Failed Marriages

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (33 posts)
  1. donnatru profile image78
    donnatruposted 13 years ago

If and individual has had three failed marriages wouldn't a fourth marriage seem insignifigant? How many times should people get married in a lifetime anyway? I think after a couple tries that is enough. I'm not judging anyone. Just curious about others opinions about this.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A very famous actress (and also famous for her many marriages) said she kept getting married because she's not someone who wants to "just live with" the guy.   I don't know...     If people get married, lots of time they actually think it will last forever.   Whether a fourth (or whatever) marriage would be insignificant or not probably just depends on the two people, the situations in their backgrounds, etc. etc.

According to statistics on a divorce site I researched for a Hub, second marriages are at higher risk of failing, and third marriages have - like - a 73% failure rate  I'm guessing that if someone isn't "marriage material" or "relationship material" the first time around, if they try second and third times they aren't particularly more "marriage material" or "relationship material" than they were to start out.    hmm  Maybe the real question is whether someone planning to get married yet again is someone who wasn't "relationship material" earlier, or whether it was his/her spouse who may not have been.

Some people just don't want to say they've had more than a spouse or two.  My mother was widowed at 23 (no kids) during WWII.  Later she married my father, had her family, and was widowed young (early fifties).  She said she "ruled out even thinking about getting married again" because she didn't want "to be like Elizabeth Taylor"   lol  lol  I think a lot of people would draw the line at one or two.   smile

2. Julie Logan profile image61
      Julie Loganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think if someone is happy getting married for the fourth, fifth or sixth time, well... more power to them.

However, I'm not going to shell out a lot of cash for an expensive gift or go out of my way to travel to one of these weddings. I have a cousin who just got married for the fifth time. I took time off from work, bought airline tickets and sprang for a nice gift for three of her weddings. I am done. She was angry that I didn't come to her latest wedding but I feel like she's being selfish. I can't afford to dedicate all of my travel budget to her because she likes getting married to someone new every other year.

That sounds a little harsh but I'm still a little upset over the temper tantrum she threw when I told her I couldn't make it.

1. CarolineVABC profile image69
        CarolineVABCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with you, Julie! Marriage is a "sacred ceremony" between two people and supposedly a commitment to each other for the rest of their lives, but when someone is getting married for the "fifth" time and expect to have a grand one every single time and all of their family and friends to support him/her, it's starting to sound like a joke, and the person should not expect a 100% participation from other people.  Probably a 'quick' marriage in Vegas might be more feasible for the fifth time???:-)

1. Lisa HW profile image63
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe this isn't a good comparison, and a parallel can't really be drawn; but there's kind of a "boy-who-cried-wolf" element to it when someone is getting married YET again (past, maybe, the second marriage).    smile  There's a point where (even if their fifth marriage is going to last forever) they really can't expect other people to take it all that seriously (or spend "big bucks" on it).   hmm   I know that may be "stinky" for them, but they really ought to understand...    hmm

Hello Lisa,

You do have a valid point here.  It's probably true that, sometimes, it takes several marriages before we actually find a relationship that works and yes, family and friends ought to understand and should be supportive of their friend and loved one.  On the other hand, sometimes, people can't help to wonder if it is really actually going to work out the third, fourth or fifth time? Especially, if they happen to be all "grand" weddings and people need to take time off, buy presents and most of all when they are asked to be a part of it, which can add to another expense.  Most of the time, people don't have the time or the money to spend on these type of things.  I guess, what I was trying to say is that people tend to think twice before attending a third, fourth or fifth wedding for the same person with certain exceptions (widowers or betrothed to someone else by their parents' choosing).  Of course, everyone is entitled to their own happiness, no matter how long it takes! Hope this clarifies everything? Thank you for stating your opinion, which was held in high regards.  Take care and God bless!:-)

2. CarolineVABC profile image69

Hello again Lisa!

I should also add that, sometimes, people are forced into marriages for certain reasons such as "marriages out of wed luck" or people getting married at a young age and then realizing years later that they have rushed into things and were not ready for marriage at the time or sometimes, people get married for convenience-a "convenience marriage".  Under these circumstances, people might want out of marriage and get married the second time around and hopefully, to someone whom they will would consider staying with forever:-).  I actually have known and am related to some people who got married the second time around and have been happily married themselves and have made a family together.  I guess, sometimes, it takes more than one time to find a person's "real" happiness or at least a relationship that works for them:-).

2. profile image56
        not white trashposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think you are perfectly sane in not wanting to go to your cousins 3rd, 4th, 5th interstate wedding.  I think that it is horrid the way the wedding industry is run and people expect wedding presents and people to give their time money and holiday time.  That said I had an interstate wedding, because everywhere we went everyone was going to be put out, so we went somewhere out of the way for everyone so no one could complain and only those who truly loved and supported us came, and those that couldn't I am not worried nor offended they couldn't come, as I'm sure those I couldn't invite due to trying to keep down numbers and costs would not hold a grudge against me for not sending an invite......... If I was on my 3rd man, in under 10 years, I wouldn't expect any friends to even turn up, it would be a joke.

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Julie, I agree with you. Your cousin throwing a temper tantrum when You didn't attend her fourth wedding doesn't sound good. This type of attitude could be one of the main reasons her previous marriages failed. From reading your post, it seems that she is angry when things doesn't go her way.

3. CarolineVABC profile image69

Sometimes, we are not all that fortunate when it comes to choosing our life long partners.  There are certain cultures who betrothed their children to someone else (by their parents' choosing) at a young age, even at birth.  So, it might be possible that some people could end up in a "loveless" marriage the first time, and who would want to get out of it and marry again to find a more meaningful and loving relationship.  Having said that, getting married for third, fourth or fifth time, in a matter of three to four years, might be another issue.  Evidently, something is not working and some issues should be confronted before making another life-long commitment.  Hope this helps!:-)

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Caroline, I agree. A person need to deal with major issues and not bring them into a new marriage.

Thank you for your support, Woman of Courage-it is greatly appreciated!:-)

4. TamCor profile image82
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All I can say is, sometimes the third time's a charm! lol

I was married as a teen--big mistake...nice guy, but I was not mature enough to realize that I really wasn't in love, just "in love with love", lol.  We were married for 2 years.

Second time, I was 21, and enjoying life to its max.  Met my ex, who seemed to be enjoying life the same way.  Problem was(I found out later) that marriage didn't necessarily mean commitment or maturity to him.  After two kids and seven years, we got divorced.

THEN...enter Tom...I was 29 and he was 33, and it was love at first sight.  We've been married for 22 1/2 years now, and it's been nothing but pure bliss, honestly.

Sometimes you just have to kiss more frogs than you intend to, when looking for that prince!  lol

5. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Speaking as a "married for the fourth time woman", I never doubted the significance of marriage. My 1st husband had several more children than I did while we were married. (He even ended up on the Jerry Springer show). My 2nd husband decided he was gay right about our 3rd annaversary. 3rd husband said "I do", but for ten years repeatedly committed "I don't". I am glad that I was able to heal and still believe in what marriage could be, for now I am happily married 5 years!
        Personally I believe people who are not honest about who they are - with themselves or their partner- are unable to live up to the committment. IMHO

h.a.borcich, Congratulations! smile You deserve true happiness.

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you were put through h-ll through no fault of your own.  It takes commitment from both people to make a good marriage, and sadly we can't always foresee nor control what the other person does before or after they take those vows.
        I'm glad you're now happily married, and I wish you continued comfort and happiness!  smile

6. quotations profile image87
      quotationsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, anyone who has this many failed marriages is either really bad at picking a spouse, or are themselves the cause of their marriage breakdowns. Anyone even considering a serial bride or groom like this should run in the opposite direction - no matter how good their intentions are, the marriage is almost certainly going to fail.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I think that someone who gets married again and again is a hopeless romantic. They are still looking for their prince or princess.

1. Julie2 profile image60
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree! smile

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

I've done it four times and ended it four times. There are lots of reasons for a marriage to end and you can't sit on the fence of the grass is always greener and judge because you don't know what happened in those four walls to decimate the marriage.

I did do a traditional ceremony with two of those after the first and the reason for that was because the men wanted them. I didn't care one way or the other. Again, extenuating circumstances and you can't judge.

The one that I did by flying off, well driving didn't work either as he decided he didn't want to raise kids(mine) after a year and a half into the vows.

It isn't necessarily about being marriage material or relationship material sometimes there are things going on that no one sees. There is a stigma attached to it though and while I would like to date and find someone to grow old with I don't see the point with so many out there having children who are still very young or who got caught cheating and are now out looking to "settle down" again.

I got burned really bad the last time and what few dates and they have been very few, I have had do not leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. So, for now I choose to remain single and won't cross that proverbial threshold again. That could change but as I grow older and more set in my ways it would make it really hard to mix someone elses idiosyncrasies in with mine.

So, don't judge unless you really know the story. Let them have their grand day if that is what they want and give them your blessings, you really don't know what they went through to get there.

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

People don't want to be lonely or live alone, in most cases. Some people just don't have it in them to live with one person for their entire life, and so they move on and look for someone else. Christianity frowns on this thinking strongly. However, there is a very distinct part of the population which verify that they are geared to multiple partners throughout their life, not just one.

I have a good friend who was adopted by a very monogamous, loving couple who were very devout believers and who had 8 kids, 5 of which were adopted. My friend spent most of his life beating himself up because he was obviously the black sheep. But when he found out his birth father's history, and that he was very much geared the same as his biological father, even though they did not meet until in his late 30's, it explained the genetic tendencies he inherited.

His life is not any less difficult, but at least he has some understanding about his nature, and he works with it to try to be an honorable man. He will never settle down with one partner, but he is an honorable man, just the same.

The reasons for divorce are always two-sided, not one. Only hearing one side and believing that's all there was to it, is a mistake. At least that's what I've learned. I'm divorced twice. My exes have their stories and they are not kind or good. But there is my side, and at this point it no longer matters because the reasons no longer exist. It's all in the past.

Whether or not I ever choose to marry again will not ever depend on what others may think, religious or otherwise. I will just do what I believe is best for me and those who are significant in my life. And I hope those who judge won't be too harsh.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

....yor a good guy Daniel....marry me....i'll bring the hoover this time, i promise!  big_smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol
        That's tempting, girl. But I don't think the Hoover would keep us together! But still, thanks!

5. donnatru profile image78
    donnatruposted 13 years ago

Thank you for your insights.  I asked for opionions on this topic of  failed marriages  so that maybe I wont judge myself as harsh.  I have tried marriage and failed three times. Poor judgement all 3 times. That's it!!enough is enough!

Now at 51 yrs I look at myself and wonder who in the heck is this old girl! , I'm also set in my ways and, have come to realize I will be going through the golden years alone. I would enjoy a companion to date and spend time with but slim chance that will happen.

Thank goodness for the kids and grandkids. They are the rock of my life!
    Thank goodness for hubpages. I have recently found a home here at hubpages where I feel comfortable with people!

lynne I'm giving you a hubbers hug!

Thank you again for the good comment.

6. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I cannot understand one thing, what century we are living in?
    Who can possibly force people into marriage now? Why marry at all, especially if you failed it 2-3 times already? Live together for couple of years and then decide if you really need it(the relationship) legally bonded. It's so simple. People just complicate things themselves. If a man or a woman does not love you any more - no legal paper will hold you together anyway, only add some misery. Indeed, as somebody said already, it is just desperate search for perpetual romance and kisses under the Moon. Life together is more simple and more complicated at the same time, and needs a lot more at the same time than just flowers, gifts and nice words. It needs support, understanding, tolerance and forgiveness, because we all have our bad moments.

1. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why exactly do you consider it a fail? I don't. I look at it as steps in life to learn who I was. It made me the person I am. I did the live before marriage thing each time after the first and guess what we thought we were ready to take that next big step and guess what it ended the same way.

In each incident both parties did something to cause the issue at hand. It wasn't that we failed, it was more about things changing in my case at least.

I personally see nothing wrong with anyone wanting the love and kisses under the moon no matter how many times they have been married. We all want to feel loved, needed, and have an everlasting place to rest at the end of the day with a partner who feels the same way. I love romance and all that goes with it including the flowers, candy and kisses under the moon. Who wouldn't want to feel that in their relationship? Yes, you have to take the good with the bad but for it to work both of you have to be on the same page. You can't have one trying to climb the corporate ladder and the other left behind to look after the kids. You can't have one dedicated to home and family and the other looking at every hot thing male or female that walks by and wishing how they were single.

In my particular state, it is not easy to get out of a marriage. We believe it is for the long haul here and they make you take counseling for six months to try and work it out. If after that period of time things haven't righted themselves, you may proceed with the divorce.

The institution of marriage is a very special thing no matter if you have done it once or a thousand times. Something made you decide that it was right this time. Something else could end that in a blink of an eye.

I didn't grow up in a broken home. It wasn't what I knew from my friends families. I never intended to break the homes I made, but you know what it happened and I grew and I learned. Like I said, I remain single by choice now. Do I like it? H*** no! I would love someone to snug up with at night, to dote on with little words of love and kisses and maybe someday like I said it will happen for me again, but until then I remain content to keep learning about myself and loving myself.

Beautiful post! smile

7. CarolineVABC profile image69
    CarolineVABCposted 13 years ago

Thank you, Woman of Courage, for your support.  God bless!:-)

8. BabaBooey profile image61
    BabaBooeyposted 13 years ago

Hey Divorce is the new Marriage

9. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I just divorced my 5th husband. For five years I worked as hard as I could to keep this sinking ship afloat, but I'm ridin' solo now and I'm just as happy as I can be. I've served my time and I no longer feel that I want to compromise or put myself and my needs on the back burner. I say, get married as often as you want to, but go into it with both eyes open and know when the time has come to let go.

10. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

My first marriage ended in divorce after 7 years and 1 day..( the seven year itch ) My present marriage has lasted almost 35 years..I am in my 60's now so even if this one does ever end I doubt I will get a chance for another stab at the marriage game !!

11. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Well, if it was legal for gays to get married, the divorce rate among them would be staggering. Which is why I am surprised that it is not made legal. Just let them know how much the lawyers would get in gay divorce settlements, and I'm sure they will lobby for change! One reason why I would never get married! At any rate, my current partner and I have been together for over 20 years. (But, if I thought I could divorce him I would! LOL!)

I have two cousins that had really bad marriages. One of them had his wife leave with another man without a word, and they divorced later. The other married a gold digger, who does nothing but marry men, have one or two children, and divorce for alimony and child support. She has 8 kids from 6 exhusbands, and gets well over $5,000 dollars a month in court ordered support. once the kids are old enough for the support to end, she dumps them on their father's laps without so much as a thankyou, or a goodbye. Total Bitch.

I do feel sorry for those people who marry for love, only to have to not work out. I met this very handsome sweet man who married a girl, only to find out that she was banging the best man at his wedding the night before they got married. The girl was a total slut. He knew it, but he married her anyways. I think their marriage lasted only a couple months, as she was sleeping around with pretty much everyone he knew. The only reason she married him, was because he was the only one that had a decent job. I felt really bad, because he really loved her.

If I thought I had a chance with him, I would have married him.

12. profile image51
    firstworldviews16posted 7 years ago

Revenge Your Ex

Each day hundreds of men and women seek revenge on their ex-mates for a
    variety of reasons, usually because they got dumped or where cheated on.
    Revenge comes in many ways. It typically starts by using social media to
    vent, and then escalates from there. Now sites like "Get Revenge On Your Ex"
    for a fee will help you get pay back or revenge.

So what is the best way to get revenge besides slashing her tires, posting
    nude photos of her and so on.

The best way according to the web site Right Choices 101 is to live your
    life well. This is true no matter who you are seeking revenge on. Coworkers,
    past bosses, bad friends or ex-lovers. Put your energy into succeeding and
    enjoying your life, not wasting your time, energy and resources on revenge
    that can end up costing you much more. Plus, when you seek revenge, you send
    them a massage that you have not gotten over the relationship. It's much
    better to show you are indifferent and don't care.

According to Kenneth Agee of A Foreign Affair, a service that specializes in
    helping men find young beautiful foreign women, "The best revenge is to date
    or marry a women 10 years younger than your ex. This will piss her off to no
    end. No woman ever wants to be replaced with a younger, more attractive
    woman. Just like a man never likes to get replaced by a guy who is wealthier
    or more successful.

I will never forget one of my first clients we took to Saint Petersburg,
    Russia." says Agee, "The client told me that two days on our tour was better
    than two years of therapy. Having hundreds of attractive women fighting over
    you gets your ex out of your mind pretty quick.

I personally went through break up when my ex ran off with another man. But
    a short time later, I met a new lady who was ten times better. I ran into
    that man who stole my ex and I gave him a big thanks. In fact, I could not
    thank him enough. He was stuck with an older nagging women, while I was now
    with a young, beautiful, caring women. Plus, my ex had gained about 100
    pounds. I don't look at that fellow as any kind of enemy but as the person
    who saved me from my ex and years of suffering." This is the best a revenge
    when you win without lowering yourself.

Other sites like "Get Over Her Now" give practical advice and tips for
    getting over a past relationship.

Top Tips from Get Over Her Now:

Start making platonic relationships with as many women as possible, old,
    young, skinny, fat, cute or ugly. This greatly helps you get back in the
    game of socializing with the opposite sex. And it opens up lots
    opportunities to meet their cute attractive friends in a more relaxed
    environment. This also helps you build your game and confidence.

Improve yourself, start working out, get up early every day and exercise.

Buy new clothes. Dressing better makes you feel better and improves your
    confidence.

Focus on work and getting a promotion or raise. Don't let a break up effect
    your work negatively. Put that extra effort into work and it will pay off
    with a better position and more money. This will also build your confidence
    and help attract better quality women.

Any time you are depressed, improving yourself helps greatly. When you feel
    depressed, don't sit and watch TV and then sleep-in late. Get out and do
    something that will make you feel like you've accomplished something. Take a
    class, go hiking, fix something you've been putting off.

Don't start drinking. Drinking will always have a negative impact on your
    life. Don't drink while depressed or when you are trying to get over some
    one. After all, drinking is for celebrating. So if you are not celebrating
    something, don't drink. A quality women is not going to be attracted to
    someone who drinks a lot or has a drinking problem.

Don't sleep in; sleeping late increases depression. Get up as early as you
    can and go for a walk, take a hike, or go to the Gym. Research shows getting
    up early and exercising can eliminate depression. You will have no game be
    depressed.

Don't binge eat. If you start gaining weight, you will feel less self-worth
    and lose your confidence. Confidence is a quality that women are extremely
    attracted to.

Conclusion, the best revenge is when you improve your life so well that she
    realizes she made a big mistake. And satisfaction comes when you meet
    someone so much better, you are glad the ex is gone. After all, if you are
    seeking revenge, how great could she really have been in the first place!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)