jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Friendship On the Job

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 6 years ago

Is it important for you to make friends on your job?

1. 0
      mtsi1098posted 6 years ago in reply to this

for me, it is not important to make friends at work.  Too many times the "good old boy" network stands in the way of productivity

Woman Of Courageposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree that friendship happens on it's own also, but there are others who feel that it's a requirement to have friends on their job. That is where the problem come in. Every one who says they are your friend is not your friend.

2. Phenomenal woman profile image60
    Phenomenal womanposted 6 years ago

It is important to build relationships with your colleges,as long as it's just a friendship.It's good to have people you work well with.But,building a different kind of relationship with a co-worker can be very messy.Keep it professional.

I agree with you totally. Thanks for your answer.

3. anniedee profile image82
    anniedeeposted 6 years ago

I think that becoming close friends with a co-worker can lead to messy situations, but it's always a good idea to be on good terms with them. If you really hit it off with someone, it would be silly to forgo building a relationship, but there's no need to be best buddies with your coworkers.

anniedee- that is so true, I don't believe in being best buddies with coworkers either, but of course, it good to get along with them, if they let us.

4. Phenomenal woman profile image60
    Phenomenal womanposted 6 years ago

Your always welcome

5. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I think you need to be able to get along with people but don't "need" to be friends with anyone.  Then again, friendships happen.  I've made friends at work, then someone leaves the company (unrelated reasons), and the friendship has remained.  I met my husband at work.  (Romance happens too.  smile  )  We were two single, twenties, people.  We ate lunch together and talked after work, before going home.  It didn't affect either of our work.  I was the one to eventually leave.  He stayed.  We stayed together.  You don't have to let things be messy if you become friends (or more) with someone.  I pretty much think it's normal to make friends wherever anyone is.  hmm

Lisa, that is good news! I am happy things worked out for you and your sweetheart. I remember a time when 2 coworkers started dating on a job where I was employed. They broke up, and the woman was hurt, but they had to see each other faces everyday. I knew that was a challenge. It's a good thing you didn't have to go through that.

6. fucsia profile image59
    fucsiaposted 6 years ago

No it is not. The important thing is that there is a relationship of cooperation and respect. If there is also sympathy and friendship  is better, but not very important.

That  is so true fucsia. My main goal at work is to cooperate, and do my job requirements.

working