Is polygamy good or bad?

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (110 posts)
  1. hubby7 profile image64
    hubby7posted 14 years ago

Here's my take on the question: I think that polygamy could be a good thing provided that all parties to the  equation are responsible and ethical. That means that parents must provide for the emotional, economic, educational support of their children and of each other. That said, let me state that polygamy can be good in, at least, two regards: People can pool their monies together and attain economic clout. For instance, if you had three spouses, you could buy a house and basic necessities together. Another thing: As the saying goes, "Variety is the spice of life". Sure, lemon marauge might be my favorite pie, but I would like to try some other kinds such as cherry, blueberry, and pecan pie. That's my take on the question. What's yours?

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If marriage doesn't work most of the times, how can you think polygamy would work? lol

The only kind of polygamy that works, is having different affairs at the same time. And that ,because it's fun.

hubby7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never said it would work. But if it did, just think of the benefits!

I don't see any! lol

2. Mbhekwa c khumalo profile image58
        Mbhekwa c khumaloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No it better for you to know that you are not alone to him rather than found out that he having an afear with others.

2. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why marry at all then? Why even bother with any kind of commitment? Then you can have all the variety you want without any of the responsibility! If you get them pregnant, so what, that's their problem!

Again, I am talking about responsible polygamy, not exploitation. I am talking about the good of the whole, not of just one element of the whole. I am talking about polygamy with responsibility and with commitment.

1. profile image0
          Wag The Dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you showing the "first" wife responsibility, as you neglect her?  Are you showing any of them "commitment"  when you leave them for another?  The answer to both questions is, No.

1. profile image0
            Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Consenting adults should be free to do as they wish. That doesn`t mean that their maritial arangements won`t lead to problems or will be successful.

I agree. There are no guarantees in life.

2. kerryg profile image83
            kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Historically, societies that have practiced polygamy on a routine basis tend to have customs that are supposed to protect women against these kinds of abuses.

In Islam, a man can have up to four wives, but only if he is able to provide equally for them and their children. In American Indian cultures that practiced polygamy, divorce was very easy to obtain and carried no social stigma for women who were unhappy in their marriages. Polygamous societies also tend to encourage men to marry sisters or women to marry brothers in the theory that this will result in less conflict and adjustment.

That's not to say that these guidelines are always followed, but in societies where polygamy is widely practiced and legal, it's usually not as big a deal to the people involved as we Americans think it would be, and most polygamous men and women would be completely baffled by statements suggesting that people with multiple spouses cannot be genuinely committed and devoted to all of them.

1. tonymac04 profile image72
              tonymac04posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks kerryg - I have been hoping that someone would point out that polygamy has been practised from the earliest recorded time and that in some societies it is seen as completely normal. There is too much judgement of other societies from the exclusively western point of view. In some societies polygamy is actually good for all concerned. Thanks for bringing some clarity into this debate.

Thanks for your thoughts and levelheadedness. Sometimes we have to forget who we are and put down our Western lenses and take on a totally different view from our own. We have to try to walk in another person's mocassins and develop arguments contrary to what we believe.

1. profile image0
                  sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know! Like from civilized to barbarian, you know, devolution!

All I have to say is if that is how you see it, you have a right to your opinion. However, I beg to disagree. From my perspective, it's neither evolution nor devolution. It is difference---a different way of doing things.

2. hubby7 profile image64

Thanks for not talking off the top of your head and actually pointing us to historical data in which polygamy is a common thing. I have not personally done any studies or reading on polygamy, so I don't have the facts. Thank you for sharing some with us on this forum.

3. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It works for me lol

4. mintinfo profile image64
      mintinfoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Polygamy is a residual instinctual desire within some men control women. Ask women if they would marry two or more men and 99% will say no. As men became civilized and most turned to religious guidance to control these natural desires the institution of marriage was used to bind one man to one woman. In the past the ruling classes in most countries, cultures and religions kept the practice reserved for themselves above the common man. Now in modern days we find that the common man can rise in stature and seek the same privileges he desires as the elite. It all boils down to the same power trip that men seek over woman. While some might say it is not about control but about freedom I would ask "would you allow one of your wives to have another man"?

1. A Thousand Words profile image68
        A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ever heard of Polyandry? There are two forms of polygamy. Polygyny and Polyandry. Polygyny is multiple wives, and polyandry is multiple husbands. It happens less often, but can be found in Africa, Asia, Europe, The Pacific Islands, etc...

5. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

One must ask goldenpath that question.

6. speedbird profile image59
      speedbirdposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't advocate for polygamy since it can be very cumbersome and expensive to maintain.

7. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it should be illegal.  I think it should be the right of the people to marry whom they like, & if they so wish be a part of a poligimist marriage.  I don't think they should necessarily receive any tax benefit for marrying x number of wives or husbands.  But they should be allowed to live free in this country.

8. profile image58
      renae1979posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't really think that poly-anything really works in the long term or for the benefit of all involved (polyamory, polygamy or polyandry).  Relationships are hard enough when it is only two people....the more people you add, the more issues there tends to be.

2. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

It's not something that appeals to me personally, but I don't have any objections to the practice as long as the people involved are consenting adults.

My sister-in-law is staying with us temporarily right now and I think we've both been enjoying having a built-in babysitter, and the reduced workload from being able to split the housework and cooking among three adults instead of two. It's nice! Still, though, I look forward to times when she and her kids are away and it's just me, my husband, and our daughter together.

3. hubby7 profile image64

I know what you mean. You would like to have your privacy. But in the case of a polygamistic household, everybody would be family. In your case, you have two different families living in one household, which, of course, is not polygamy. Thanks for your comments.

4. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Polygyny is still practiced in a few other nations. smile I suggest you move there as you seem to be a great fan. As for me, I'm too much a Alpha female lol too territorial anybody come near my guy or if he strays wink I guess if it's allowed for a guy...well..a woman should be allowed to have another husband big_smile

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But who would want to come home to 2 or 3 husbands? !  smile

Not me, if I were of women--but 2or 3 wives? Now you're talking!~

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely -one husband is more than enough ,in fact it feels like 3 people rolled into one anyways..Yayyyy (not) lol

What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

3. profile image0
      V Qisyaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"I guess if it's allowed for a guy...well..a woman should be allowed to have another husband".

Yep, why not? 3 hubbies, please. For breakfast, lunch and dinner respectively wink

Hahaha!

5. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

Unfortunately, polygamy is often used as an excuse by older men to bring a young teenaged girl into the set up.

that's cheating !
      lol

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmmmmmmmmm, hypothetically speaking of course, how would one go about doing this?

3. hubby7 profile image64

Such behavior is not inherent in the state of polygamy. Such doings lies in the unethical nature of the individual.

6. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Yes, there may be some advantages to polygamy, but from what I've read and observed, it's mostly extremely complicated. First, most polygamous families are not financially independent. Since they are technically not married, (otherwise they could be prosecuted) then the other "wives" live on welfare, because in most all cases women are to stay home, not work. Second, the problem of inbreeding and genetic deformaties such as retardation, etc., go astronomically high. Third, regardless of how you slice it or dice it, there is an incredible amount of deceit and jealously since most people feel insecure sharing a spouse. Fourth, the kids are totally messed up about relationships, can't ever quite figure them out, and usually perpetuate the same dysfunctional lifestyle in their own lives, even after they leave polygamous environments. Fifth, these people are always on the run, always in hiding and always in fear of being found out, prosecuted and they have a very twisted perspective of the rest of the world, society and the law.

Imagine the trauma of the children being taken from their parents and families in Texas. That will leave some psychological damage for the rest of their lives, not to mention all the twisted things they are told by their families after the fact. Can't be good.

I don't think the advantages outweigh these disadvantages.

Well stated, Carter. You present both a factual and historical argument in support of your position. However, I was thinking more of "enlightened polygamy" (i.e. polygamy with a human faace)  in which the parties to the relationship were both responsible and ethical and the institution were legal.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, for the record, I think if there could be such a thing as "enlightened" polygamy, it would be fine. But for most people, it's just too complex and they are too insecure to not make it a nightmare. And I agree with Aya Katz that for those who are already living in polygamy, it may actually help to legalize it, with some stipulations to prevent abuse of various kinds.

I'm not against polygamy as an idea, but in practice, the evidence seems pretty compelling against it.

Perhaps.

7. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

We shouldn't confuse the downside of polygamy itself with the perils of being in an illegal relationship.

While polygamy does not appeal to me personally, for those families that are already polygamous, legalization would be a very big help.

8. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

I disagree that there would be more inbreeding, but I can see lots of ways it could be unhealthy to be in such a family. Me, I'm way too selfish to share my man with anyone. I sure couldn't do it.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

The more and younger the merrier. And yes Dolores, I am an old man lol

10. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Polygamy sucks as you cant maintain families, economically and emotionally and the children will be confused too, neglected as you can only handle and take care at the most ideal number of children and spouse plus you get tired too, physically working and then sexually hehehehe....

Hi Prettydarkhorse. All I have to say to that is, as my mom would often say, "Exposure constitutes immunity". We're human. We can adapt.

11. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I am against it, so you are saying that it is o.k. for a man to have multiple wives? Well then a woman should be able to have multiple husbands. One that runs her bath water and washes her hair, another who cooks all of the meals and takes care of the children while she works and a third who runs all of the errands, so she can enjoy relaxation time and pampering. What do you men think about that? smile

1. Mitch Rapp profile image61
      Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The only problem with this is gay men don't like women.

That's not a problem. Gays would have 2 or 3 gay partners and form a polygamus union.

No, I didn't say that it was okay for men to have multiple wives. I said that polygamy could be beneficial whether that be of a man having more than one wife or a woman having one or more husbands. Note too that I spoke of a relationship in which the partners are responsible and ethical, not exploitative, irresponsible, and immoral. All parties to the agreement are family; hence they look out for each other--husbands, wives, and children. I term such a theorectical union "enlighted polygamy" or polygamy with a human face.

3. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say if you can arrange that, you're a genius and to be envied.

4. Isabelle22 profile image60
      Isabelle22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here here.

12. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

It would probably be alright if they all got the same amount of attention and love.  How does the saying go.  You cannot serve two master because you will love one more than the other... something like that.

You might be right. But we will never know until we run a test or look at historical instances of such relationships.

13. Shalini Kagal profile image55
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

It might soon become necessary in many Eastern countries, what with male:female ratios being heavily skewed. Between India and China, there could be more than 100 million men surplus this year - so if men want to get married, maybe they will just have to get used to sharing a wife big_smile

How many men, do you think, are willing to do that? Sharing a girl friend perhaps, but a wife, I don't know of any men who are into that.

14. profile image0
    Wag The Dogposted 14 years ago

I like to keep it simple.  When I took my vows, it was to the old line, to love, honor, and cherish.  If I am in bed with, or showing affection to another women, I am not keeping to that vow.  Am I showing the one I made the vow to "love" as I am "loving" another?  Did I honor her as I place my needs or the other concubines needs, before her needs? Does she feel cherished, while I neglect her?

15. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

I don't know her.  I guess it depends on how she acts in public.

16. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

If you're going to open padoras box you might as well throw the lid away.

17. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Gay marraige, polygamy, prostitution, nambla, adultery and abortion what a nice set of activities, who could say no?

18. hubby7 profile image64

Thank you all for your comments. It's been exciting! For most of you, it seems that polygamy is a bad thing and would not work. For the couple of hubbers on the other side, they argue that polygamy is practical plus ethical. It has been working for centuries in some non-Western societies. Keep posting, and when I can, I will keep commenting.

19. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Are you serious I'm flat out with just one man plus I'm not going to compete with other women, I'm a one man women. smile smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just imagine - you, me, MOW, Tantrum... wink

Good. Stay that way. It's your choice. Perhaps it's not your cup of tea, but perhaps it is others.

20. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

haha sneakorocksolid!  ..."devolution".....that's exactly what the liberal mindset is!

Simple answer to the thread post---
    Polygamy is bad.
    No man has the capability of equally caring for or about several women.  And it leads to the notion that the man is a "god" of some type.  Cases in point would be Jim Jones and David Koresh and a myriad of others who manipulated other men into giving them their wives, etc.

1. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brenda. I am going to pray for you.

21. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

I'm not opposed to other people living in polygamist households, as long as they are consenting adults.

By consenting adults, I mean they are 18 years old or over and the marriage was not an arranged marriage.

I was recently watching a television special about a part of the United States that still allows polygamy. Some of the households were quite happy and quite organized, but there were horror stories as well.

In many polygamist societies, the girls marry a man they have never met. The man is usually older because their religion believes that a woman who marries an older man becomes closer to God. When their husband dies, the women are still married to each other and any man who chooses to marry one of them must marry all of them.

In one such horror story, a girl was married to a 38 year old man when she was only 15 years old. He became her husband, as well as her legal guardian. Her husband had 17 other wives and they all lived in three separate houses. Her husband would go stay the night in the house with the wife he wanted to have sex with. Any woman who refused him would be beaten and raped by him. This girl was afraid of him, but had two children by him. When she turned 18, she sought help and divorced him, but lost her children and was banished from the community. Her parents won't even speak to her because she has gone against their religion.

So, I guess there are two sides to everything. Personally, I would not want to be in a polygamist relationship, but some women are very happy with it. Others don't turn out so well, just like regular marriages.

I can see both the good parts of this and the bad parts of this. To each their own, I suppose.

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that sounds like the FLDS. Their issues go way, way beyond polygamy!

http://community.livejournal.com/0hmyheck/
      http://www.rickross.com/groups/polygamy.html
      http://www.childbrides.org/

Actually, their existence is one of the reasons I think polygamy should be legalized in this country. Making it illegal has only given sickos like Warren Jeffs more power over their "wives" because it forces the practice into secrecy. The FLDS is very powerful in some parts of Texas, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah, so I'm sure some of the abuses would continue even if it were legalized, but it would be that much harder to hide "marriages" to 11 year old girls, and to help girls and women who wanted to escape the lifestyle.

Thanks for the balanced view. There's good and bad in just about everything. So too with polygamy. Because there are bad applications of polygamy doesn't mean that polygamus by nature is bad. Just like there existence of murder doesn't give democracy a bad name. It's not the system, but the people taking advantage of others who are part of the system that is bad. The same can be said in respect to one-man-one-woman marriage. They are not all bad. Nor are they all good.

22. profile image0

Denno66,
    if you're gonna be praying to God for me, then I'll welcome that.  Somehow I doubt it though.

1. profile image0

Actually, all sarcasm aside, for a Christian person, you hold a great deal of animosity towards others; even in the snide comments that are made. So, in conclusion; yes, I will, for you know not the pain you are causing yourself through your actions.

23. profile image0

Animosity? Pain?  What are you talking about?  You sure are negative in your judgement of me.  Oh well.
    By the way, again,

who or what would you be praying to for me?

1. profile image0

Negative? On the contrary, unless you wish to label yourself negative as well; I was merely holding up a mirror to you. It's not pretty is it? That harsh criticism of others? Apparently my statement went well over your head. My apologies. As for the to whom I would be praying? I don't pray to a WHO or What for that matter. I wish well unto others.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't pray to the shepherd?

1. profile image0

Ssshhhhh.

24. profile image0

hmm..well, no I've never considered my face particularly pretty..   
    and that's not important to me.

Ah, but you mean to say I'm hypocritical.
    A word often used on people who actually have the guts to say something, anything, is just plain wrong.

Sorry, but your opinion of me isn't the most important thing to me.

1. profile image0

Um, okay. That would be wrong according to your beliefs; not everyone shares those same beliefs, no? I wasn't formulating an opinion of you; you could be Jeffrina Dalmer, for all I care. But, again, I may have overshot my mark. Ah, but nevermind; an inflexible mind is akin to a brick wall.

25. Milla Mahno profile image59
    Milla Mahnoposted 14 years ago

I'd love polygamy! Dishes, cleaning, all household chores can be shared! And look, he will find somebody else to fuck anyway, 90% of them or more are cheating anyway - at least you get some benefit out of it big_smile

When I raised the question regarding polygamy, that is just what I had in mind--sharing responsibility--household chores, paying bills, saving for a downpayment on a house, in a word, taking care of each other emotionally, economically, and the like.

1. Milla Mahno profile image59
        Milla Mahnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On a second thought, polyamory looks even better wink

26. hubby7 profile image64

As we argue this topic, let us try to stay away from attacking each other personally, and stay focussed on attacking each other's argument instead. Let's aim for less heat and more light.

27. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I can't imagine sharing a house with other PMSing hormonal and neurotic women. Has anyone seen Big Love? If Nicky was my sister wife I'd shoot myself! Too much drama... no, thank you!

28. profile image0

How about a wife per three husbands? All of them doing house work and raising kids, while the woman goes on business trips all over the world? wink

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where do I sign up? smile

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL You'd be my second husband, you know? smile

2. profile image0

You may sign up at the Everglades Post Office - the smalles post office bld in the world. You'll be greeted by Al. He's green, has a big smile and a strange green skin complexion. No need to fear him! lol
        http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4644395_f248.jpg

29. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

polygamy LOL, as long as your partners are all happy. About children, well, I just hope that when you indulge in it, you think about the welfare of the children because you can only take care and provide emotional and financial support to a minimum number of children.

Quality is more preferred than quantity. I bet it will get you bald, more sex, more responsibility etc. LOL

30. profile image0

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4644357_f248.jpg

This was my idea of a beautiful family. Unfortunately, I am 35 and haven't started popping babies! Am I too late? lol

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey klara, LOL. How r u?

cute family.. a whole lot!!

1. profile image0

LOL Doing good! Thanks! HOw about you?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good, too late to reply,, take care

31. spookyfox profile image59
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

I've just written a hub about this subject. But I have some doubts: Is poligamy strictly speaking, living with multiple partners? Is it one of one sex, with several of the other?

1. profile image0

Yes, I believe so. One husband and more than one wife, or viceversa.

1. spookyfox profile image59
        spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then what is it called when both partners have the same freedom?

1. stclairjack profile image77
          stclairjackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i believe they call that a pipe dream! ha! actualy its called an open relationship or an open maridge when you and your partner agreethat you may have sex outside of the two of you,.... good luck wih it,... havent found anybody that open yet. ;-)

32. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

i could keep 2-4 husbands,... no problem. wonder how the aplication process would go? ha! 99 times out of 100 its always presented as one man w/ many wives, i dont know of a cutlture that has tried the multiple husbands of one wife, but the chinese may have to if thier demographics keep up at the curent pace.

i've always wanted small group of 2-4 men, keeping up with men is easy, feed 'em, f**k 'em, and give 'em the remote,.... and it would finaly possibly resolve the problem of them keeping up with me! wink wink!

33. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 13 years ago

Polygamy is regressive and robs all the wives of their identity. It breeds hate, envy and sometimes discord amongst the children.

Personally, i don't understand how any man can live under the same roof with 2 or more wives. It chauvinistic, self-centred and unkind.

The first wife ends up hating the 2nd for usurping her place.

The 2nd wife loathes the 3rd wife, and ends up joining forces with the first wife to give the 3rd hell.

Plus there is NO WAY any man can love two women equally. They're just lying if they claim to.

Personally, i think polygamy sucks!

34. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago
  35. Iontach profile image69
    Iontachposted 13 years ago

Personally I would never even consider it. I think Marriage is between two people and that is it. If you want more than one person then be single.
    What if one wife was the favourite? The other wife would feel like crap and they'd just start being all bitchy and row all the time. I just don't think it's right, but if people want to do it and they are seriously ok with it then let them do it.

36. Pente profile image79
    Penteposted 12 years ago

I have a non-religious brother who somehow ended up with a second girl living with him and his wife. I stayed with him for about 3 months and noticed one thing that is never brought up. Those girls are in charge! If he does something stupid, they will gang up on him.
    Economically, they do very well for themselves. Going from a two income family to a three income family makes a huge difference in standard of living and discretionary income.
    I never saw any signs of jealous behavior amongst them. One of the girls would sometimes state that she felt that she was being ignored by the other two of them. Someone would then show her some attention. Everyone seemed to be fairly good at dealing with problems in an adult manner.
    Obviously, polygamy isn't for most people. On the other hand, I suspect that most of the problems with polygamy were caused by religion and its subjugation of females.

37. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

I think even though this sort of animal usually has many females as mates, this sort of married life depicted here doesnt seem too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DduYqOKSJzc

38. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

In all seriousness, though, if I had several wives there would be no sneaking off to the bar to watch the football game. No sneaking a drink because there would too many inquisitive women to hide from. And how many motherinlaws would I have to make regular visits with? And how many foot massages? How many manicures would I being paying for, exactly? So, I guess if I had several wives they'd all have to be crunchy hippiechicks straight from the orphanage.

Yep, I guess I'd be fine with that.

39. Hunbbel Meer profile image75
    Hunbbel Meerposted 12 years ago

To be real, this world needs polygamy in at least some of its parts, otherwise the whole system will collapse:

1. Be practical
    2. Women are greater than men in numbers (You can check the statistics)
    3. If every man marries 1 woman, many women will remain unmarried.
    4. No one wants to die virgin, they'll have affairs with men who are already occupied.
    5. Their families will come at a brink of destruction having an extra marital affair
    6. The whole system will collapse.

Still not logical? What can I say more. Be practical; think neutral.

40. ubanichijioke profile image73
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

To me, polygamy is being too greedy.

41. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

I am curious why is it always about 1 man with many wives.  Why not 1 woman many husbands?

42. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

Monogamy,Single,Married,Open Marriage,and Polygamy all (life-style choices). Each person decides for his or herself whether or not something is good. If one lives in a country where polygamy is legal and they (want) that type of arrangement then it's all good. Having said that I do believe that (Bigamy) is bad. Clearly it's "cheating" when your spouse is also "secretly" married to someone else! Polygamy is up front and everyone involved knows what they are getting into.

43. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I'm all for one side of the multiple wives part (I will leave it to your imagination!).
    However -

Waiting for the wives to get ready to go out!!
    The queue for the bathroom!
    The Nagging!!!!!!!!!
    The Motherinlaws!!!!
    PMT!!!!!
    TV!!!!!
    Who gets the Duvet!!

1. A Thousand Words profile image68
      A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha, too funny.

44. rLcasaLme profile image70
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

As a christian, i know polygamy is bad. Just like what the Lord said don't do to others what you don't want others do unto you. God made man and woman and they will cling together and will depart their parents and will go as one body. Two now becomes one.
    Marriage is exclusive only to two partners. If you only want money, why not open a company instead of marrying all of them.
    Your love cannot be enjoyed by one family if you share it with many.

45. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Polyandry is less common, but it does occur.

46. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I could use a couple more husbands! I'd keep them all well fed and happy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)