jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

Prenuptial agreements

1. fayehelen profile image72
    fayehelenposted 6 years ago

So I listened to a massive talk show on the radio today discussing prenuptial agreements. Apparently the amount of couples signing one before their wedding day  has rocketed the last few years in the UK.
    I think that is sad. I would never marry somebody I couldn't trust 100% (no matter how rich I was). If I though they would try steal my money I wouldn't marry them. And if my fiance asked me to sign one I would be furious. Trust is so important in a relationship.

Anyway, just wondering what your views were on this issue? Did you sign a pre-nuptual agreement? Would you?

1. tmbridgeland profile image85
      tmbridgelandposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, we didn't sign one and I never considered it. These days, at least in the US, the law is so tough on the male that a lot of guys don't want to get married at all, too dangerous. Maybe they are asking for pre-nups?

2. JenSet profile image61
    JenSetposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure whether I would want one or not, but I think for some couples pre-nups are a way to ease tensions and avoid arguments about money. I think if one person is coming into marriage with a lot more money having a pre-nup will help them feel secure that they won't lose everything if the marriage doesn't work out (this is particularly true if their parents are divorced). I agree they're not the most romantic thing in the world haha, but if it helps both people feel better going into the marriage then I think its a good thing. I think it's more to ease the "what-ifs" then it is an issue of trusting the other person.

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

I got married on a shoe string budget, we were both poor as peasants at the time! Our biggest expense was a sewing machine so we could both make our wedding outfits, for halloween no less as thats when we got hitched smile

If he had asked me to sign a prenup I think I might have died with the ensuing laughter! lol
    Or at lest wet my pants!

4. DRobinson63 profile image61
    DRobinson63posted 5 years ago

We didn't have a lot of money when we got married and we never thought about a Prenup at all. It is kind of sad when you think there is a possibility of a marriage ending before it really began but I can understand wanting to protect what is yours in case the person you married isn't the person you thought they where.

5. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

Perhaps instead of a prenuptial agreement, there should be a term limit to marriage itself?  Say, three years.  After the three years is up, the marriage is automatically dissolved unless both parties decide to renew the contract.

In answer to your question, no I've never signed a prenup... because I've never been married!  I'm not sure whether or not I *would* sign one - I just can't imagine such a situation arising! 

Like other posters here, I can sort of understand why prenuptial agreements might be worth considering if one of the partners has more money than the other.  Though I would always recommend that the "wealthy" party broaches the subject with tact and sensitivity.

6. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

I personally think Pre-Nups are excellent and I would never have a problem signing one or expecting a perspective partner to do so!
    They are Fair and they recognize pre-relationship assets and successes... Two Important Issues if you have family by a previous partner.
    On their own they are a Great Leveller as they allow both partners the opportunity of not loosing the home to a House Keeper smile  or loosing their marbles in a legal dispute... Unless these issues have been agreed upon.

For Longer Term Relationships I Believe that having an Established Family Trust that runs in conjunction with the PreNup, can best create a fairer equity... without putting estate beneficiaries at risk.

There are many aspects to take into consideration in regard to Trusts and Pre-Nups.  Every situation is different and you must ALWAYS ensure that you have the ability to make an Informed Decision Prior To entering into the execution of such documents!
    Maybe I should write a couple of Hubs on the subjects hmm

7. Lita C. Malicdem profile image81
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 5 years ago

Pre-nups are arrangements only for the moneyed. They want to protect their hard-earned interest and not interested in sharing it to a partner. LOL! I was just lucky to be poor and married my equal. But he passed away before we got to make our simple dreams come true.  We had no problem about who was earning much or less because we shared the bounty equally with our children.

8. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 5 years ago

My wife and I have one and it's served as the basis for a long and successful marriage.  We've been together for years now with 5 sons.  Our prenuptial agreement was very simple:

She tells me what to do.
    I do it.

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...i think they are a must to have in place!...i've been married too many times...it just makes that divorce thingy to be as smooth as possible for me....it's all about me baby!

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Makes sense.  hmm

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol ...hey Tobey!...mornin'

10. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

Pre-nups have there place and I wouldn't get married without one.  I've been divorced 4 times so I speak from experience.