jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Women (and how they "see" themselves)

1. MsQuestion profile image84
    MsQuestionposted 5 years ago

Why do grown women (even those in their forties and fifties, like on the "Real Housewives shows)insist on referring to themselves as "girls" all the time?  do they think "woman" is a dirty word?

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hmm, they want to believe they are younger than they really are?

2. Jonathan Janco profile image81
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

Women usually refer to themselves as girls when they want to be viewed less seriously. Girl carries greater sex appeal than the word woman. It presents less of a threat to men. A girl is someone who laughs at your jokes, looks pretty, parties with you and your friends and gives you a big, wet kiss good night.
    A woman is someone who takes all of your favorite fashion fau pax's out of your dresser and secretly burns them while you're at a pool tournament because she's tired of you embarassing her in public.

1. the pink umbrella profile image72
      the pink umbrellaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

woah...hittin close to home? lol

3. kmackey32 profile image82
    kmackey32posted 5 years ago

I love me.....lol

4. shimmering Dawn profile image83
    shimmering Dawnposted 5 years ago

What about being young at heart smile lol

5. dingdondingdon profile image59
    dingdondingdonposted 5 years ago

Because our society fetishizes youth, especially in women. Being a "girl" carries connotations of attractiveness and sexual appeal, while "women" is more often used (outside of an official capacity) to imply someone is over the hill, or undesirable in some way.

6. 0
    just_curiousposted 5 years ago

I have to deal with this a lot at work. It's part and parcel to the whole package, which includes baby voices, getting 'offended' when men respond to their flirting, yada yada. It's insecurity. They have a need to remind themselves that they're still young and desirable. It would be nice if they could see themselves as more than a piece of meat but like they say, 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks'. (and before anyone gets offended, I'm in the same age group. So I can call it like I see it)

1. MsQuestion profile image84
      MsQuestionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is all very fascinating and enlightening.  So what I'm gathering is that to a LOT of people, woman IS sort of a dirty word (especially to that guy who answered up there.....) that's a shame, though.  MAN is not a dirty word, right?  Unless it's a dirty old man, but that's something different!  I mean the word MAN in general!  Why can't woman mean someone who is sexually mature, but in a GOOD way - and also someone who likes to flirt and party and give a big wet kiss, but just happens to be over the age of 21?  I guess it's society, like you say!  thanks for replying!  Or..keep replying..this is interesting!

1. 0
        just_curiousposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You noticed the man thing too? I found when I call a man a boy, after he's called me a girl, it never ends well. You're right though. Women should celebrate the fact that they are mature, experienced and wiser than they were. I'm sure  most men in the age group do too, on some levels, if they take the time to think.

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...i am one of those that prefers to be referred to as a woman and not a girl...i feel the same about using the word men and not boys....i find girl does not describe me...i'm not a girl - i was.....

...sometimes I may joke around and say gurrrl - but that's when i'm teasing - otherwise I'm a woman....roooooaaaarrrr!

...and if I run into the word girl/boy in my work environment i correct it...unless of course someone is a girl/boy.

8. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Give us a break, girls! Who wants to be an old woman? Really.
    Old girl sounds ... better?