life

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. hunnybunny783 profile image60
    hunnybunny783posted 14 years ago

When I’m out with my friends and having a good time a lot of people say that I come off cocky because I know how good I am at things, and how beautiful I am. When I am home alone I can’t help but to think the exact opposite. If I were to undress myself and look in the mirror, I can tell you now I would not like what I see. When I look at myself I see fat, scars, and anything else there could possibly be wrong. I can’t help but to ask the question, do other girls see their self the same way or do they have confidence? People tend to judge themselves based on other people standers and what other people look like. Forgetting that everyone’s body is different. Yet I still will say that I look ugly. When I am with a man, in the bedroom I can honestly say that most of the time I will be dressed or it will be dark enough so that they can’t see me. There is one extremely huge scar on the middle of my stomach, which a lot of people like to call it a battle wound. To me it’s just another insecurity. Every time I see it I can’t help but to think of every one else’s perfect, flat, scar free stomach. A guy has never told me that they wouldn’t be with me because of a scar but to me that doesn’t matter. When I grew up I was always sick, and I had the best friend ever. The biggest problem was that she was absolutely beautiful (which is not a bad thing). She had the “perfect” body, skinny, tan, blonde hair and beautiful eyes. Knowing that I already felt like an outcast because I was always sick but now I’m second best (at least in my eyes). Time moved forward and we stayed friends till this day, but starting in middle school things turned for me. We got into the boy phase, where we started liking boys. Of course she had the best guys and everyone I was interested in liked her. I love my best friends and I wouldn’t change them for the world, but with every guy thought the last 10 years built on me. After being in an abusive (emotionally) relationship not naming anyone, my mind is just convinced that I will always be 2nd best if not worse. How did I get so low on myself? How do I fix it? That’s just some of the things that go through my head everyday. My judgments on how I look will not change. I don’t know if I will ever be happy with the way I look. How do you change something that took so long to create? I just wish and hope that one day I will like me for who I am, not they way I viewed myself in the past.

1. Victoria Dubois profile image60
      Victoria Duboisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I feel the same way about the way I look. But I have read & men have confirmed it.....men don't SEE our scars or imperfect thighs, etc., IF we are comfortable with our own bodies & with theirs.  Honestly, it really does work, because I've asked many men & have experimented.  If I act confident, they actually think I am.  Ever heard the saying:  fake it until you make it?  Well, it does work, but it takes time.  I do feel your pain & wish you well.

2. alternate poet profile image68
      alternate poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The idea that we should be perfect, and somehow fail if we are not, is a modern idea to do with people as commodity - through straightforward advertising. we are persuaded all the time that we should be different, models are impossibly tall and skinny and perfect - to be impossibly attainable, this way you always have unfulfilled desire, and desire leads to buying.

Nobody is perfect (except my partner) everyone is only relative to another and to compare yourself with someone beautiful is to ignore the rest of humanity around you in various degrees of ugliness.

2. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

It sounds like your problem goes way deeper than just minor. Can you seek professional help? You are not alone with these feelings.

I can say that I struggle with thoughts similar to yours, but not with an intensity.  I too have bad scarring on my abdomen...the result of 2 C-sections that were done with the vertical incision resulting in the total destruction of muscle tone there. It looks bad but oh well. It's not me. I try to accent the better parts. Besides, what does it matter?

Please try to talk to someone about your insecurities. You are worthy and worthwhile.

3. Victoria Dubois profile image60
    Victoria Duboisposted 14 years ago

Amen!

4. the pink umbrella profile image73
    the pink umbrellaposted 14 years ago

Please dont feel that way. Its good that you are or seem to be confident when you go out, no one and i mean no one likes the "do i look fat" girl. But you should have that same confidence at home too. Look i am by no means the overconfident huge chick, im 26 years old, ive had a baby, and have done absolutly nothing to get rid of baby belly. But, the older i get the more i desperstely look for the good qualitys i have, and the less i overdramatize my flaws. One day we will all be 90 years old, and we will look at our wrinkled bodies, and remember how young and smooth our skin was and we will finally get that saying. "if i knew then what i know now" The one good thing about being an individual is that we are all different. Guys may have their superficial moments, but thay dont really see scars and stretch marks, and stuff like that. Confidance is key, and i mean that without trying to be corny. When your confident, people are less likely to focus on the things you think are imperfections. Its when you think less of yourself and it shows, that you magnify what you think is wrong with you. Your beautiful, and your scar, everything about you makes you an individual. And dont stand in front of the mirror for too long. Youll see imperfections that arent even there.

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

You look great! If you aren't happy about your looks you need another look! There's nothing wrong there! I know it's not fair but if you're out with guys try and be a little more fun and not so smart. The young guys I know are about a good time and hate anything that resembles drama.You're a good looker and you're smart be confident and fun!smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)