jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

To Love, Honor, and Obey

1. Libra Rajani profile image59
    Libra Rajaniposted 5 years ago

These are the vows most say at their wedding ceremony. However, many women and some men today want the word obey taken out.
    What are your views?

1. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think the world would be a lot better place if the men had to obey the women. Definatelty would be a lot safer world  to live in

1. 0
        Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

if we at least could listen to each other in marriage for starters!

2. 0
      Marzimeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If people are taking words out of a vow, it would make me question the idea of getting married to the other.

3. speedbird profile image65
      speedbirdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

To me it looks perfect..why do you want to get the word 'obey' out?

2. 0
    Muldanianposted 5 years ago

I didn't think the word obey was still used.  It seems very outdated.  The last time I heard that at a wedding was in 1981, when Charles and Diana married, and even then it was absurdly old fashioned.  Marriage is an equal partnership, and the idea that one partner has the right to command the other surely cannot be acceptable in the 21st century.

1. Walt Smith profile image60
      Walt Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I believe we should obey each other, why else make a gesture like marriage. I don't think it was intended to mean literally "obey" the other spouse, but when you join together you make a commitment to the other and become stronger as a couple who listens to each other...W