Feeling lonely...

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (104 posts)
  1. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 14 years ago

Are you feeling lonely too?  Do you get lonely often?  Why or why not?  Is there a particular reason you're feeling lonely?

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Figment:
      Nope, never have.
      I say hello easily and in return, friends are made.
      Try it, it works....:-)

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

but pants or call?  I'm lonely

2. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, yeah...in fact I was thinking just tonight how lonely it is loving my own 21 year old son.  He's going through the know-it-all stage and battles with me constantly.  Yet I love him.  It's a strange sort of loneliness.

3. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel lonely now! sad I'm a people person and need people around me! I do like my own company and space sometimes though smile

4. Freya Cesare profile image77
      Freya Cesareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel lonely, not because I'm alone, but because I found my way of thought kind of different with my friends, and it make me feel lonely.

I feel lonely, because all my friends who appreciate my thought, all live so far away from me. Including the man I love.

1. Freya Cesare profile image77

But because this feeling of loneliness, many poems being created, so, I think loneliness sometimes is a gift too. smile

5. prettydarkhorse profile image56
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sometimes only, when I hear about children being kidnapped etc and dying because of other peoples selfish objectives etc..

I am happier most of the times

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's up PDH? How are you?

You're always happy when I run into you. tongue big_smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image56

CAGS I am sad only when I watched CNN and there are many children abused kidnapped etc

overall I am happy all the time

how are you CAGS??

I am doing well and I could be happier, but presently happy. smile

how about happiest??

do you watch NBA?

Happiest comes when others things fall into place, but still elude my grasp. smile

And, no I'm not much into basketball. smile

2. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

it's weird I'm not lonely but feel all alone, does that make any sense at all?

1. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, ma'am, that makes perfect sense...at least to me! lol  Btw, how are you, Lyrics?

2. figment profile image75
      figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its the borderline in us

3. Mamelody profile image60
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It does.. I feel the same way too

4. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup, makes sense Lyrics.  I can relate....

3. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I am usually lonely because I do not get out of my own environment much...it is hard for me to get out in the snow, even if I wanted to..

but people do come over which is nice and I always have a phone and computer to communicate to others with...

but yes, I get lonely quite often, honestly I get lonly evey time I wake up...

but I guess thats just life???

4. Red_Dragon profile image59
    Red_Dragonposted 14 years ago

I use to feel that way a while ago, but it has stopped. I think i use to worry too much about things i shouldn't have before, and now that i have more of a care free attitude about things like drama and such, i feel perfectly fine.

I think anyone, can cure themselves of loneliness if they take the right methods for themselves. That is something they will have to figure out on there own.

5. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I don't get lonely, never have.  Am pretty sure I could live for years on some remote mountain, return to society in a century or two, and function fairly well as long as the language hadn't changed beyond my ability to communicate. 

Which does of course fit the residence location Pam and I have chosen as our "retirement haven"--an acreage 15 miles from the nearest small town and 25 miles from the nearest small city.  Even here, we mutter to each other that there are far too many people in the area, keep "overlapping" schedules so that while we do have time to talk to each other each day, there are also times when one is asleep and the other enjoying wide-awake privacy...AND we still require separate bedrooms so strongly that she sleeps in the camp trailer while I head off to an unheated steel storage shed to catch my zz's.

Guess we're not much help for this thread...lol

6. fiksy02 profile image60
    fiksy02posted 14 years ago

oh i'm so familiar with that word lonliness. i guess we all do but some allow it to stay longer than others and some are so used to banishing it that they don't event know what it feels like any more. it's that feeling that makes a baby cry out when left alone. i'm used to being lonely and i allow loneliness to take over at times.
    i also think the shy people know more about loneliness and being alone but also they are usually more experienced in enjoying their own company that they only allow themself to be lonely when they want to enjoy the lost feeling of loneliness

7. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

If you are truly your own best friend there is no such thing as loneliness...

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So that's my secret!  big_smile

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's becoming mine too Ghost32 smile.  I agree cheaptrick, very true.

8. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

True. I've felt alone before whenever my husband and son were out of town, but not lonely.
    I am more inward and enjoy being in my own thoughts.

Loving your own company is the secret.

thanks for secret...

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am an introvert and welcome time alone to think.(In my case introvert doesn't mean shy just concerned with my own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things)
        However some people are extroverts and like being with others. When no one is around they feel lonely.

I'm not even sure someone can change this about their personalities. I do think they can alleviate loneliness by busying themselves.

9. Ask Leanne? profile image59
    Ask Leanne?posted 14 years ago

You need to come out of yourself and get out and keep yourself busy. Your feeling lonely due to the fact that your probably not in a stable relationship or any at that. You need your needs met, feeling alone or lonely is horrible we all have felt it at some stage in our lifes, but to let your guard down a little and get out and start meeting new and exciting people you will soon notice that feeling of alone and being lonely will soon disappear. Feel good in yourself

Thanks.  it just felt worst than usually the past couple of day... i guess I've always suffered from loneliness even when I'm not alone.

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

figment just roll

yeah sad

10. keira7 profile image60
    keira7posted 14 years ago

Hi Figment, I use to have this feeling a long time ago. But one day my husband told me. "Try to appreciate your on compagnie, and you will feel the benefit". At first i didn't understand, but I finaly got it. And now when ever I am alone, I really apreciate my on compagnie and its a wonderful feeling. Sometimes we all need it. It does help you to think properly and rest your brain. . And you feel good. Try and see.
    You need to really apreciate those moment. When you will, you will never feel alone anymore. Good luck. I really hope that help you.

Thanks

11. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

i went through a stage in my life, when i felt so lonely..... it was quite the most horrible feeling.... that is when i discovered hub pages..

Being Lonely Together Is Kind Of Great..... if you know what i mean

yeah....i know what you mean

2. Freya Cesare profile image77

One of Hubber just told me today,  "Let's walk together in our loneliness." wink

12. AnythingArtzy profile image69
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

I do enjoy people and would like to be married again and have that one on one but after all these years I'm also content by myself for I have quite a few intrests such as photography, painting and reading along with hunting in fleamarkets etc that keep me busy. so do I get lonely or feel alone, sometimes yes, sometimes no but....

13. figment profile image75

I noticed I eat more chocolate when I'm feeling lonely.

1. Faybe Bay profile image66
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a hub up for you, wanna see?

yes which one is it

Enjoyed it .  I rated it up! smile

thank you, I was just posting comment on yours about Night Owls.

2. Freya Cesare profile image77

Me too. Be careful.... or you will blow!

14. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Yes,sometimes I feel alone when I'm not actually by myself. I feel alone in my sadness or hurt or despair, but I know I'm not really alone. I like solitude, but I despise solitude in the midst of people. Know what I mean?

yes exactly

1. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

me too - and then is when you know it is deeper than loneliness  it is more a depression, which needs a different kind of attention, I think.

15. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub about loneliness being contagious after I read a newspaper article that said it is.  I know it is - but I also know that you need other people's input so you can get over your loneliness.  I'm thinking now what I didn't realize before is that loneliness being such an emotional thing, is like jealousy - it isn't a bad thing to feel it, but you don't have to ACT on it - that is you don't have to make others feel bad just because you feel bad.  Saying you are lonely and need a friendly voice is a healthy way to heal from it. 

Since I have HubPages I have people to talk to which is really very nice and I love it.  However, I miss being out there in the world, talking to strangers in coffee bars, making friends at work, meeting new people in classes - and I don't get to do those things.  ahh well - then there is chocolate!

16. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Nope never lonely I enjoy my own company way to much for that. I love being around others but am just as ok being alone. Sometimes I actually would rather be alone.

Me too, but only because I am here among all of these great supportive (And occasionally not supportive) writers. Mega is right, this is sort of my life right now. But I have you guys, and need no others right now.

17. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Pool party in the tribe!

18. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I do today~

I just had a somewhat rotten day, and my friend who calls me every other day some weeks, didn't give me a moment on the phone. I was lonely, meh.

Apparently coffee was too important--but, I'll get over it. :]

19. Twelve Yb TnuoC profile image60
    Twelve Yb TnuoCposted 14 years ago

I seem to only feel /lonely/, in missing specific people. If I begin to dwell on my friend Akila, and the fact I haven't talked to her in quite some time now, I start to feel lonely again, because I miss her.

Sometimes I feel alone, but this is usually only when I've become very upset or sad because of something that just happened, or when I tried to reach someone I miss, by phone or internet or otherwise, and couldn't get in touch with them (for similar reasons as to why the other makes me feel alone).

It is when the two are happening at the same time, that I begin to run into problems. But it is because of those moments, actually, that most of my friends have been made. When I am feeling both lonely and alone, I usually end up seeking out the company of someone other than the specific person I've missed. If it's way late at night, or some other circumstance is in effect, to keep me from talking to one of my friends, I tend to reach out to people I don't know, or people I don't usually associate with so closely. That's how I met my friend Akila in the first place.

Still, it makes life feel too transitory, to accept things as being like that, so, for now... I check on Hubpages and peek around, I do a quick update to my Facebook apps, and then sleep. Perhaps tomorrow, I'll call Akila, and see why it is she hasn't been talking to me lately...

Good luck to you, and I hope you feel better. <3 Remember your own wonderful mind, that other people love you for, can be adored and enjoyed just as much by yourself, as for them. And stay strong.

20. cottontail profile image61
    cottontailposted 14 years ago

I struggled with the issue of loneliness and read a couple books to help me through it...

<link snipped, no self promoting>

21. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

figment  - I am wondering whether what you call "loneliness" isn't a kind of low-grade depression which is often caused by some basic nutritional lack. I know a lot about this because I've suffered from it all my life, even when I have been happiest in events of my life there is often this gnawing lonely feeling.  So a therapist and a Dr. both instructed me to take mega-doses (FORGIVE PUN) of multi-vitamins whenever I start to feel this.  and now I take multi-vitamins religiously every day and it really helps prevent this - so maybe?

I've suffered from depression all my life... that's exactly what it is.  I'm on meds.  I'll try some vitiamans.  Thanks mega

1. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And some really positive people around you really helps too. I know what it is like Figment, don't know if you know much about where I came from, but truly there is a way past it. I am living proof.
        My mother and sister also suffer from depression, so I really can empathize with you. Big hugs all the way from Australia to you!!!

22. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

You can always get on MSN and I can call you up. I guarantee to put a smile on your face whether you are laughing at my jokes or my silly Aussie accent lol.

Thanks blondepoet

23. figment profile image75

Hubpages makes me feel less alone

I need a social life... outside of the house.

2. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too smile

24. Mrvoodoo profile image56
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

I often feel lonely.  But I refuse to let that negative emotion force me into something that would not be best for me.

25. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I felt lonely but then Mavis my inflatable companion walks through the door and everythings a-ok!

LMFAO

26. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

One place where almost every religion agrees with philosophy is that - "we have to love ourself before we can love someone else" I would guess this question comes from the same place, the line of reasoning above goes along with how "we see ourself in how others see us." That is we understand ourself by how others react, respond and treat us.  If this line of thinking is right - then being lonely means that not enough people are looking at us in the way that we see ourselves.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"One place where almost every religion agrees with philosophy is that - "we have to love ourself before we can love someone else""

Wow, dunno about that...

27. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

but do you think loneliness goes with being misunderstood?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image56
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope, I believe it comes from misunderstanding others.

1. mega1 profile image78

yep - I'm always trying to read other people's minds and reacting like an idiot when I don't hear exactly what I want - misunderstanding because I can't really just accept how they are sometimes  = then I get lonely because they just give up on me.  but here, somebody is almost always on the forums no matter when I tune in - and I can re-read what they wrote if I don't get it the first time.  so not lonely for awhile.

You're never alone, you just think too hard.

Good times are only ever just around the corner and a shared smile away.

Sweet dreams. smile

Mrvoodoo, your wisdom kills me some times. I feel like I learn a little more each time I read your words.

2. Faybe Bay profile image66

A line from one of my favorite songs says "when you are lonely you're the only one to blame." I had to take many years to understand it. Here goes. I watched yes man and all of these people make a covenant to say yes.
      What would happen in stead of saying no, I said yes. Like here. I said no, no one wants to hear what I have to say... Then I said wait, if I say no what huge opportunity am I missing.

I knew about this place three months before I joined. I was so busy trying to find another place to fit in as layoffs approached and I would be leaving people I had worked with for five years. We had become like a family. I knew I would miss them.

I would never have found you guys and girls if I hadn't decided to take a risk, that same thing might happen here, and you won't lay me off.

Great film, it might be a comedy but its message is a powerful one.

There are so many amazing things I could be doing right now instead of sat here typing this bullshit at 3 in the morning.. smile

I do my best work at 3:00 am which is why I don't sleep.

In fairness I do to, but I'd much rather be on a tropical beach someplace. 

Which is where I could be this time tomorrow, if I didn't think twice about it.

I live in Florida and have for many years (1984) I think I have walked on the beach maybe six times, which is why I so loved your story about it. I have been too busy working to take the time to live.

I want you to go walk the beach.

This month if not this week.

You know you should.

Sweet dreams. smile

Wow, missed this. I should... I don't leave the computer anymore. I have waited my whole life for time to write, and I am afraid something will come up to interupt it. I will get some sand and seashells and bring them back with me as proof.

2. mega1 profile image78

nope - you can't be laid off from HP, and we, your friends, only demand that you be nice to us!  how easy is that!

you are so easy to be nice to, it is not any demand on me

28. figment profile image75

I ate my dose of chocolate today...not feeling so lonely anymore!smile

I am not even able to get up for the chocolate. I have chocolate coffee instead.

yummy

Sorry I was wandering about getting photos for some of my hubs.
          makeovers you know.

Hey is that you, did you get the e-mail or did I mail it to the wrong person?

that's me.  I'm checking my email right now.

29. Faybe Bay profile image66
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

She did two the video was excellent. I don't know how to do any of that stuff yet.

me niether

I'm gonna have to try to sleep.

30. Iamsam profile image61
    Iamsamposted 14 years ago

You all are here, why should I feel lonly?????

31. Faybe Bay profile image66

you are too sweet. I have to make myself go to sleep. figment pops in tell her I said g'night. And g'night to you iamsam, love that name, reminds me of the movie. Love that movie.

nighty night.... sweet dreams

32. cypresshillbilly profile image58
    cypresshillbillyposted 14 years ago

I found that being lonely is wasting precious time thats left on our lives!...................But eaiser said than done.

33. profile image0
    4hopeposted 14 years ago

It amazes how come i do not feel i am alone - i feel Presence and it makes me feel good.

that's good 4hope

34. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Sometimes, even when I'm with other people. Crazy huh?!

35. Faybe Bay profile image66

No I was always loneliest in a crowd, worse than being alone actually. Much worse. Still bad with parties and holidays.

36. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I am alone. But I am not lonely.I tend to be kind of a solitary figure anyway.

Hi Tony, hmm plus you have a new computer now, youre not going to be lonely anymore

37. Faybe Bay profile image66

I usually am not lonely alone, but in crowds. Do you feel lonely in a crowd? I used to be such a people watcher, but that sort of changed, don't know when. Middle school I think.

Hi FAYBE BAY, hmm what do you think is the reason why you are lonely in a crowd, you dont feel like you belong?

I am happy with crowds, happy crowds,

38. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I don't really mind being with people as such, I guess it depends on who they are. Often I feel I don't fit in or I feel a bit invisable or a bit too visable. Does that make any sense?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)