Premarital Counselling An Important Prerequisite To Marriage Yes Or No

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Singlesstreetlife profile image60
    Singlesstreetlifeposted 14 years ago

I believe if more couples were to go through premarital counselling they would stand a better chance of marital success than those that who do not.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, maybe it is a chance to get them NOT to do it! hehehe

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not to a couple who has based their relationship on love. smile

It would only do good, those who have issues to be worked through. smile

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if there are 'issues' before they are married.. God help them AFTER they are married! lol

3. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Counseling before marriage is a great way for a couple to prepare for a life long commitment together as husband and wife.  The younger the couple, physically and emotionally, the more important the process becomes.  Good counseling will lead to discussions about topics that may not otherwise be encountered during the usual period of the courtship.  I am not an expert on this subject but I do have some experience.  My wife and I benefited from an organized premarital counseling program 48 years ago.  I can tell you that the process was not evil, a symptom of fear, or the result of neurosis.  It was, however, a joint effort to learn about some the choices that we might have to face in the future.  For us, at least, it was part a conscious decision to avoid, if possible, getting married, getting divorced, and doing it all again.

4. goldenpath profile image66
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I am approached by a couple to marry I have them go through three sessions with me.  Each session is broken into three different categories.  In the last ten years or so I have made it a common practice with me.

5. Black Lilly profile image61
      Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If someone needs counselling BEFORE marriage, what will happen AFTER?!
      Is "marital success" understood as a prolonged agony in this sense - like, "whatever happens, as long as we're together"?

I think if someone can't understand the consequences of getting married, they should definitely wait.

6. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why? hmm

They wouldn't fight so much if they had Pre-Nup agreements! tongue

7. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been through it, back in 1996..had to go to 3 sessions...did not make any difference in either of our lives..so actually, in my experience, it does not make a difference.

2. fishtiger58 profile image70
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

Maybe that is true. I guess it would depend on the couple involved. My husband and I did not go to premarital counselling and we have been married 23 years and together 27 years. We have a great marriage and we both know it's forever.

1. Singlesstreetlife profile image60
      Singlesstreetlifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How I wish more could have such a great testimony like you.

3. profile image0
    tequilarosemama4posted 14 years ago

i feel it would be advisable to go through premarital counseling. to make sure that both partys involved are on the same team or page together. it also helps them see what the other person may be feeling about getting married and all.

4. Tadeusz598 profile image75
    Tadeusz598posted 14 years ago

Counselling is an evil: a symptom of fear, of lack of inner conviction, of neurosis. We do not need it.

Counselling proffers pseudo-wisdom: it has no philosophical base, no culture, nor wit, or passion.  It's joyless, navel-gazing and destructive.

It's a pseudo-profession, never truly scrutinised by empirical research. It's all fakery and platitude, conducted by nobodies.

Get married, get divorced, suffer and love. Then do it again.

But please, please, please, please do not do counselling.

5. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

No

6. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

In most cases pre marital counselling is a waste of time.  The couple in question are usually going through that heightened chemical reaction that happens when you're in love.  They would agree to anything.  Any talk of difficulties later on fall on deaf ears as the ears also are muffled by that same chemical reaction.

Once the chemical reaction has worn off then counselling might work.  Hopefully the said couple can withstand the shock of reality when this happens. lol

1. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even couples whose relationships are based on love (and heaven help anyone whose relationships are based on anything else) might have things that need to be worked out before they become issues. It can help to work out matters like finances, family planning, religious or cultural differences, how to raise the children, and expectations regarding marriage with the help of a neutral third party months before the wedding.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think so too. love doesn't mean you've thought everything through. my oldest son is now engaged and I gave him one of those planning type books that cover all of those things that valerie has posted. and we talk about things to consider.  I think it certainly could help, why not? we want our young couples to succeed. too many go into it with no real direction for the long term.

7. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I think that differs for every couple. my husband are still young in our marriage (2 years) but we went without and we are doing just fine, on the same page and everything.

8. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Ive been married 5 times and have never had premarital counseling! So take it from me its not needed. big_smile

9. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Probably more important with younger couples.

10. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

honesty is the best policy  . monogamy is not natural its the exception not the rule . its hard work .  they dont tell you that in counseling .

11. profile image53
    Amazin Gracieposted 14 years ago

Think it's good to establish a solid plan for marriage. If unable to do alone, counseling sounds like great guide.

12. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

Ireland is a dominantly Catholic country, so most marrages happen through the Catholic Church, before you can get married in the Catholic Church you have to do a pre-marrage course, however, the only contraceptive method taught at these pre-marrage courses is the Rythm method, this is the method of using a themometor etc to test a woman when she is least likely to concieve each month, great theory, but on a Saturday night when a man and woman have consumed some beers it dont work great, so too many woman having too many children, courses can be helpful others are just a waste of time, find love find happiness, mots people today get married for the big day out, then after a few months they get tired of the mondain tasks and want to go clubbing again, marrage has become a commodity to be bought and then discarded as it suits......Katie price syndrome....

13. hollywoodjames profile image60
    hollywoodjamesposted 14 years ago

If you feel you need counseling BEFORE getting married...forget about it and don't do it!!!  Contrary to what people think, a good solid, loving relationship DOES NOT take work.  If you have to work on keeping your relationship together, end it and start a new one.  The problem is that many people lack the self-discipline and commitment to keep a relationship together, always thinking they're missing out on something better and constantly looking.  Focus on what you have and enjoy it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)