jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Why do some people lie about things like this?

1. 60
    FelineFranceposted 5 years ago

I became friends with his guy. I am still trying to figure out why he lied so much about everything from having heart problems to where he grew up to his parents dying, were all lies. I would sometimes be talking to him over the phone and it is obvious he is driving or in a car yet he would lie to me and tell me he was in his bedroom. I can understand the reason he lied about almost everything.

1. NateSean profile image84
      NateSeanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Psychological issues? There are whole lists of psychiatric disorders that describe your friend's behavior. And unless he wants help with them there's nothing you can do.

2. Ms.Wakeelah profile image73
      Ms.Wakeelahposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I knew somebody like that and it's very hard to deal with somebody like that. One thing's for sure, the lies won't stop.

3. May PL profile image87
      May PLposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He has issues...

4. Shannon Alexandra profile image59
      Shannon Alexandraposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It could be that this guy craves attention and is  insecure in his own life that he creates lies to cover up what is real, It sounds to me like he needs to see a counselor to work out his issues, being lied too is horrible but  I sometimes think we need to look at why that person has lied and is it malicious or do they just need help and support.

Again, pointing out that unless the guy wants help there's nothing she can do.

1. Shannon Alexandra profile image59
          Shannon Alexandraposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes you're right there is nothing she can do but I think it helps the person being lied to to understand this person may not be lying with malicious intent and that it is not personal to them.

5. daWanderer profile image60
      daWandererposted 5 years ago in reply to this

maybe he is just afraid to tell you the truth. ? make him feel more secure and comfortable. let him know all that bullshit dont even matter to you.

6. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is a known fact that most people in this world will lie before they will tell the truth.Sense there is more evil in this world than it is good,expect the negative first,the truth have to be forced out.

2. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 5 years ago

Sounds like a pathalogical liar, of the millionth kind.

That too.

3. recommend1 profile image72
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

It can be pathological but it can also be game playing where he is 'controlling' what you know etc to his make up stuff - some people with low esteem get a kick out of that, also it can be the limping dog syndrome, some people seem to need you to feel sorry for them so that they can do or say bad stuff and then play their I am ill card - there are many forum posters like that, it seems to mostly occur in the religious forums.

4. fucsia profile image60
    fucsiaposted 5 years ago

Surely this guy has a psychological problem. Have you tried to request an explanation from him? How does he react?
    Some time ago I knew a girl who had the same behavior.  I never knew if she realized of his lies or if he lived in a fantasy world. Her lies were meaningless, such as those that describe you.

5. Katharella profile image71
    Katharellaposted 5 years ago

Once I caught a person telling chronic lies, one after another. When I finally confronted this person on WHY tell me such a trivial lie! The response was; that he didn't feel he had any importance in life, and inadequate at everything, and by telling me these lies made him seem like a more interesting person. I think they actually end up believing their lies, so to them it's not a lie anymore. Sad.

6. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 5 years ago

fortunately you picked it off. Run like hell.