jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Picking out an engagement ring

1. 61
    porksodaposted 6 years ago

I've been looking at engagement rings for a bit, and I thought I'd get some advice from you guys. I'm wondering what you'd suggest that every guy consider when he is picking out an engagement ring.

I know the 4 Cs are a pretty big deal, but what about picking out the setting? Would you say that platinum or gold is the all around best quality you can go with for the ring? I understand that platinum is the strongest, but what other factors should you consider?

Also, for the girls out there...do you have a particular preference for the ring metal or just for the color?

1. falcon64 profile image60
      falcon64posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I love Diamond....smile

2. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 6 years ago

platinum is much more enduring than gold but the hot item today is titanium.  Focus on 50 or 100 years down the road...where will the ring be, what will it look like and do you love it enough to have it endure. 

You might want to check out my neice's story and watch how an engagement ring travels through time...http://hubpages.com/hub/thetravelingengagementring

1. 61
      porksodaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

well judging from your niece's story, it sounds like platinum passed the endurance test with flying colors smile i hadn't really thought about the ring as a potential heirloom, but that would definitely be an awesome tradition to start.

3. wychic profile image78
    wychicposted 6 years ago

My personal preference is for white gold...I know the golds aren't as strong as a lot of the other metals, but I guess it would come down to what kind of treatment it's going to receive. For my mom's first marriage over 25 years ago she got a white gold wedding ring, and wore it through raising kids and doing tons of chores indoors and out -- including feeding animals, bucking straw bales, and helping tear down old buildings -- and the ring never got a scratch. That said, if you have the cash for platinum I've heard some great things about it smile.

Another important thing to note is that while the metal may be extremely strong and scratch-resistant, if you get one of those satin finishes or something that's not necessarily going to be so hardy.

4. girly_girl09 profile image78
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

Platinum is classic.

I adore my grandmother's engagement ring and wear it daily. I am SERIOUSLY happy it was platinum and not yellow gold. I never wear yellow gold and I would've felt obligated to wear her ring either way. lol

A lot of my friends are starting to get engaged or have been recently married and they all get platinum or titanium for the color.

Do you ever see your girlfriend wearing yellow gold? What type of jewelry does she wear?

1. 61
      porksodaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm assuming the ring held up pretty well if you wear it daily? Did you need to have the prongs replaced or are they still holding strong?

As for my gf, she wears mainly white metals, so no yellow gold for her either smile Do you know if platinum or white gold can cause allergies or not? That would definitely be a factor too since there's certain stuff she can't wear cuz of that (not sure what exactly).

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

5. wychic profile image78
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Is there anyone in her family or close friends that you might be able to ask about the specifics of her metal allergy? I know a few people with metal allergies and it seems to range all over the scale...I even have a friend who is extremely allergic to the supposedly hypoallergenic metals used in surgery, so it's hard to say which will cause problems with each individual.

6. torimari profile image80
    torimariposted 6 years ago

I think black diamonds are pretty...my friend has one on her engagement ring. Sadly, a crappy marriage, but anyhoo...just thinking outside of the box.

7. theirishobserver. profile image59
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

I have actually posted a Hub on this very subject today...read it and you may be able to save some money...its called broken love...