jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (29 posts)

Ladies, what advice would you give a young lady about dating?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago

Well ladies, if you knew of a young girl that was going out on her first date. Let's just say she's 12, then what advice would you give her about her first date?  please discuss.  by the way, this has nothing to do with me or anyone that i know. i just like reading your posts, as i do get a kick out of them, as most of you probably know about me by now. big_smile

1. annb106 profile image59
      annb106posted 5 years ago in reply to this

To be honest; I don't think that a 12 year old should be going on a date or anything else. I realize that kids are doing that but, they should be focusing on being a child.

1. princess g profile image60
        princess gposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Agreed, twelve is way too young

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

At twelve?  I would not encourage romantic style dating at that age. Just 'group of friends' activities.

Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

yeah, good point.  besides, many girls are often naive about dating around that age anyway, so it would be easy for a boy to try to take advantage of them.

1. shaekelly profile image73
        shaekellyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Its funny you should ask that question, I can definitely give her advice, I've just published the hub entitled" 10 Signs: He Is Mr. Wrong, I also have older hubs 10 Ways to Know If He Is Into You, and 10 Ways to Know If He Is Just Not That Into You. tell her to check them out. Even if she doesn't read the hubs I, advice her to be very selective, pay attention, and be very careful in dating.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Keeping them in a group activities framework allows some harmless crushes if they are at that stage without letting it get too far.

again, another good point

4. 0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

Lock her in her room until she's eighteen! lol

lollollollol that could work. lol tongue

2. annb106 profile image59
      annb106posted 5 years ago in reply to this

That sounds like a winner to me. They should be enjoying being a child and not rush into anything else. When they rush into adult things, they can't get the child things back.

3. princess g profile image60
      princess gposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is the best idea yet:)

5. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
    Lifeallstar1posted 6 years ago

Twelve is young but I remember being twelve and going on a date. My mother suggested we go with a group of friends to the movies. That's what we basically did. The movies and out to eat. We also went bowling! Woo Hoo! It took the pressure off of us and our parents wink So I suggest a young lady at the age of twelve definitely go on a group date and it doesn't even have to be all couples.

Why are you really asking though? big_smile

eh, just bored and twelve was a random number that i thought up at the top of my head.  lol.

6. hanging out profile image60
    hanging outposted 6 years ago

How about... marry the fellah after you both graduate university.

7. titobay profile image66
    titobayposted 6 years ago

Twelve is rather young to be out on a date. If she must, she would be better of with a group of positive minded friends, remember, peer groups do have influence on children at that age and if she messes up with the wrong group, she might end up on the wrong lane. So going out with groups that the parents can trust is very important. Also the choice of venue is important, nothing cozy and sexual. Sexual imagination arouses early these days among children due to technology and social media so parents need to be on top of family affairs to prevent children from derailing. Once she decides to embark on dates, mother-daughter communication becomes highly essential essential from this moment.

8. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 6 years ago

Hi, Tell her not to bother! I always say, you spend half your life trying to find the man of your dreams, and the rest of the time trying to get rid of him! lol

1. 0
      klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

2. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
      Lifeallstar1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't think anyone is going to be able to top that advice! big_smile

9. Internetwriter62 profile image87
    Internetwriter62posted 6 years ago

Make sure the date is in a safe environment like your home or his parent's home. Make sure it is a daytime date and try to advice your daughter not to engage in any sexual activities.

10. 0
    jca197493@yahoo.cposted 5 years ago

I have two boys. My oldest is 15 and it is tough watching them date and all the worries that come with it. I believe having a strong  relationship with your child helps. They need to understand the concept of dating and how they should respect themselves and others. Boy or girl they need to have a parent take the time to talk to them.

11. couturepopcafe profile image62
    couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago

No one's mentioned sex.  Yes, 12 is too young but when the age is right, let's say 18, young males are interested in the hunt and conquest.  Young females need to know that penis is the enemy until she is married or old enough to know about life.
    Men may not get this, but having sex without love is a big self esteem crusher.  Women cannot separate sex from love in their minds so every encounter without love is potentially devastating even if she pretends it isn't.  It will catch up to her.

12. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 5 years ago

If you're crazy enough to let her go on a date at 12, don't be surprised when she comes back pregnant with your first grandchild.

13. 61
    MollyKateposted 5 years ago

12 I'd say is a bit young for actual dating. I had a so called bf at around 12 but it is more like hanging out as friends with a group of friends but never unsupervised. Hand holding was the big deal. But also when I say Supervised i don't mean parents following them around 2 steps behind or making them sit in the same room all the time with them, they also need you to trust them a little too.  Be involved and take them to the movies, mall, putt-putt or whatever during the day and be there just not lingering right there.   Then meet them at x time at x spot.  Give them a little space but let them know the boundaries "Rules" and consequences for unappropriate behavior upfront and follow-through if necessary. Normally, at that age it is more hanging out and socializing than any thing else.  Also, it is a good idea to get to know the bf or gf, invite them over for dinner or watch a movie.  Ask questions afterward, for example about the movie? who was there? if it is a group event. etc...
    As for dating it was not allowed till I was 16 and same for my friends.  I will say that the girls with the strictest parents were the ones that were the most rebellious and got into the most trouble.

14. krystalsmith profile image60
    krystalsmithposted 5 years ago

Although I agree with most people on here that ideally a 12 year old would not be dating, I also know that 12 year olds DO date and to try to force them not to will only damage your relationship with them. So assuming that she's already decided to go down that path I would tell her to have fun, discuss with her the consequences and risks of some actions and encourage her to set definite boundaries that she will not cross. The main thing would be to encourage her to talk with me when she got back, I would want to make sure she felt she had a mature adult she could tell everything to and get advice from. Not that I would be her "friend" and never tell her her actions were wrong, but I would want her to be able to be honest and open with me so that I could give her the guidance that she will need and that I wish I could've had. (I had a mother who said it's bad, don't do it, and assumed I never snuck out at night, I had zero guidance and when bad things happened, I had noone to talk to.)

15. Pamela N Red profile image92
    Pamela N Redposted 5 years ago

Kids mature at different levels but I agree with the others that said twelve is way too young. They should enjoy their youth as long as possible.

Start them out in group settings with other kids. Have her boyfriend come over and watch a movie or play a game with adult supervision.

Make sure you discuss sex and let her know that you should wait for a special guy and not give yourself to just anyone. Make sure she has access to condoms even if you don't think she is sexually active. Even if she is on oral contraceptives that won't protect her from STD's

Don't be naive and assume just because you told her to remain celibate that nothing will happen.

16. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

1. All men are stinky
    2. Keep your legs crossed
    3. Keep your mouth crossed
    4. If they say "that never happened before.."  They are lying
    5. Marry rich

17. bornblond8dg profile image60
    bornblond8dgposted 5 years ago

I honestly do not believe that the age of 12 is appropriate to start dating,  what does your parents say about that?  I don't believe in simply dating casually,  unless you are ready to search for a future marriage partner what's the real purpose in dating?Sorry guys i'm speaking from having been divorced, so i'm sure you can proboly understand my perspective on this.

18. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 5 years ago

Make sure she knows that telling a boy no and having him stop does NOT mean the issue won't come up again - it doesn't mean that particular boy is safe from then on.