jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

How do you leave a codependent relationship

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image76
    schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago

when you want to but you fear like hell being alone

2. Stevennix2001 profile image81
    Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago

happiness comes from within.  if your not happy enough with yourself, then you'll never be happy in a relationship.  you have to learn to love yourself first.

schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think I'm starting to.

2. kids-toy-box profile image52
      kids-toy-boxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree.

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image76

Do you have to cut the person completely out? I think so. Maybe keep them as a phone friend? Maybe not?

tough if they are your best friend...

4. kids-toy-box profile image52
    kids-toy-boxposted 6 years ago

Well it will be hard at first but you have to weigh the situation, do you think the relationship is salvagable or is it beyond repair. If it is beyond repair then there is no reason to stay becaue you feel lonely. Loneliness is a sate of mind more than it is physical. You can be surrounded by people but still feel lonely. You have to have peace of mind with yourself..know what you want--have goals--try to achieve them...so that you are not dependent on another person.Off course it is nice having a hnad to fhold while you achiev your life goals..but dont let teh fear of being alone keep you from living a happier life.Do things that make you happy--even if it means being single again..life is far too short and too precious to waste sitting on the fence.

schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago in reply to this

romantically it's beyond repair. I just want to be friends....
      Lonliness is def a state of mind.  I fear I'm weak in that dept. hmm
      at times.
      I feel like I'm addicted to them and need a place to detox.

5. CMHypno profile image87
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

You don't have to be alone - you have family and friends around to support you.

But until you are happy and content being alone with yourself, you will never attract a healthy relationship into your life, as at the moment what you are really doing is trying to get another person to fill your empty spaces.

Everyone thought the 'you complete me' line in Jerry Maguire was really sweet and romantic, but really it's just symptomatic of how many people in our society are feeling empty and not truly themselves.  If you want to be emotionally happy and healthy you need to be complete in and of yourself, and not needing anyone else to validate you.

Good luck, and keep on telling yourself what a special, unique, wonderful person you are

1. kids-toy-box profile image52
      kids-toy-boxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is good advice!

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image76

thanks. everytime I breakup w/  him he comes back and I feel like I'm going to die w/ out him -happened about 20 times so far.
    My family is manipulative and abusive emotionally
    I don't really have "support" if I cut the ties
    He makes me feel safe by always having the right advice
    I would need to live w/ supportive people to do it.

hmm

7. schoolgirlforreal profile image76

I also want to say that 2 of my sisters married much worse
    and the other two dated worse also...

My father is chauvenistic and mean.

I don't know how to do this-but I'm going to keep trying. I keep telling him let's be friends.

Ok I'm done.

working