jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)

Romance/attraction question:

1. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 7 years ago

Do you need to see someone's face to know you're attracted to them? Like if you were going on a dating site and could read someone's profile but couldn't see their picture, could you be attracted to them?

I don't think I could - not because I'm shallow. Looks are important to me, but not like what you're thinking. A guy doesn't have to be good-looking for me to be attracted to him, but he has to look masculine. In fact, I'd rather have an average-looking "manly man" than a handsome not-so-manly man any day!!

How 'bout you?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

nah.

there's one guy on here whose face i've never seen but i kind of like him

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image83
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 7 years ago

I never really thought about it.  I've been with my hubby for so long (not saying I'm beyond being attracted to other men, but its usually superficial... this question seems more about something deeper.)But, I will say that I fell in love with his smile the first time I saw him.  I don't know that I'd need to see someone to be attracted to them in some way... I've made friends online w/o ever seeing a picture, and to me attraction is just a step further than friendship, but making eye contact, seeing a smile, hearing a laugh - I'm not sure I could fall the final distance without those things.

And, I tend to be a visual person, so I think that even if I did start a relationship w/o ever seeing someone, I would still be picturing somebody in my head... I wonder what it would be like when I did meet the person and the images didn't match up?  (Kind of like seeing a movie version of your favorite book and the characters don't look the way they are "supposed to.")

3. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

k@ri and I had a strong attraction to each other through reading each other's hubs and chatting constantly via IM and phone.

She had seen my pictures and she sent me a couple, but this was a long time after we had become romantically intertwined. It wasn't until our first face to face meeting that the obvious was just more true.

I don't think a simple profile on a dating site would work for this, though...it was our writings that allowed us to gaze into each others soul and personalities more than anything.

4. Going2Oahu profile image61
    Going2Oahuposted 7 years ago

I not only would need to see his face but also to interact with him personally. I always wondered how a woman could fall in love with (and sometimes marry) someone who is incarcerated without ever seeing him in person. They just sorta' exchange letters and fall in love? Kinda' weird.

1. profile image0

with all of the available, desirable men in the world, why would a woman go after someone in prison? yikes

1. Going2Oahu profile image61
        Going2Oahuposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Exactly! But yet you hear about it all the time. I mean, I can see why a man in prison might start writing love letters to women, but I can't understand the other way around. Nice meeting ya' Cosette!

1. profile image0

i think they are just preying on them or something. i can only imagine the first date: "Sooo, tell me a little about yourself. Aside from the armed robbery conviction, I mean." wink

(oh nice meeting you too smile

say, there's a good reason! sign me up! big_smile

2. EmpressFelicity profile image83
        EmpressFelicityposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It's one of the mysteries of life, which has always puzzled me too.  Maybe they want a bit of vicarious badness/notoriety?

Guess so. Did you know that there's a meet an inmate website that is in the business of putting these couples together. Kinda' like an eHarmony for convicted felons. Crazy!

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
            EmpressFelicityposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Don't tell me... let me guess: match.con?

1. profile image0

big_smile clever!

5. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

I use time to learn bout a guy n if we will work out but looks do have to be presentable hmm

6. Gina Coole profile image86
    Gina Cooleposted 7 years ago

If you hit on a man in prison at least he won't keep leaving the toilet seat up or dirty socks around the bedroom!

lol - haven't had that problem yet. My dad is pretty good about that really and I'm still at home. Besides, boys are dumb smile

7. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

Sounds weird, but sometimes I find people's accents attracting. (i.e speaking on the phone, without having met the person).
    Ps. keep all the French guys away from me. lol smile

8. Bill Manning profile image72
    Bill Manningposted 7 years ago

I would need to see her, but not because of her looks. I have met girls online and did lots of IM'ing and emails back and forth. They each seemed so right, so perfect.

BUT,,,, once I met them in person they were totally different than I expected. You really CAN'T tell how a person is just by talking to them without seeing them and doing things with them.

9. ThoughtfulSpot profile image83
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 7 years ago

Is everyone writing V-Day hubs?  It seems as though there's a lot of romance in the cyber-air around the forums today.

10. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 7 years ago

for romance I would need to see a lot more than just his face!  heh heh

11. DogSiDaed profile image60
    DogSiDaedposted 7 years ago

I'd like to see someone in real life, if only to confirm their gender! tongue

I would be concerned about using these sites personally as there are some strange people on there...But it obviously works for some smile

working