jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)

What does it take to be a man?

1. LeopardMan profile image60
    LeopardManposted 5 years ago

No, I don't mean the kind of man that changes himself, and adjusts so he can either attract the best spouse or the best-paying job... What define honour for you?
    Real homour - the one that comes from within?

1. LeXiHuRtZ profile image62
      LeXiHuRtZposted 5 years ago in reply to this

to me a man is someone who takes responsiblity for everything he does or is involved in. some one caring , thoughtful , and a protector of the helpless and hes forgiving and understanding. of course we know he wont be perfect but he tries.

2. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 5 years ago in reply to this

First lesson I ever learned and still the most important one " A Man is responsible " and that encompasses all areas of his life.

1. habee profile image91
        habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Understanding the meaning and true value of "Integrity". wink

Where it comes from? How it affects Life? How it effects Others?

Understanding Integrity comes from honesty, honesty comes from Love, which comes from faith and trust in oneself.

3. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 5 years ago

..says what he means.. and means what he says..

1. Angela Nielsen profile image60
      Angela Nielsenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A man that can stand his responsibility and not walking away from it. And I may say its funny but for me I think the best example in this topic is "MANNY 'pacman' PACQIAO" a real man who doesn't walk away on a fight. :-)

4. The Recruitess profile image59
    The Recruitessposted 5 years ago

A man is someone I can truly depend on. He provides security and protection for me. When I think of a real man of honor I think of my husband. He's sheltered me as I've learned myself. He casts vision and empoweres me to help him make it come to fruition. A man is so amazing to me...and I'm honored to know so many real ones.

5. Cheeky Girl profile image84
    Cheeky Girlposted 5 years ago

In my experience of guys, a real man is one who keeps his promises. That is what it boiled down to for me. Honoring commitments. Showing the ability to do that is pure gold, in my opinion. And it is hard for lots of guys to keep promises. I had a boyfriend a few years ago who stayed up all night in a foreign country just so he could spend a mere five minutes to skype chat a happy birthday message to me and lift my spirits. He kept his promise, and I will always remember that. Love is a promise. Marriage is a promise too. Get the promises to work right and you are made; that's my story and I stand by it.

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
      Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
      If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
      But make allowance for their doubting too;
      If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
      Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
      Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
      And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
      If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
      If you can meet with triumph and disaster
      And treat those two imposters just the same;
      If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
      Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
      Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
      And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
      And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
      And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breath a word about your loss;
      If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
      To serve your turn long after they are gone,
      And so hold on when there is nothing in you
      Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
      Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
      If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
      If all men count with you, but none too much;
      If you can fill the unforgiving minute
      With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
      Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
      And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

1. 0
        Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Can I say better? -No!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
          couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I love that poem.  Yes, this is what it takes.

6. AskAshlie3433 profile image61
    AskAshlie3433posted 5 years ago

A man is there. Point blank. A man takes care of his family and does what he has to, to make a living. A man understands and listens, if only for a minute, he will. A man, takes care of his business. A man, a real man, loves you for you and only you. He is home when the others are out. He is home, watching the kids while you rest. He is home, because, he is a man who knows what he wants in life, Thus, he is a man.

7. Jaggedfrost profile image87
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

I think I have read Kipling's sentiments long the way but i'd almost forgotten, thank you.  To the others, is a man defined by women who wish to define men to meet their pleasure, needs, and ultimate desire for self gratification? This isn't to say that a man can't stoop to such things or shouldn't.  But It is no more tolerable then if we should start a thread where men described what it was to be a woman.  None of you who try to define manhood would stand for such a thing and call all the posters there misogynists.

8. Midnight Oil profile image90
    Midnight Oilposted 5 years ago

You are all looking for a true gentleman, but there is not many of us left.  Respect, honour, manners  and common curtsies takes a gentleman everywhere.  But we are not a weak wristed push over either.

Unfortunately, young males these don't want to learn, without realising its the key to everything.  They prefer to follow the masses and their yobbish ways - its uncool to be a gentleman these days.
    In fact, they totally misunderstand what being a gentleman is, and often dismiss it as being 'gay'.

Gay, we certainly are not, and we have the pick of all the best women, because a woman appreciates being in the company of gentleman.  We don't have to chase women, they chase us with a passion.

But, then again, most gentleman are alpha males...   

If you have young boys, train them to have  respect, honour, manners  and common curtsies, this will take them further than any university degree ever will.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

9. Jaggedfrost profile image87
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

lol I have on occasion been mislabeled as gay for that and other reasons so Midnight I think you have the right of it.  I am not adverting for myself though. I am very much taken.  I just think this subject should die if it is a gender witching subject.  Being a gentleman is the hight of everything.  You are right, our mores  are not popular but they open many doors.  I won't be dictated to nor hear my brothers who merely need a thwack to the head and an education bashed though by women who are generally on the disappointed side and perhaps even desperate side.  Perhaps that is the alpha male in me.   I married an alpha female and we fight often but oh the makeup scenes.  Thats life though.

10. 0
    Longhunterposted 5 years ago

Doing the right thing even when no one is around to see you do it.

11. Cheeky Girl profile image84
    Cheeky Girlposted 5 years ago

Oh wow, that Kipling quote just gets me right there. So wonderful. Thank you! big_smile

12. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago