jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Is there such thing as being too honest?

1. 61
    FelineFranceposted 5 years ago

Is brutal honesty always the best way to go? Why or why not?

1. SheZoe profile image61
      SheZoeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

my view is that the truth without love is destructive. many many people justify being hateful, hurtful, offensive, inconsiderate etc. with "i'm brutally honest. like it or lump it". That's just someone who is too lazy to think about others feelings, or how to word things in a way that takes others feelings seriously. it is often purely a lack of respect. Compassion, the ability to see things from anothers point of view are things that show us that being brutally honest isn't really honest. it's just forcing our own views and perceptions onto another without regard for theirs. our own views and perceptions are not always true. a goal i am shooting for (sometimes with success and sometimes not) is to treat other people as sacred ground. Starting from that premise, i can find out how to be honest without being hurtful.

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Whether or not Honesty is brutal, will make no difference, if accepted for what it is about.

Many people ask questions? Many questions they do not want answers for, because they believe that they already have the answer.

Don't ask a question if you're unable to accept the answer.

People generally believe it is possible for someone to be civil mannered when dealing with others, for which, brutal speech isn't permitted or appears offensive or comes across as an insult.

In many aspects, and in many cases, this would be true and the higher ground to take. However, in many aspects and cases, brutal honesty must be applied, to ensure integrity of the spoken words.

If a person is damaged, either by pride or ego, then they should examine themselves for the reason why? Usually, honesty has the bite of truth and hurts like a....

1. Castlepaloma profile image25
      Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree,

I have been told I am too honest to a fault, I'm still working on a better diplomacy because of everyone ego anyways.

3. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 5 years ago

4. simonesays profile image60
    simonesaysposted 5 years ago

Honestly, honesty is never always the best policy. In most cases that is. We as humans lie each and every single day and am doubtful to find someone out there that doesn't.

Being brutally honest is just a add on for example
    ''if i'm being brutally honest the sex isn't great''

so ...

Being brutally honest is not the best way to go its jut extremly ruthless or cruel.

5. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Was talking to a stranger who said to me, that his uncle said to him, "The truth. What right have you got to tell me the truth?"