jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Do you think that sex is really essential in one relationship?

1. curlytree2009 profile image47
    curlytree2009posted 7 years ago

What's your view? Do you really think that SEX as in "love making," is very important and should be done in a relationship?

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

YUP!!  big_smile

2. yoshi97 profile image87
      yoshi97posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I know I will be set out on the pole for this one, but I do believe it is. It's been my opinion for a long time that we are hardwired to breed and that's what all of the mating courtships are about, finding someone we want to breed with.

And yes, that sounds sick, but I have learned that we are (in some regards) more drawn to primitive instincts than we are willing to admit. If this were not so, then those who took a vow of celibacy (nuns and priests) would be allowed to have boyfriends and girlfriends, as they would have the strength to be in such a relationship without being tempted to falter.

Now, do I think it's 'the' most important thing? Absolutely not! There's much more to a relationship than sex. One need not actually have a relationship to have sex, but sex inevitably plays a role in any serious relationship.

1. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Not talking about just having    . Making love is different.

1. yoshi97 profile image87
          yoshi97posted 7 years ago in reply to this

And that's the fine distinction ... A relationship involves emotions (love), whereas one could also participate on a non-emotional level without a relationship.

I think love plays a role in the mix to guide us toward monogamy, which aids in preventing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Granted, we don't say to ourselves 'I want to just make love to her so I don't spread diseases', but I think this is another hardwired aspect that is designed for 'safe breeding'.

By partnering up and remaining faithful to one another we give our species a better chance at survival. As such, I think love and monogamy has done much to make the human species successful, which would be why we favor relationships over adhoc mating.

3. graceth0mas profile image61
      graceth0masposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Depends on what level of relationship you have. When I was a lot younger, it was. However, as I grow old (and wiser), I think I'd rather have someone who can I sleep with and be with and talk with rather than make love with. It would be a plus though if I have that all in a guy.

4. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Actually, BOTH are required in a relationship.

There is a difference between "making love" and simple "sex".

However, each has to be incorporated into a relationship, to keep the spice alive and well. smile

5. curlytree2009 profile image47
      curlytree2009posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. smile

2. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 7 years ago

I think everyone should decide what is right for their own relationship. My husband is disabled and sex has not been a part of our relationship for years. I do not miss it. His companionship is what I would miss.

3. blondepoet profile image80
    blondepoetposted 7 years ago

Hell yes it is very important, it brings the closest connection between two people in love, yep very much needed.

4. Madison22 profile image60
    Madison22posted 7 years ago

Oh yes:)

working