can any marriage survive without god

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (130 posts)
  1. karobi profile image63
    karobiposted 14 years ago

Hi every body, posted and read most of hubbers comment on issues of marriage. And also with my experience in marriage counseling I have discovered so many challenges facing these days marriages and of course the high rate of divorce in the world. And with this  I want to know is it really possible for any marriage to survive without God?
    Your comment will be appreciated

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. God is a figment of your imagination and I have a successful marriage with some one who does not believe in your invisible super being - so - yes no problem.

Not for Christians though - I understand the divorce rate amongst people who actually get married and promise in front of god to stay together - is quite high.

God must be very angry with those people for breaking their word to god. Remind me to look elsewhere if ever I need marriage counseling though. lol

You wouldn't by any chance have written a hub about this subject would you? By the way - welcome to hubpages - let us hope you are not here solely to spread the word of god. wink

karobiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank Mark Knows for your response. in the first place I  have written a hub in this regards you can check my profile if you care. Yes i know a some of you will say yes but  if you look deeply and search your soul You will know that what some of you are saying successful marriage is not. for instance where couples are just managing to stay together. I am talking about where the peace and love of God radiate.

1. aka-dj profile image65
          aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your question was "loaded". You did not stipulate "successful". You asked if it can survive. I have to say yes, it can. As Mark pointed out, Christian marriages are failing at about the same rate as those "outside" of the Church. ( sad sad sad sad )
          I am happy to add my marriage would not have survived without God, at least not in it's present form. After 31 years, it keeps improving all the time. It wasn't always the case.

aka-dj I am very happy you put the last  statement on your post. the mistake people make is this once they hear God the next is to start attacking church as if other religion arround are not serving god. any way i am not surprise because the truth is always bitter to hear. I am talking about your personal relationship your maker in relation to your marriage. I really want a deeper thinking rather than what some of my fellow hubers are doing. Once again Thanks for your well thought comment

1. Ohma profile image60
              Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is such an A-typical Christian response to anyone that does not think or believe the way they do.
              Christians are leading a illusion filled life based in faith of a fictional god and we aren't thinking deeply enough.

Ohma, thanks for your responses so far, if   what i said in that post offend you, i didn't mean to do so. but I just want to ask do ever believe there is a being that control the affair  man on this earth? if you believe then how to you relate with this?

1. Ohma profile image60

The only offense that I have taken is not coming directly from you. It is an offence at the total Christian community.
                  It has nothing to do with what I believe or do not believe it has everything to do with the way Christians here and in real life so quickly resort to insults and name calling when they realize that others have spent years researching the subject of gods existence and have come to the conclussion believing in god is not something that they can personally relate to.

What insult and name calling are you referring to? Please don't bring stuff from the outside in. I see no such thing here.

2. profile image0
                china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is one of the door knocker threads I was referring to - where we met just now smile  Bible babble without any foundation or even an attempt to make the reasonable and enjoyable argument we get from our residents that we know and love.

1. Ohma profile image60

I would have to agree with you on this one.

2. Ohma profile image60

aka DJ
              I did not bring anything from the outside in> I responded to this quote written by the person who posted the OP. He states that because others do not agree with his beliefs we are not thinking deeply enough.

So, that is an insult, or name calling?

But, as you may know, that line goes both ways.
                Many a "good atheist" told me to "think for myself", and called me "indoctrinated", "brainwashed", and things a little worse than that.
                I just choose not to accept them (names) into my life.

1. Ohma profile image60

I can not and will not presume to be responsible for anyones actions or words but my own.
                  And Yes when someone says I am not thinking deeply enough because I dis agree with them" I do believe that qualifies as an insult.

3. Beelzedad profile image58
              Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How true. It's a bitter pill to swallow where the more prevalent societies with religious beliefs exist, so do the increase in rates of divorce, crime and domestic violence. The more secular the society, the lower these rates become. 

These cold hard facts are very difficult to face for many believers.  smile

2. Ohma profile image60

My marriage is doing just fine. Your belief that a person requires God in their life to be at peace is not only insulting it is also very unprofessional. There are many ways to find peace in your life and when a couple is in trouble telling them that they will never find peace unless they convert to worshiping God is very dangerous.
          I would respectfully suggest that if you intend to use your therapy to preach your faith you should reconsider your choice of careers.

Assuming that his "patients" are NOT believers. If they all already are, it's most appropriate, no? hmm

1. Ohma profile image60

No! Any decent therapist would not be in the position simply to propagate their belief in anything. Therapy is not about the therapist. In that position people expect that they are paying for a service from a well educated and respectable provider.
              It is not about what your or my personal beliefs are it is about a place for everything and everything in its place.
              Most people who are seeking marriage counseling do not go to the church to find it.

Sad, but true. Sad, but true.
                The Church is THE FIRST place they should go, but I fully understand why they don't.
                PS. They should not have to pay for it either!!

2. profile image0

If you are marriage counselor and think your clients must believe in your delusions to make a good marriage then you should take up plumbing or something useful.

1. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You'd make a great counselor - spitting in the face of the majority of your clients who believe in God and rely on faith in all aspects of their lives. Just tell them how stupid they are for not buying your secular worldview lock, stock, and barrel and send them on their way...

1. profile image0

But I am not pretending to be a counselor am I.  And I have every respect for people living in their faith, but very little for those who try to spread their delusions to others.

So faith and delusions are synonymous to you?

1. profile image0

Of course - you having faith means that you believe in something unprovable, that has never shown itself to be there, on its own this is just a choice you make, trying to tell me what it thinks and says is clearly delusional.

Yes, but you said you respect living faith, but ridicule it's "propagation".
                "I believe you can be successful at (...something)". I can't "prove" it, but I can encourage you to "take a risk and try".
                Or am I delusional in this instance too.
                BTW, parents do (should do ) this with their kids. (Ahh, build their faith in the possibilities of life etc.) hmm

2. Sab Oh profile image55

" And I have every respect for people living in their faith"

It is pretty obvious that you do not.

2. donotfear profile image84
          donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Applause!

3. profile image0
      Robakerostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a great question Karobi and I'm eager to see how everyone weighs in. In my experience, many failed relationships and one beautiful one today, is that my marriage today is stronger than ever because we both seek God in our lives. We're not religious, but more spiritual rather. You're bond to get a lot of people discussing this topic and no doubt will hear things on dogma, and all sorts of opinions, but in my experience, relying on a spouse or anyone else for our own happiness is not going to work.

Expectations lead to resentments, which will kill any relationship.

“Men do not attract that which they want, but that which they are.”
      -James Allen (As A Man Thinketh)

A few years ago I finally surrendered to the idea that maybe I didn't know everything, I wasn't sure if I believed in God or not, I mean I wanted to, but I started with the main idea that "there may be a God, but I know I'm not it."

Certainly today I believe in God, and when I finally committed to something long enough to experience a power greater than myself (call it God, Buddha, whatever), I finally learned to love myself. That's when the universe put me in a position to meet someone whom was on a similar journey and eventually became my wife. Funny, today is our 3rd anniversary of the day we met so it's fitting I found this forum topic.

I do think it's possible for a marriage to survive without God, just as it's possible for all those who survive everyday seemingly without God; at least consciously to them. However, having been in a marriage now with a spouse who seeks her own happiness and journey with God as I do myself, the happiness and fulfillment is incomparable to previous relationships. Today I seek to be understanding rather than understood and see what I can bring to the relationship as opposed to "what's in it for me." And simply I never had those desires or even knew what that meant before I began living spiritually.

I think it can be as simple as having fewer unreasonable expectations of oneself and others. If we rely on God to guide us, then we're not relying on our spouse for guidance and happiness, thus fewer expectations and resentments.

1. profile image0

You really didn't need to bring in any form of god to help - you could have just got over your low self esteem and got the same result without the unnecessary god baggage.

2. karobi profile image63

thanks Robakerost fro your great response,  i hope Mark knowles will read your piece. and agreed totally with your view and believe other will also air their view

4. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes! End of story.

1. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh this story isn't ending so easy...! Once you bring 'god' into the forums, the arguments run on forever. They'd even outlast a marriage, if you ask me! wink

1. Cagsil profile image69

You're probably right. It's to the ignorance of those who are ridiculous and refuse to learn. hmm wink

5. Hokey profile image59
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

6. donotfear profile image84

karobi: I wanted to personally respond to your thread without the interference of God hating bashers who want a chance to sling sneering negative energy toward a logical, interesting thread topic. Of course, I know it's not possible, but I want to respond anyway.

I know that without God, my union with my spouse would have died a long time ago.  Now, 12 years later, I can truly say that the foundation of faith and committed love have been the glue for the relationship. My spouse is a very religious, spiritual, devoted man of God who puts God first. That's the only way I want it. As well, I have tried to rely on God to guide me through the valleys. I thank you for your insightful contribution to the forums despite the negativity that follows.  I

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Typical covert attack. I am disgusted by your thinking about those who do not believe in your fantasy.

2. donotfear profile image84

I must confess that the marriage is also very lacking. so it's not perfect either. One can admire a spouse but not be connected either. True. But with the foudation of Faith it makes the structure less fragile.

7. andromida profile image55
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The breakup reasons are not related to God, so marriage can survive without God. Some people even change their faith to marry another religion people.smile

8. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, a marriage can survive without God quite easily. Why? Because you don't fall in love with God, you fall in love with your spouse. Nor can God end a marriage. Why? Because you don't grow to resent God, you grow to resent your spouse.

9. curlytree2009 profile image36
      curlytree2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

NO. Every relationship is God given and every thing that's happening is within God's plan, now, can any marriage survive without GOD? definitely not, that's why some marriages didn't succeed it is because they didn't put GOD in center of their lives, they are missing their guides and end up being nothing. Always remember that no successful being, relationship, family, business or anything in this world succeed without GOD.

lol lol lol

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
          AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Cagsil on this one

10. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Greetings!
      It is obvious that many couple deny the existence of God.  That's great!  It's their choice.  What is not understood is that the very bonds of love that they share are still fostered, nurtured and sustained through a Higher Power, God.  Without that central and unmovable focus, our lives would be for not and as a lifeless ship without anchor.

Can it survive?  To some couples, they think so.  In absolute reality - no.

Bull.

1. Alya rose profile image60
          Alya roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more cagsil.

goldenpath, thanks for your observation,it really surprise me a lot people are still confusing the Existence of God with mere religion that is causing problem all over the world. those who kill people em-mass in the name of religion still claim they are serving God. These are the confusion that must be clarify in the mind of people.

1. profile image0
          Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religion and/or the belief in God is not the cause of wars and hate.
          It is instead due to the fanatical and intolerant mind. Those who are not fanatics do not cause problems.

11. cloudy days profile image61
      cloudy daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Clearly you aren't interested in any other opinions other than your own, but the answer is yes, definitely.

12. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As there are umpteen millions of successful marriages (and other forms of adult partnerships) which have absolutely no connection to the Xtian religion, then a belief in the Xtian deity is clearly demonstrated as being unnecessary for any marriage to work well in the long-term.

13. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And here we go again !! now not only in Religion forum ,but in Gender & Relationships as well !!

You're so obvious, shoving your God everywhere !!
      So... Why don't you give us a break !!!!!

I find christians so childish, that I wonder if they're really grown ups. Please !!!

1. NunezWillLearn profile image61
        NunezWillLearnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Tantrum,
        You look sober. Seeing you after a long time, as I went out of town. Keep this picture

1. tantrum profile image61
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And when was I drunk ? yikes

I don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't drink.
          so I'm always sober

And no, I'm not keeping this pic. I'm changing them all the time, if not I get bored.

lol

14. NunezWillLearn profile image61
      NunezWillLearnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How is God related with marital relationship. God has nothing to do with marriage. It has something to do with the husband and his wife. It will last long if there is
      - trust
      - love
      - understanding
      - attraction
      - loyalty

15. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What I find interesting and rather ironic are some of the signs you see on churches, the ones where they offer grief counseling for the divorced. LOL!  smile

16. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My husband is an Atheist.  We "survive." 

Why do you think 'God' needs to have a relative place in your marriage in the first place?

17. fidelia@lea profile image57
      fidelia@leaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I believe that God exist, He is the creator where male and female is created. So through Him both gender are united and blessed. As He has the power on His creation, so are Him will discern the sacred of a marriage. About 80 percent and above those married people who rely on God usually going through a happy marriage.

2. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

There are many broken marriages out there with help of god. There are plenty of divorces out there with help of god. There are many incest cases in families with help of god.

So answer to your question is Marriage only survives without help of god.

If you don't get this then this will clear :

http://ironwolf.dangerousgames.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/teapot/free-will-blows.jpg

1. megs78 profile image61
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile  I love that!

2. Alya rose profile image60

HA HA!love it!

3. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Do you mean does it matter what your partner's religious beliefs are...or are you just generally, refering to regular prayers for marital bliss?!

In any case, I HAVE known a few marriages that couldn't survive 'too much' of god either...  hmm

I am not talking about religious activities i am actually talking about puting God at the center of your marriage or relationship. for you know the will of God towards your marriage

4. skyfire profile image80

Soul ? *beats me*

Can we talk about empirical evidence of soul ever ever ever in our life ? Or we just prefer to talk about our alter-egos as soul  with some garlic-ginger-masala stories ?

5. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Perhaps, this thread belonged more in the religious forum. I'm sorry, but I can just foresee where it's headed....

6. skyfire profile image80

Well from the title we can see that it was more of belief preaching than actual relationship issue-solving. It deserves to be in Religions & Belief forum.

Interesting point to think is why god needs to care if X-12999 creation of his getting divorced from Y-34000 creation. Why god will bother to save that marriage ?

Not up to  'him' to save it, but why wouldn't he be interested?

7. skyfire profile image80

If any higher entity starts to take interest in his creation then his very purpose of creating them and letting them behave with so-called free will is trashed. If any higher entity is letting people marry or not-to-marry or letting-divorced then all decisions his creations make is part of his known set. Why he'll bother to change those set ? for sake of time pass or to change the game for some new set of results ?

If...starts...interest...?
      He never stopped taking interest.
      Or have you not heard??? hmm

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is your assumption that he takes interest and my assumption that any higher entity will hardly cares for his creation.

We both are playing on assumption. By the way, if I let you maintain 600 parakeets, which one will be your favourite ?

Well, that said, I like my assumption. (Actually, He told me that He cares, long before I assumed it). But never mind on that one.

As for the 600 parakeets, I'd love to have them, if I could find the time to look after them. But then, you are assuming that "God" does not have the time, the ability nor the inclination to care. A purely human limitation that does not apply to the Eternal One. big_smile

i didn't even talked about point of time and you started with assumption wink ? My approach there was why god will choose with some angle of nepotism.

One more point is you talked with god really ? next time you talk ask him the solution for AIDS that will help a lot or maybe H1N1 as there is issues with vaccines. we'll see how good we talk with god then. See how much you assume just for sake of personal happiness ? wink

Skyfire that is where you getting wrong. if you have children, i want to ask do you think about their welfare or you just let grow in their foolishness?

1. 1974 profile image68
            1974posted 14 years agoin reply to this

so if we don't brainwash our children to your way of thinking, we are letting them "grow in foolishness"?

I don't even know how to respond to this lunacy!

"brainwash" is a false term, but everyone influences their children. Atheists do it as much as anyone else.

1. donotfear profile image84

Applause!lollollollol

2. 1974 profile image68

true, but I would never call another person foolish for the way they raise and influence their children.  that is the difference between me and the OP

Well, that separates you from most of the avowed atheists around here.

1. 1974 profile image68

I'm also not an atheist.  That is just another label for a group created by either a believer or non-believer (I could care less which) which I have neither signed up for nor subscribe to their beliefs.

2. skyfire profile image80

What foolishness ? I'll never ask them to be schizophrenic and talk to some sky-daddy on skype. They have problem with relationship (like tolerance with partner, likes and dislikes) then they need to solve it on first instead of holding hands and lighting some candles and praying to sky-daddy on skype by assuming he talks with them all the time. Being real solves problem instead of being delusional.

For example...

for example, theist assumption of god talking to them and guiding them.

Interest is not the same as interference.

Again, Anything that interfere without interest ? randomly ?

8. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Respectable therapists pay for the education they have received to be qualified in there field the same as a Dr. or auto mechanic. would you suggest that  these people should not be paid as well?

I was referring to the Church counselors in respect of charging.
      My pastor, and his wife did a superb job helping us in the early days of our marriage, and it was FREE.

1. Ohma profile image60

I am happy to hear that you found the help that was right for you and that tings are working for you. You sought out help from the church and that is what you got.
        People who are seeking help outside of the church have the right to expect that the help be of a professional nature and not a spiritual one.

Unless the help is spiritual, is it really help.
          And I say that in the Non-Religious sense.
          I believe we are ALL spiritual beings, and anything that affects us "deeply", ends up affecting our spirit (soul) call it what you will.
          In other words, once you accept something right into the very heart/core of your being, it becomes a lasting change. Would you agree?

1. Ohma profile image60

I do not believe that intentionally convoluting the idea of spirituality to manipulate the outcome of your argument is very Christian-like.
            It should be really quite simple. If you are a believer and you are looking for guidance ask at your Church. If you are a non believer looking for guidance seek elsewhere.

9. 1974 profile image68
    1974posted 14 years ago

It is quite clear to me that all the believers will tell you "no" and the non-believers will tell you "yes".

When you ask a yes/no question to a group that is clearly divided in two, and you already know what the answers will be, why bother even asking it unless your ultimate goal is to try to convince half the group that they are wrong?

10. Preethi Anusha profile image68
    Preethi Anushaposted 14 years ago

yes its quite possible .. survival of a marriage depends not on God but solely on the couple

11. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

There are many marriages in other countries who don't believe in God survive.  Look at the Chinese, the Indians, and the Japanese.

Hi fightkeeper I disagree with you it seem you don't know the difference between God and religion. Do they say they don't serve God there in those country you just mentioned?

How would you get to believe in a god without being indoctrinated by religion?

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well in Hinduism there are many gods, the same goes for Shinto, Buddhism doesn't have any gods, and the Chinese majority worship their ancestors. So the way you phrase the question, my answer is still yes.

A marriage relationship is not necessarily an expression of God bringing two souls together.  Oftentimes it is an arrangement for two people to come together and start a family.  Marriage is a human construct just as religion is.

12. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Can I just answer simply and say Yes?

13. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Man puts in 100%
    Women puts in 100%
    Both understand that if one truly loves, he does not expect, but respects, and gives instead of takes.
    Does not matter if they believe in God or do not.
    It can work with a lot of hard work and maturity. smile

P.s I have seen marriages fail on both sides unfortunately.

14. Sunshiney31 profile image67
    Sunshiney31posted 14 years ago

No simply No

15. Tom Cornett profile image79
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

And he looked down from heaven....saw them lovingly walking hand in hand...elbowed the Arch Angel Michael in the side and said,"Want to see something funny...ZAP!....MARRIAGE....LOLOLOLOLOL!  smile

16. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

From statistics I found, the reason marriages of people in Christian religions fail more often than some is because they marry much younger. Due to the belief that sex outside marriage is wrong, people marry young and too quickly.

17. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Yes marriage, relationships, chair leather and postage stamps can survive without you god, or your god, or your god, or your god, and without your god as well!

18. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

If you require a god to keep a marriage together, then it is possible you were in the wrong relationship to begin with.

really thisisoli, you think you don't need God at all.

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't feel any need to hold myself accountable to some imaginary being.  I try to avoid most religious topics because it often ends in futile arguments. However I really do think that if religion is the only thing holding a relationship together it is in essence a bad relationship.

you see i heard from a lot people on this hub not know the difference between religiosity and God. if that can be achieved that will make a lot of difference

How in hell do you separate religiosity from belief in the invisible sky fairy?

2. thisisoli profile image72
            thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When people start talking how god is something other than a religious creation they have already lost the argument.

3. Audrey Parramore profile image61
            Audrey Parramoreposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Karobi, I totally agree, people first need to understand the difference between the two, God and Religion.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

A lot of us, it seems.

So - tell me - you asked a question and now you are fighting with the people who answered in a way you did not want to hear. What are you trying to achieve?

You think you are going to persuade anyone that your invisible super being exists? lol

Or were you just looking to have a fight with those of us who do not believe the same garbage you believe?

I told you - I have a successful marriage. I do not believe in god. My wife does not believe in god. Your imaginary friend does not exist.

So - yes - it is quite possible for a marriage to survive without god.

But - You did not respond to me - why is that? Is it because I did not give you the answer you wanted?

Hi Mark in the first place i have responded to your post before, and there is no way  i will post a thread for me to fight with people simply because you don't believe what  i believed on. What i know is that a hub like is created for all of us to learn from each other nobody is an island of knowledge. You told us yes and that your own succeeded. so that is noted. anyway thank for your response

This was your response:

So what is this crap about peace and love of god radiating?

You think you know what my marriage is like and disparage it because I don't believe the garbage you do? How dare you suggest that we are merely "managing to stay together"?

You are here to push you ridiculous beliefs and feel that you can tell me what my marriage is or is not? Is this the peace and love of god radiating? lol lol

So - you have now learned that it is possible to have  a successful marriage without GOD - haven't you. wink

mark that is what you believe not what other believed. so you don't have to ask that can of question.

What? You might want to try saying that in English.

But - do you now acknowledge that a marriage can thrive and be successful without a god?

Acknowledged what? is that a question

2. Audrey Parramore profile image61

Mark Knowles, Not trying to make an argument, just want to ask a question being that I have seen and heard many non- believers ask Christians where is their proof that God exist. So I want to ask, what proof do you have as a non- believer that God doesn't exist?

19. Midwest Writer profile image61
    Midwest Writerposted 14 years ago

Yes,and quite successfully.

20. Glenn S. profile image60
    Glenn S.posted 14 years ago

Of course, What a silly question.

21. DaXwRiTeR profile image58
    DaXwRiTeRposted 14 years ago

i beleive we are all different people with different beleifs and opinions we are not all going to agree on one thing.

22. Stimp profile image61
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

I'd rather talk about "the priest and the alter boy" stories we are always hearing about.  Any strong christians out there want to discuss that?  I mean, God WAS present during those activities...correct?  Since, in some cases, the molestations happened in the House of God.  Or, will an exception be made for THEM?  I'm just wondering.  I don't care one way or the other.....

1. Audrey Parramore profile image61

Stimpy, these things may have happened in the house of God, but God was not responsible for those things taking place in the church, people who did those things were responsible.

23. TimeHealsAll profile image61
    TimeHealsAllposted 14 years ago

If you look at the 10 commandments and say this is something you want you and your mate to live by then I would say you need God for your marriage to work, for God wrote them. If you feel you don't need God's influence in your marriage then he won't be there to help you.  I would say, take all the help you can get.

He wont be there either way! lol Fairy fairy in the sky. why oh why oh why oh why? lol

1. Alya rose profile image60

Lol.I don't know why this post implies that people who do have "god" in their marriage have the better end of the stick when their just like everyone else.

2. Cly Walsh profile image60
        Cly Walshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

/agree

3. Audrey Parramore profile image61

Reading your comment reminds me of a time when this young man asked me, " what are you gonna do in the end if you find out that God is not real or His word in the Bible on how we should live to go to heaven is not real?" My response was, "then I have nothing to lose because I die and that's it, but supposedly, It all be true, and you didn't believe in God or His word, then you would lose your salvation of going to heaven, so out of the 2 choices to believe or not to believe, I chose to believe so i will be prepared just in case.

Better the Beatitudes as well than just the Commandments.

24. efeguy profile image41
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

at first it is God tht arrange the marriage.

GOD is all

25. PennyLove profile image61
    PennyLoveposted 13 years ago

I'm not too sure if you still look at the replies to this but i thought id add a comment.

Im 18 btw. I was raised by parents who have been married for 35 years today:)I can truly say that if my parents never brought God into their relationship then my family would not be where they are today. I say this because 11years ago my parents began attending catechesis (the neocatechumenal way) and they have changed greatly. I remember that before (yes, they were married in the church, but just because they were married in the church it doesnt mean that they were REALLY in a close bond with God) it wasnt until the neocatechumenal way that I saw a change in their relationship. I knew that a love like theirs (now) cannot be attained without God present in their marriage (like ACTUALLY present to the point where they accepted him fully in it) because prior to joining the way my dad was barely present in our lives, he was always working and when he was home he was always angry. He used to be very physical when angry. When we all started the way i saw a COMPLETE change in my dad (something that cannot be done by human hands) it had to be God, and i know it is God. Now, because of my parents relationship and my relationship that ive now formed with God, i know that nothing can be done without god. Nowadays, i now have a boyfriend, and Im happy to say that we both believe that we cant have a relationship without God in it. We vowed eachother to stay pure til marriage and now were going on a year:) and im completely happy that God has allowed me to find someone who understands and accepts my beliefs. Because honestly, there is no successful relationship without the acknowledgement of God. God should come first, so that through God you are able to love others in a way no one can relate to. A love that is unselfish. Because noone really knows how to love. God is love, love is knowledge, knowledge comes from god.There is no true love without the prescence of God there.

but thats just my opinion. no one has to agree. Because I know for a fact that God has a journey for all of us, and if the journey that you choose to take does not involve him then that is your choice. People think god is more vengeful than merciful but if that was the case then we'd all be dead by now. He's the only one who will have the greatest capacity to love even though others may hate him.

26. kawsar ahmad profile image61
    kawsar ahmadposted 13 years ago

Nothing can survive without God's command and maintenance and sustenance. If he will's it will survive but we have to meet the best requirements for its survival

27. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

you mean by belief in god or non belief in god by both partner?..didnt get your question...i know many atheist couple married for 20 plus years...so god equation doesnot come into picture for them...at same time i know many couple with firm believe in god and married for more than 20 years...so it is inconclusive...yes like every thing god is useful to carry on but other than that i dont think god and marriage are related..

28. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I don't know, but if I get married I'll sure give it a try.

My guess is yes since before God was popular there were many couples who made it without him. And still are today.

Not saying having God in people's lives and marriage is a bad thing for them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)