jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

There are no Hypothetical Situations on HP

1. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 6 years ago

Whenever someone says ..'what if' or 'lets say' this happened..it means it has happened and the writer wants validation. Why would you bother to ask about a fictional problem when there are so many real ones out there.

1. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I, personally, wouldn't ask about any problems; but I've often assumed people post "what if's" (etc.) just for the purpose of discussion much of the time.  Somebody may have heard a discussion about a subject (or something like that) and just think it's an interesting thing to start a discussion about.  In fact, I pretty much assume a lot of the problems presented as real ones are just people trying to get discussions going (maybe because they're interested in the subject, maybe because they think they've heard that participating in the forums helps a person get known on HubPages).

1. A la carte profile image60
        A la carteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hadn't thought of that..particularly the last part about getting known. I am still wary of hypotheticals tho smile

1. the pink umbrella profile image71
          the pink umbrellaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i ask what ifs all the time. What makes you so sure that just because someone asks a hypothetical question, that they have some kind of involvement in said situation?

2. Stevennix2001 profile image81
      Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

well, i can't speak for any other hubber on hubpages, but i opened forums on a LOT of "what if" scenarios all the time that have never happened to me before at all.  No, most of my forums on "what if" scenarios are often based on movies and tv shows that i've recently seen or an event that happened to someone I know about in the past. seriously, like in the religious forum, i asked what would you do if you trapped in the elevator with the devil.  Personally, i have never been stuck in an elevator and if i was, i doubt seriously even I would have that much bad luck to be stuck with a guy that could potentially either be the devil or some derranged psycho.