I hate it when people say what others should do...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Contriceposted 13 years ago

ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE NOT DOING IT THEMSELVES!

---Like the friend, who I know has really good intentions, goes on and on about how awful and disrespectful another child is to their parent (and how it needs to be dealt with) but her third grade son still throws tantrums in public, tells her to "shut her mouth" and was kicked out of daycare (but according to her he wasn't kicked out, she pulled him out...I met the kid, I know the truth)

OR

---The friend who is quick to give relationship advice, yet her other half disappears for an entire night.  When he does finally show up, he tells her that he had to stay at a friends house because he could not find his keys or his phone...

WHATEVER!!!!!!!

People who give advice that they will not take themselves sometimes makes me upset.  Does this ever make you frown?

1. wildorangeflower profile image60
      wildorangeflowerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

these are just mechanisms because they are in self denial, it is the worst case -- when they refuse to see the problem and they want to project that they are doing well, doesn't help them at all,
      acceptance for some is very hard

2. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's always easier to give an advice than to follow it. It requires certain maturity and thinking to be able to recognize your own mistakes and admit it.

1. profile image0
        Contriceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I do agree.  And lets me just say, I definitly do not want to hurt any feelings (these are friends who have been good to me)...I'm just saying what I can not say to them.  Although I wish I could, I know it would rub them the wrong way.  Like you said wildorangeflower, it's self denial.  I never thought of it as being a coping mechanism and I do agree that being able to realize ones mistakes requires maturity and the willingness to self reflect.  People do not like to admit there faults.

3. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know, it's happening all the time. These people who have the audacity to tell others something, offer advice (usually not asked for) and criticize, are usually the most guilty of the very thing they're referring to. Just don't take any notice of them, they're not worth it - they should take a good look at themselves before they look at others, but they wouldn't listen even if you told them so.

4. Goodpal profile image76
      Goodpalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your examples demonstrate how easy it is to preach. It is a double standard - they don't follow what they preach; sure proof of depth-less personalities.

When someone gives you a sincere advice -- he or she is ACTUALLY say it to him- (her-) self while sympathizing with you.

That's the BIG difference very few people know.

2. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Totally know what you mean. It makes me wonder and sometimes laugh - but doesn't really upset me, unless they're trying to tell ME what to do!  ha ha - not a good idea.  Like my friend who continually cancels on dates with me but says I'm the one who does it!  no longer a friend, actually.  seems like a lot of that advice is so mis-directed because those people live in the land of constant denial and never look in the mirror!

3. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

That does make me frown,yes.Like someone said "Advice is like vegetable-easy to serve, difficult to consume"

1. profile image0

I like that saying smile

4. rebel46 profile image58
    rebel46posted 13 years ago

Oh, my gosh!  I'm feeling the exact same thing right now.  It's very disheartening and discouraging, especially when it presents itself in the arena of parenting.  As a mother of five, I have heard nothing but judgments and criticisms every step of the way.  Parenting is probably the most difficult job we'll ever face and when you constantly hear about what you're doing wrong or how "they" would have done it, it only causes you to question yourself (which you were probably already doing in the first place)!  Sometimes I think these words are given under the pretense of "giving advice" just so that "they" can feel better about themselves.  In other words, "they" need to make themselves look superior to me and they do that by constantly pointing out all of the things that I may be doing wrong (in their opinion, that is).

Where is the encouragement, the understanding or the support?  We all make mistakes and we all have skeletons in our closet.  Why can't we all work together, share our experiences and support each other?  In my mind, it would only provide a generation of more well-rounded, decent people who have discovered the art of teamwork for a greater purpose.

Thanks for your post!  I could go on and on about this topic....but I won't!

1. profile image0

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth.  It is a way to feel superior.---The thinking of a bad advisor---"maybe if I tell them how to fix there problem (even though mine are worse), they will think I know how to handle my own problems (even though I really have no clue)"

Again WHATEVER!!!

2. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where is the encouragement, the understanding or the support?

My friend is one of those Gay males that thinks he's a woman, a battered woman, a woman that calls you to stop the man from beatin her Ass, a woman that tells me I'm not understanding or supportive because I call him all kinds of fool. The last time he ended up with a broken eye socket. I told him to never call me again. You dont have to listen to me. You also dont have to bother me when u gettin your ass beat down.

5. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

You should stop this thread. big_smile

or not

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Yep, there are self-appointed world policeman everywhere. I merely place them in the avoidance category and move on…

Edit: For that matter, I agree with every post on this thread so far.

1. profile image0

The avoidance category...I think that's really all that can be done.

7. beebong profile image57
    beebongposted 13 years ago

So what would you like to do?.

1. profile image0

Well part of me would like to scream "shut the h*** up you idiot, like you have room to talk" but I think for the good of the friendship I should go with paradigmsearch.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)