Hot Flashes: How Should You Deal With It?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    timothy_mccorkellposted 14 years ago

My wife is at the point in her life now where she is getting frequent hot flashes. And as a result I'm really losing a lot of sleep at night. I'm spending half the night turning the thermostat up and down and opening and closing the windows.

I love her and I'm not feeling sorry for myself (well, maybee a little sorry, LOL) and I know it's hard on her also. But because these hot flash attacks can come at anytime, I feel as if we are both at their mercy. So, of course, I was wondering if any other couples may have found a way with dealing with this problem.

Anyway, when she finally cools off, she has a habit of wrapping herself in the covers like a mummy, and as a result I wake up coverless and frozen. I just hope I can make it out alive till these hot flashes stop. So, please, post your solutions to this problem.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Estroven is an vitamin and herb supplement that helps menopausal symptoms.

I recently had a few months of hot flashes due to a medication I was taking.  My advice is to keep the bedroom as cool as possible, then she can pile on the blankets but kick them off when she's having a hot flash. 

It's nice that you get up and down to adjust the thermostat for her, but can't she do that herself, rather than waking you up, too?  smile

1. profile image0
        timothy_mccorkellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Pretty Panther,

And yes, my wife could adjust the thermostat, but she does so many things, that I would like to do at least some things for her. She does all the cooking and only lets me do the dishes and pots and pans, and take out the trash. But your estrovan idea sounds good and thank you for suggesting it.

2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Use separate beds.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey T, who is that man? hehe, morning guapa

1. tantrum profile image60

Hi Pretty!
          just a friend from Costa Rica

guapo,

1. tantrum profile image60

He's a make up artist, and not very fond of girls
              big_smile

oh ok,

sorry Mr Timothy we hijack your thread, hehe

I suggest sir you just use separate blanket, be patient with her, it will pass soon,

3. pinkboxer profile image59
      pinkboxerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tim, my late husband was my greatest and loving support when I went through this phase in my life. Do not get seperate beds! She needs you now more than ever. Get your wife to a doctor now for a thorough medical evaluation. Be encouraged! You will get through this together.

4. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL solution? nahhhh!

My wife calls them Power Surges...and her definition of PMS is 'Putting up with Mens S**T' - so you think I'm gonna argue with her when she's turned up (or down) the thermostat for the 28th time?!

5. caravalhophoto profile image60
      caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  Okay...totally love this question.  As you know, your wife is going through Menopause or "the change".  The length of time during this process can last from weeks to years...Aunt Ida has been having hot flashes for 22 years!

My Menopause was chemically induced through chemotherapy, when I had my 1st hot flash, I was at Home Depot...since I was bald, it was raining and cold so I was wearing a knit beanie.  The heat that went through my body was so dibilitating, I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest, I ran to the bathroom and couldnt get my clothes off fast enough...then I was freezing.  This was constant...all day, 3 years later I still get night sweats occasionally and can't be cuddled or spooned for to long...(thats a drag).

Anyway, food is a huge play on the changes of the body, a log of foods eaten should be written down...I found when I ate Ice cream at any part of the day, I had more frequent night sweats...taking it out of my diet helped.  Also alcohol, wine, beer will cause a hot flash instantly with me.
      Get a small fan that can sit on her night stand...to this day, my fan runs all night long including the overhead on low.  On cool evenings my husband wore a shirt to bed so his shoulders would not get cold and he had and extra blanket on his side.  With my Cancer being estrogen driven, OTC remidies were not permitted since it is the loss of estrogen that is causing the menopause.  I learned through Whole Foods, diet and lifestyle change to control the frequency.

Good Luck and just be patient...this too will pass.

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Hi Timothy,

Hot flashes and night sweats are all part of it. The hot flashes do hit a gal from out of no where. I dress in layers - a tank top and a blouse - so I can quickly adjust. I still have to stand in front of the fridge in the tank top when I have a "power surge".
      The night sweats are frustrating. I laid a big towel on the sheet where I slept, and kept a stack by the bed too. When I would wake up drenched it was easy to throw the towel and the Tshirt in the laundry, put on a fresh Tshirt and lay a fresh towel. I still stand in front of the fridge with the door wide open as needed, too.
      Taking HRT - hormone replacement therapies is not always possible. Cancer survivors are not usually allowed HRT.
      All the flashes and sweats can reduce her potassium and other labs so please encourage her to see the doctor to keep it in check. The change also made my hair feel like straw, I had skin problems and it seemed to affect pretty much everything. If she is frustrated with other aspects of menopause - send her to the spa! smile Holly

1. profile image0
      timothy_mccorkellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for that terrific advice. And I'm sorry to hear that you went through such tough times with cancer. Compared to what you went through, my problem seems very minimal. Thanks so much again.

3. NewYorker profile image58
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

Buy another comforter!

1. Sa Toya profile image85
      Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to hubpages...tis good fun big_smile

4. Sa Toya profile image85
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

definitely use separate covers, blankets,duvets etc.

Why not get a fan, place it near her so she can just reach and turn it off...that's what I do- I'm very young but get hot flashes when aunt flo visits- weird I know!

Hang in there, I'm sure she appreciates your loveliness smile

5. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

My hubby sleeps right through my hot flashes (tossing & turning, covers and clothing off, then on, then off again, etc....) He's really great about it. He doesn't lose any sleep over it like I do (night after night).

Myself, I prefer not to take any medication or herbal supplements for the hot flashes. I'm just gonna ride it through but her doctor might be able to offer advice on what works and what doesn't.

6. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Well honey, we just deal with it the best we can. You know, she's not getting older, she's getting better. Just remember that!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/fordonotfear/scan0001-1.jpg

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Plant oestrogens can be helpful. There are a number of recipes on the web for "HRT cake" or "menopause cake", which contains soya flour, seeds and nuts. I used to make a batch for myself once a week. It tastes rather good too and I liked the excuse of having to eat a big slice every day for "medicinal" purposes big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)