jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

GIft for someone you are leaving

1. sudeep13582 profile image67
    sudeep13582posted 5 years ago

If you have to leave someone whom you love most in the world, what would be the best gift for him/her?

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You're kidding right? roll

2. speedbird profile image64
      speedbirdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Forgive and forget any wrongdoings done in the past smile

2. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

A letter telling them how you feel about them and what makes them special, or if time allows a journal of your time spent together with photos and writing about your life together.

3. Matthew Rogerson profile image60
    Matthew Rogersonposted 5 years ago

I agree with 2uesdays letter idea, as this is a constant reminder to your special person about how you feel about them. Equally, I think some material signs of affection could also be relevent. Even if it isn't valentines day, roses are the most symbolic sign of love. The issue with these is that they will eventuall die, so a more suitable option may be to give them a long term possession e.g.a special ornement

4. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

A clear, unambiguous statement of your intent to leave. Preferably a polite one that doesn't cause unnecessary pain, but sometimes that's not always possible...

Seriously.  Anything like a gift or a message saying how special they are will only confuse them ("if he/she thinks I'm so special then why is he/she leaving? Maybe he/she doesn't really mean it. Maybe he/she's just testing me." Etc. Etc.)

5. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

I just read the OP again.

Personal question: if you still love them, why are you leaving?

1. 61
      foreignpressposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I thought the same thing. Is this departure voluntary or involuntary? If it's voluntary (leaving because of incompatibility), I would give nothing. What's the point? If, however, it's involuntary (such as leaving for military service or a job assignment that's far away), then I'd offer something like a locket, ring, an endearing photo, etc.

1. Abbasangel profile image82
        Abbasangelposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah see I would have thought not leaving... unless of course the death is inevitable like dying or something...

6. kazemaru2 profile image60
    kazemaru2posted 5 years ago

A journal with my most recent thoughts as a keepsake to remember me by.

7. phiphi profile image59
    phiphiposted 5 years ago

My gift will be the time which is more precious from any of the gift and on that time we will recall all of our remarkable moments which we spend together in past.

8. mike71090 profile image60
    mike71090posted 5 years ago

your memorabilia with that person...

9. AbsoluteJeanius profile image60
    AbsoluteJeaniusposted 5 years ago

If, for example, you're my lover and are hurting me by leaving, the best thing you can give me is something I can tear up into a gazillion pieces when I move from grief to anger.  Because if I am still in love with you and you are leaving me, the last thing I need is anything that will give me hope or keep me from falling out of love with you. 

If you can't just leave, leave an apology for the way things ended.

10. AbsoluteJeanius profile image60
    AbsoluteJeaniusposted 5 years ago

If you are leaving because of work or war or weeks/months of treatment in a distant hospital, then anything that recalls special moments you enjoyed together would be nice.  A photo album with your comments, memories, words of love, etc. - that kind of thing would be my preference.