jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Does loving someone really means settling for less?

1. 59
    myrmaeposted 5 years ago

Or even compromising your own preferences and needs or even wants?

1. Y. Kajitaka profile image59
      Y. Kajitakaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think it does.  If it's preferences or needs, those things need to be worked through, especially the needs category.  If they can't fulfill your NEEDS, then they're not holding up their end of the relationship and it's bad for you.  At the same time, if it's a want, you can compromise a little- sometimes it does take bargaining, but that's okay.

Relationships are never easy.  Most people don't realize it, but my mom and dad barely get to talk, because they always just miss each other.  More than that, whenever my dad finally gets to projecting, he just picks up one of his own instead of doing one that mom NEEDS him to do.  It doesn't sound like a good partnership, right?  But at the same time, he spoils her for her birthday and Christmas, and more than paying attention to the anniversary of their marriage, he always seems to zoom in on the anniversary of when they started dating.  ^^  It just takes all types.

My recommendation is to find out what you can not, under any circumstances, compromise- if your partner can't meet these criteria, then I would say this may not be the relationship God is promising you.   At the same time, do you meet the points they can't compromise?  Compare notes and see.

2. Vala Faye profile image59
    Vala Fayeposted 5 years ago

No,it doesn't. But it does often give you a different perspective ,ime. I've found that what I idealized and thought I 'wanted', wasn't half as important as the stuff I didn't realize I needed wink

So when Love came knocking on my door, I did wonder if giving those ideals up were a compromise. It just didn't *feel* that way. In fact..I felt more at ease and fulfilled than I'd ever dreamed to be, even in my wildest dreams.

Is it all perfect? Hell no. Does he have his flaws? Hell yeah. But as annoying as those can be,they're what make him *him*. They're part of why I love him, as they're often not only infuriating but downright adorable and make me smile. They make him human. And thank god for that.

3. 60
    ShortStoryposted 5 years ago

Settling for less than what?