jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

HP poll about Clinton wedding:

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

It's all in the news about how much the Clintons are spending on Chelsea's wedding. The "experts" say the cost is between $2 and $5 million. As a reference, the Bushes spent $100,000 on Jenna's wedding, and the average cost of a wedding in the US is $24,000.

What do you think?

A. It's a flagrant waste of money in the midst of all the economic suffering in America right now.

B. The Clintons earned that money, and Chelsea is their only child. They should feel free to give her the wedding of her dreams.

C. undecided

1. jacobkuttyta profile image46
      jacobkuttytaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

B -  Let them do whatever they want to do

2. travelespresso profile image83
    travelespressoposted 6 years ago

Habee - my thoughts. 
    It does seem like a lot of money to spend but it's their money, their child, their event so they can spend it how they like.

Personally, I doubt I would spend that amount of money on a day, but I don't have it so its a non issue for me!

3. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I really have mixed feelings about this and can see both sides. Part of me thinks that they could have had a fabulous wedding for just $1 million and could have donated the rest to charity. That would have fed a lot of hungry folks!

1. travelespresso profile image83
      travelespressoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's very true but they already give money to charity.
      You could take that argument down to an individual level.  What if I earned a modest amount, anyone could say that I could live more frugally and give the rest to feed others.  I guess the point I'm trying to make is if one makes judgments about the rich then where does it stop?
      I believe that it's a persons right to spend their own money how they choose.

2. jacobkuttyta profile image46
      jacobkuttytaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for your big heart for donating Clinton's money to fed a lot of hungry folks!

1. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As I said, I have mixed feelings. I could never spend that much money for a single event, even if I had it. I agree that the Clintons have donated a lot to charity. I'm not judging them for how they spend their money - they earned it. I'm just saying how I would feel.

4. Mr Nice profile image69
    Mr Niceposted 6 years ago

Well B. is the right answer. Chelsea is their only child & they can spend that kind of money. Bill Clinton alone can make that money in a day or two.
    What would be your options if you only have one child and you are in same position like Clinton's?

5. Pearldiver profile image88
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Aren't they paying the father in law's debts along with the wedding costs? hmm

It's not about the money.... it's about finding someone who would be crazy enough to sign the Pre-Nup lol

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Funny, Pearl!

6. pisean282311 profile image58
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

B..it is for clinton's to spend their earned money in way they want to...

7. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago

B.  Although I do think it's indescribably tacky to spend that much on a wedding!

8. Ohma profile image79
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

B. is my initial response. It is their money and should be able to spend it as they see fit.
    I would like to say that I would not choose to spend it that way but since I have never had it to spend I do not know that I wouldn't.

9. PrettyPanther profile image86
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

B.  They can spend their money however they wish.

That doesn't mean that I personally don't think that it's wasteful and tacky.  However, my personal opinion doesn't and shouldn't matter to them.

working