jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Making people love themselves

1. Cleanclover profile image60
    Cleancloverposted 6 years ago

How can i make someone love themselves? What do i need to do to make this happen?

1. PassionJunkie profile image75
      PassionJunkieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Truth and love for thyself must be discovered in the depth of your own being.Its a process and there is no one way to do it !

2. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago

you cant, you only can control yourself and what you do. You cant MAKE another perosn do anything.

1. Cleanclover profile image60
      Cleancloverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Can i motivate or lead them to love themselves then?

1. 0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can point out thier good qualites and why you care about them. Everybody likes a little reasuring at times.  But ultimately, its up to each individual to decide to be comfortable in their own skin.

3. CMCastro profile image87
    CMCastroposted 6 years ago

Pointing out a person's good points is not the only thing to do. Giving them extra attention does not replace their self esteem that they have lost. I think that teaching them that There is a Higher Power through Jesus Christ, God's Son, that gave up Himself on the Cross in order for us to Have Eternal Life is the only way. Read the Gospel of John chapter 3, verse 16 in the New Testament in the Bible.

"For God so loved the world that He gave us His only Son, for so whoever believe in Him will not perish but will have Eternal Life."

1. xobliam profile image62
      xobliamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I always have a problem when people mention eternity and religion in the same conversation.

It seems most people think eternity starts after death. If there is such a thing as eternal life then we are in it now.

The ouroboros in her hand is a symbol of resurrection and of eternal being. Two circles forming an eight is another.

I don't totally disagree with your message and am almost a firm believe in John and of his visions while on Patmos....I however am also a firm believer that this is Tartarus or the Underworld and we struggle to love others because we are by nature miserable souls not fit for the higher realms of goodness that are levels of the eternal journey.

My answer to the OP would then be to direct them to their passion and to encourage them in that passion without being condescending.

4. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

Your actions always speak louder than your words. Hence, the reason for no need of the religion forums.

Love is action. They won't ever love themselves until they are ready to do so. If you love yourself, people will draw to you naturally, and often won't even know why.

Love is action. Self action first.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hey mornin' DC!...just dropped by to say hi!

1. Daniel Carter profile image90
        Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey gurly girl. Love the ever changing avatar.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
          couturepopcafeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You mean SomewayOuttahere is a girl?  Well I'll be darned.

1. xobliam profile image62
            xobliamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

an alternate poet thinks you are clever and smart, and that you're not to bad looking....and a good cook to boot.......

and i was just kidding yesterday about the lard being a guyrl.....now you are telling me somewayouttahere is possible a lard...

Little wonder people are touchy feely around here. Everything is so complicated.

5. alternate poet profile image74
    alternate poetposted 6 years ago

I would definately avoid the jesus route of the love myself brigade.

You cannot make someone love themselves, you can however give them love, encouragement, support and self confidence so that they have what they need for them to love themself.

I have been taught how to do this by my amazing Chinese partner - if it is a woman then tell her that she is beautiful, clever, smart, her cooking is fantastic and the way she treats you is great - and never ever criticise or stop insisting that all those things are true.  If it is not true do them anyway until you believe them yourself and they become so.

6. Zenofsong profile image61
    Zenofsongposted 6 years ago

I've been doing a lot of research on this subject and I can make it very simple for anyone to begin loving themselves and even get them to be ADDICTED to loving themselves.

Step 1:

Imagine what it would be like if you loved yourself. What would you look like? How would you stand? How would your face appear? How would you get out of bed in the morning?

Try to find out as much as you can about this self loving you. This helps build this image in your mind. See, our personalities are nothing but mental images we project through a body.

Step 2:

Walk up to the self and give it a big hug! Imagine melting into that self. Feel what that self feels, think what that self thinks. Intensify the feelings. Where are they strongest? Intensify the volume of your thoughts of self-appreciation.

Do this repeatedly, changing things here or there, imagine yourself being loving to yourself in various situations.

The problem with self-esteem is we think too much about the lack of self esteem and we have no real idea what it woudl be like to feel good about our selves. After doing this exercise, we can begin to go out and gather the reference experiences that will enhance our self esteem even more.

7. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Too many people are really great at loving themselves, and thinking far too highly of themselves; and too few really know what it means to love someone else in a healthy way. The world would be a better place if a few people loved themselves a little less.   lol