jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

Mistaking a her for a him

1. SandyMcCollum profile image79
    SandyMcCollumposted 7 years ago

It's been brought to my attention a lot lately, and I wonder if others do it, too.

When I look at someone's artwork, I automatically make a silent judgment on the artists' sex. Sometimes I'm surprised to find out a man did a certain work, and visa-versa. I also do it when I read something that I haven't looked at the writer's name before reading. Once, I spoke with someone on a forum for months thinking she was a man. When I made a reference to her as 'him' she blasted me for not knowing by then and I was sorely embarrassed.

Do You ever do that?

1. chinweike profile image44
      chinweikeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes is a mind thing

2. TheGlassSpider profile image80
      TheGlassSpiderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I can understand what you mean. In certain media it can be very difficult to know the gender of the person with whom you're dealing.

Having been on the receiving end of such confusion-face to face-(because my mother forced me to have short hair as a child, and my real name is sort of...gender neutral), I know how hurtful it can be and I try to be very careful about my assumptions.

However, now that I've grown up, and there is no mistake that I am all woman (at least in person), I look back and understand how easy it might have been to confuse me for a little boy, and I try to be forgiving when people make the mistake.

I guess we just all need to try to see as much of others people's sides of things as we can, be honest when we make mistakes, and do the best we kind to be kind and understanding.

3. shazwellyn profile image83
      shazwellynposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I used to work with a woman who looked like billy bunter.  Her name was Donna but I had this block and kept calling her Donny!  Sooooooo embarrassing!

2. profile image0
    Denno66posted 7 years ago

I usually hang back and wait for someone else to say his or her name before I pipe in. Safe, I know, but it works for me. big_smile

3. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

A common mistake many do lol even people on tv or on the streets, we say, is that man or woman tongue is up to other person to forgive or not though hmm

4. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 7 years ago

Hell I still get mail addressed to Miss and I'm a Mr! That's what you get when your name is Kerry I guess! Now you all know.... lol

1. shazwellyn profile image83

I used to know a man called Kym .. so I know where you are here!  Im glad you let me know that you are a guy though... I will know in the future Kerryx  Why did your parents name you that? x

1. K Partin profile image61
        K Partinposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was named after Kerry Drake a detective in the comics! Different I guess. It was pretty cool when John Kerry ran for president, I had Kerry for president Tee-shirts....lol

1. shazwellyn profile image83

Just a good thing his first name wasnt Kerry too!  He would be called kerry kerry... imagine that!

I did know a guy called wayne king though... and that must have been awful for him! x

1. profile image0
            Denno66posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Or Richard Head, yikes!

1. K Partin profile image61
              K Partinposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ha! I knew a Russian named Rotsyourcockoff! lol

5. SandyMcCollum profile image79
    SandyMcCollumposted 7 years ago

Right on, I'm not alone then. big_smile

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Well here it can be tricky to say the least. LOL I have made that mistake a few times. I am more cautious now and still am wary of some of those I read and commune with. Still it is a fun place to be. I'm a girl by the way. wink

1. frogdropping profile image85
      frogdroppingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

lawllllll lol

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 7 years ago in reply to this

LOLOLOLOL smile

Lots of people have called me a man (even though "Madame" is obviously female) as an insult. I take it as a compliment though - I thoroughly enjoy how men think and express themselves smile

working