jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

can a sixteen year old get marry?

1. joebee profile image61
    joebeeposted 6 years ago

Hello, fellow hubbers, it has come to my notice that young girls at the age of sixteen are have boyfriends. so can any man marry such girls at that age?

1. Polly C profile image88
      Polly Cposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It depends on what country you are in - here in England I believe it is 18, or 16  with parental consent. Mind you, lots of 16 year olds might have boyfriends, but would absolutely not want to get married. And most of these relationships will not last or be long term, 16 is so young. Most people wouldn't want to get married until around 25 plus.

1. joebee profile image61
        joebeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

so why  should society allow their children to have boy friends at that age

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why does having a relationship mean that you must get married?

It sounds like you're coming from a religious background here. Too many marriages based on a short relationship or parental selection end up with problems such as abuse or violence. I'm not saying that self selected ones don't, but at least with self selection one can make the choice.

2. Polly C profile image88
          Polly Cposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Where do you live, Joe? Societies all around the world are different - here, marriage is not something to rush into but something to be sure about. Here, most people live together before getting married - something that has changed dreastically over the last 40 years or so. In fact, marriage is something which has come to be a personal choice - many couples do not get married at all, or wait years before tying the knot. Some get married younger, but either way it no longer matters.

Hence, if I had a 16 year old daughter I would be pretty horrified if she wanted to marry at 16, and I would not give consent. I would want her to wait and be sure she had met the right person, go to university etc., find her way in life. Marriage at a young age is more likely to lead to divorce. But in my opinion there is nothing wrong with a 16 year old having a boyfriend, without thinking that she has to settle down for life.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I believe in most countries, a young person who is below the age of maturity (generally agreed to be 18 or 21), must have either the parents or the courts permission to legally wed.

3. 60
    almera diwaposted 6 years ago

I'm not in favor of a sixteen year-old girl to get marry. She is not yet capable of building her own family. She is too young and still immature in handling her responsibilities. She can't be a goo mother and wife. And she still haven't enjoy her single life.

4. pisean282311 profile image58
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

in my country legally no...

5. khmohsin profile image60
    khmohsinposted 6 years ago

16 is really young age...