jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

1. fiksy02 profile image61
    fiksy02posted 5 years ago

What is the significance of dowry. I just finished a very intense argument with a man who said by paying dowry he has bought his wife. What do you think.

1. tritrain profile image78
      tritrainposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In some cultures wives may be considered to be owned, like a goat.  The dowry is meant to be like a payment from the woman's family to "pay" for the marriage.

I believe that dowries exist mostly in paternal societies.

1. fiksy02 profile image61
        fiksy02posted 5 years ago in reply to this

im my part of the world, it's the man's family that pays the dowry. I'll do more research and come up with a piece on dowry in my country. I do understand that it's a different culture in different countries.

2. pisean282311 profile image59
      pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

@fiksy02 well he is being straight about it...i believe any transaction of money whether done by man or woman is marriage is plain business...in my country irony is that woman pays dowry and still many man behave as if they have done favor....i am strictly against dowry of any for...

1. skyfire profile image73
        skyfireposted 5 years ago in reply to this

People in our country love to live in denial.

They find love by searching matrimonial sites and then narrowing down the results as per person's salary, age and looks. If they do this hunting on their own and are successful in that relationship they call it love marriage and if their parents do this tedious task then they call it arrange marriage.

In short, marriage in this part of the world is more of routine task which involves a lot of peer-pressure, delusion and has lots of hidden demands from both sides.

3. Pearldiver profile image86
      Pearldiverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I Think Dowries are Great..... When I got married I not only got 3 Gold Fish, A wife who could read a cook book during raunchy nights in and a ring for my nose.. but also a years supply of cow dung whenever my mother-in-law came to stay! smile

Because I was prepared to deal in a dowry, I was able to get 4 goats for my mother-in-law from a guy I met at the bizarre! smile I did hope to got 4 camels... but like her daughter, she didn't hump! big_smile

4. fiksy02 profile image61
      fiksy02posted 5 years ago in reply to this

@pisean282311 I think the dowry is just a symbol of appreciation and it does not help when it becomes a payment. let's face it what u give has dowry most times is not even up to half of what the family had spent raising the person.

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

I don't know.  I say that my son-in-law still owes me three hundred sheep and he refuses to pay, insisting that I am supposed to pay him.

After all the expense we went to raising her?  I don't get it.  It seems backwards to me.

Not that I really want the sheep.  I have no place to put them.

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Don't you have a backyard with grass on? Be creative then. tongue
      You could knit some sweaters...
      No dowry for me, I have 3 sons and no one in a hurry to get married or to move out in Canada.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh, you know how persnickety some neighbors can be.  Like when we had the bonfire last summer - you'd think that the Fire Department wasn't just four miles away and I REALLy don't think their house was in danger anyway - it's mostly brick.

Si that's why I asked for the cash equivalent.  Now he's arguing about exchange rates because he says they have to be Irish sheep - assuming he pays me at all!

3. CASE1WORKER profile image85
    CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago

my dad offerred my husband 30 bob and a ladder

i held out for more!

1. 0

It reminds me something. My dad did not want me to marry my husband, so in order to prevent the "disaster" he(my dad) stole his own watch and told me that my boyfriend stole it! It did not work out as I did not believe the fib and told him that. My future husband had a lot of faults but theft was not one of them. I just laughed.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My mother-in-law lied about me, too.  She said I was a four-eyed Protestant b*tard.

Heck, I'm an atheist..  how wrong she was smile

1. 0

may be you just looked like one!  wink

4. Catering101 profile image60
    Catering101posted 5 years ago

I don't understand the significance of dowry in marriages which should be dominated with love towards both parties. I guess cultures who often apply this do have their own reasons. But I for one, am just not into this kind of set-up.

5. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

In the old country, a woman's family pays the dowry to the man.

If he paid the dowry, tell him he should have used the money to buy back his testicles.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

that is their culture so lets put it at that