When you say, "I love you...

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (39 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

What do you mean.?"

Describe what exactly you mean when you tell some one you love them.
    For example, do you have warm fuzzy feelings for them.
    Do you intend to build them up to be a better person?
    Are you just trying to get something from him/her?
    hmm

1. Black Lilly profile image61
      Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never say it.
      Reason - never feel it.

Most what I had in my life was some kind of crush, sometimes stronger, sometimes just for a day or two. But you won't just tell someone - you know what, I think I'm having a crush on you.
      Never really let myself get into something deeper, though I think the Academy owes me a few Oscars...

The way you talk about love here makes me envious - seems everybody can feel it..

2. Ask Leanne? profile image56
    Ask Leanne?posted 14 years ago

When saying I love you, its a feeling, a deep emotion. When you feel the emotion of love thats when you can express it. some people feel warm and fussy on the inside, some people feel safe in the arms of that person, but to say i love you and not mean it, that is wrong, by saying those 3 words just to get something more from someone is horrible to even hear, only say it when you really mean it because for the people out there who do mean it find it hard enough to say it.

aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So, you are basically expressing an emotion? Ye?
      What happens when that (those) emotion(s) change, or fade. Or, God forbid, dissapear? What then?

3. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

No-one else cares to comment here???
    Maybe you don't say the words much?
    Or maybe you aren't sure what you mean.
    Anyone??
    If not, I'll let this thread die. sad

4. thooghun profile image94
    thooghunposted 14 years ago

To me, a sincere I love you is a form of surrender. This does not necessarily imply insecurity and not being independent, it is an admission that you are bonded. In turns emotionally, spiritually and physically.

I remember a quote that said that true love is seeing an imperfect person perfectly. I've always thought it was an apt, if witty, quote.

I also believe that love begins when infatuation ends.

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

brilliant thanks for your help also this morning on the forums,  that is a real good way to describe, loving someone,  You are kind of surrendering or letting guard down, lovely thought

2. aka-dj profile image66

That's a pretty mature way to look at it. big_smile Thanks.

5. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

I have always found this a hard thing to tell anyone, and do not got go round saying it to everyone.

I have found myself lately saying it to a few people, even here on hub pages.

It is when i feel someone truly understands where i am coming from and unconditionally gives me a helping hand,

I have always said it to my children, and grandchildren, i really feel it for them.  It was  not said much to me, and i think i needed it to  be said more.

I used to write "I love my mum"... every now and again, in my childrens school books, they got so angry.  Now i realise, i just needed to hear it.....

Did you say "grandchildren" hmm
      I never thought you were old enough!
      Not that I know you that well,..but.. big_smile

I agree, that it's not appropriate to say it to just anyone. smile

1. profile image0
        poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have seven grandchildren the oldest is 12...... there are some pictures of me and my family, and some of the grandchildren on some of my hubs, take a look........

Ahha! I was right!!

I saw that hub, and though you have them, you look way younger, just as I thought. big_smile

6. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

When I say it...to a child, it means I just adore him/her....and will always be there for them, no matter what.

to a friend, it's more like: hey, It's great to have you to share things with ...and thanks for being you..!

to my partner, it means: I want him...in every way a woman can want someone...that I'd rather be with him than anyone else in the world...and that I hope to make him truly and completely happy... smile

Cool. On all three counts.
      Good on you. big_smile

2. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with MOW! smile

3. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's what I was gonna say!

also when I love a dog or cat, well, I adore them and will take care of their every need.

also when I love chili dogs - well, that's not a very long relationship, but it is very meaningful!

7. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

This is Christian door knocking online - big_smile big_smile

Are you answering the door??

8. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

When I say "I love you" what does it mean?

hhmmm...it means I have given them my heart to have and to hold and please dont crush it.

9. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Love Is...
    Love is more than a word

A feeling transmitted between parted lips

More than a connection

Warm hands on curvaceous hips

More than beauty

Held in one's eye

More than a thought

Of cherished friend mine

Warmth that grows

From deep within

An itch not scratched

Below your skin

Beyond the craving

Passion and lust

Beside each other

Together in trust

Trials and tribulations

Together we've faced

Beaten and battered

Yet still in the race

Our lives together

Forever bound

We give each other

A gift not easily found

Love is all of the above

And much more

Eyes to the future

For all that's in store

A present we share

Every day

Love isn't love

Until you give it away

So my love on this day

Of Saint Valentine

I count my blessings

That you are mine

Giving thanks to

The Lord above

For teaching me

To know this love

10. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Love is the master key that opens life's gates. Love's the life in this world. Love is the start of every good, the only warmth, the only peace. Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. The first duty of love is to listen. Love is a small world of two people where everything is shared. Love lifts the heart to paradise. Love does not insist on its way. Love is knowing true happiness. Love gives a reason to life.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds simple enough....?  it also sounds like you (must) have a very loving relationship with your gf or wife.  You are a lucky guy.

1. tobey100 profile image61
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

34 years.  I've only loved two times in my life (other then my children but that's different)  My first wife; we were married at 18 and she was killed by a drunk driver a few months later and my lovely wife Marilyn.  I've never needed or wanted anyone else and yes, I realize in today's society that makes me a weirdo! smile

sorry to hear about your first wife.

but, still - nope, cant say weirdo.  I'm stickin with Lucky!   smile

1. tobey100 profile image61
            tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh obsolutely I was lucky.  She picked me before I ever knew what was happening.  hey, there's an idea.  Why don't you sneak up on one of your own.  Overwhelm them with your feminine ways.  smile

what a lovely idea!   smile

um, ooops.  i may be a woman, but i'm not feminine!   lol

11. Preethi Anusha profile image68
    Preethi Anushaposted 14 years ago

just intend a better life for the one I say - I love you

12. iantoPF profile image79
    iantoPFposted 14 years ago

I've always liked Robert Heinlein's definition of love in his book "Stranger in a strange land" When Jubal says;
    "Love is that condition where the happiness of another is essential to your own."
    When I was a young man I said I Love You and didn't mean it. I was told I Love You by those who did not mean it. I was too young to know when I didn't mean it and too naive to realize that the girls didn't mean it either.
    These days I only say it when I truly mean it. Women can still fool me though.

13. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 14 years ago

Love is a big word. We say it to our children. We say it(should) to our parents. Sometimes it's too late to say it. Sometimes we forget to say it when we should. We say it to our friends and lovers (if any). To our pets. It always has a slightly different meaning, but if we have it in our soul, that means that we are human beings. Love makes us do miracles..."it looks on tempests and is never shaken"... Sometimes it makes us look very stupid and do stupid things...

14. profile image0
    moonphlowerposted 14 years ago

Love is a huge word for me!  I use it generously with my children...maybe because I didn't hear it spoken often as a child myself. 

I don't believe in throwing it around when it comes to telling another man that I love him.  It holds the deepest meaning and admiration to me and I want the one that hears it to know that it comes from deep within when I say it...throwing it around seems to take away it's luster.

15. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Love for me it means that I wish for your happiness and well being.

Hi moonphlower.

1. profile image0
      moonphlowerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Hokey!  smile

16. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I don't think I really truly understood love until I had children. I knew I loved people, ie my parents, sisters, family friends, etc, but I didn't properly grasp the meaning until I had children.  Now, to me it means being unselfish and wanting only the best for the person you love.  It means doing everything you can to make that person happy.  It means sacrifice for their well-being and pain in their sufferance.

17. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Being that there are many levels to love, saying and feeling 'I love you' can mean several things. This is strictly my own interpretation, not taken from any book sources.

(And feeling)

For one, saying 'I love you' to your spouse is speaking out of devoted love.

Saying 'I love you' to someone you care deeply for is speaking from a caring love.

Saying 'I love you' to your child is coming from bonding, parental, protective love.

Saying 'I love you' to your parent/sibling/relative is coming from connective, familiar, close love of family.

Saying 'I love you' to a good friend is coming from mutual caring and fondness for each other.

That's what comes to mind for me. And there are different degrees and intensity of love, too. And yes, when these bonds of devotion, caring, bonding, protection, connection, respect, familiarity, family, and fondness are broken or damaged, the love can or may diminish.

18. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

When I say 'I love you', I look into his eyes to see a smile and a sparkle in his eyes. When I say 'I love you', I can't help but smile myself and feel exceitment bubbling up through me. And whenever I think about being with my husband I still get butterflies in my stomach.

He smiles because you make him smile by loving him.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks aka-dj and yea you are right. smile

19. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

It's a simple positive, kind statement - not necessarily meant in a romantic sense.

A friend could give me a good idea and I'd kiss them on the cheek and say "love yah".  To me that was appreciation.

I say "I love you" to my friends little kids who are close to me. Thats my affection towards them.

Saying it to a "Significant other".  Mmmmmh, do you have space for a Hub?

20. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

I had someone say to me once at the end of an emotionally pleading conversation: "......it doesn't mean I don't adore you!"  It still pulls at my heartstrings and brings tears to my eyes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)