouses.  There are just certain things a spouse doesn't need to know (like previous experiences) that could hurt him/her.  Some things best left unsaid.  A  best friend however,if they are truly that, will not judge you on anything you can tell them.

Thanks, Kim. That's certainly true. And smart. smile

1. profile image0

big_smile

2. profile image0

lol

1. profile image0

We baffle you yet again? lol

3. Diskobolos profile image57
      Diskobolosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shouldn't our spouses be our best friends?smile

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ha
        that would be nice. Idealy, yes. it doenst happen so much tho.

2. Chloe Comfort profile image61
        Chloe Comfortposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree smile My spouse is and always has been my best friend. There isn't anything I can't discuss with him or tell him. He's the one person I can be completely open and honest with - even if he doesn't like what I'm saying. I've known him over 25 years and there isn't anything he doesn't know about me - including past experiences.

So my answer is YES - you can discuss anything with either a friend, parent or spouse - just depends on the relationship you have with that person.

Well said. smile big_smile

3. Cagsil profile image70

They are suppose to be the one person you should be able to tell anything. Regardless of what it is about. Anything short, is contentment/settling, for what they have in a relationship, instead of looking for love. Some do it to survive, because they cannot survive on their own. They don't want to face the world or live alone, looking for love?

Many claim to understand love, yet to also know there is no value to love? But, there is a spiritual value to love that is mistaken or overlooked.

Just a thought. smile

7. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

There are certain things, many actually that I cannot discuss with my spouse. She is opinionated, argumentative and downright arrogant at times. So I don't discuss many things with her.

8. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

Discussing every thing with your partner is xtremely important for a relationship. Avoid secrets and be straight with your spouse than with a best friend.

9. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Not being able to discuss everything with a friend, or a spouse or a parent is not necessarily about keeping secrets. It's about what the other is capable of processing. Let's say you are a physicist and are very troubled about an issue in quantum mechanics. Ideally, you should be able to discuss anything with your spouse. But let's say your spouse never graduated from high school and is not capable of understanding nor willing to listen to a discussion of a subject this abstract. Should you impose on your spouse? Or should you keep your troubling thoughts to yourself? Will it affect your level of intimacy with your spouse if the things that are uppermost in your mind cannot be shared? Yes, but it's not something that can really be helped.

This works when love is obtained, nothing less than it.

If you cannot rant, rave or complain to your partner, so you can argue thru a problem, such as your example, then it is not love that hold the partnership together, nor is compassion? So, how this relationship would last longer than 6 months, would be impressive to say the least.

When love is involved, compassion rules and she tries her best to help him work thru the problem, if he sees fit to include her for some odd reason. To anything less isn't love.
      Yes, it can, when love rules the relationship. Openness of oneself to the one you love, is the essence of spirituality for humans, so as they can feel right in the world. As screwed up as it is right now.

If I offended you. It wasn't my intention. But, to explain what I understand love to be. smile

10. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 14 years ago

No, because it is possible for the relations to break-up and if you have shared too many secrets then it can cause you harm in many ways. There is an old saying that "Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead!!" wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)