jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Married couples in less than half of US households

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Data released Thursday by the U.S. Census Bureau shows married couples have found themselves in a new position: They're no longer the majority.

It's a trend that's been creeping along for decades, but in the 2010 Census, married couples represent 48 percent of all households. That's down from 52 percent in the last Census and, for the first time in U.S. history, puts households led by married couples as a plurality.

The flip in the 2010 Census happened in 32 states. In another seven states, less than 51 percent of households were helmed by married couples.

The reason, said Portland State University demographer Charles Rynerson, is twofold: The fast-growing older population is more likely to be divorced or widowed later in life, and 20-somethings are putting off their nuptials for longer stretches.

"People in their 20s are postponing marriage for many reasons, including money," Rynerson said. "We also have an aging population, so there's more people living alone."

Fears of not being able to hang onto a job, a widening labor market for women and a shift away from having kids at a young age have all proved to be a disincentive for people in their 20s and early 30s to join the ranks of the married.

read the entire article..
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110528/ap_ … n_marriage

is anyone surprised by this trend? hmm

1. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm not surprised by the trend, but may be a little disappointed.  I wonder how man more years until marriage is obsolete altogether.   Living together, having children together without marriage is common place it seems.  I'm feeling very old, and old-fashioned.

2. bgamall profile image87
      bgamallposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In between was a housing ponzi lending scam that killed mainstreet and robbed trillions of dollars of wealth for the banksters who caused it. Add to that every market and commodity manipulated to cause mainstreet to pay in excess and you have family failure as a likely scenario.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I've lived with two woman all my adult life.
    I never been married. Don't believe in it.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Some of us aren't 'putting off' nuptials, we don't plan to have any.  Across recorded history about 10-20% of females never marry.  The only difference is that how we can have our own domicile.

For those seeing this as being bad for marriage, recent data also shows marriages are more committed and lasting longer than those of a few decades ago.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

of course there have and always will be, illegally "married" couples...

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

I believe in that trend and I also believe that we are following a European trend of demographic transition.

6. 0
    Muldanianmanposted 5 years ago

I am surprised at this statistic.  I know in Britain this has been the situation for many years, with 75% of children born to either unmarried couples or single mothers, but it would show that America will soon be catching us up.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Many of you seem to be assuming that households are made up of only married and unmarried couples. What about students, singles, other relatives, communes, nunneries, etc etc. Households are not just places to make babies.

8. puddingicecream profile image81
    puddingicecreamposted 5 years ago

Some people are in a domestic relationship but never get married. Besides, with such a high divorce rate, it might be smarter that way.

9. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

This is actually quite funny.

It makes no difference at all, simply because there are not as many people living in a household(apartment or house) as there was.

Homelessness continues to rise, which also breaks up families and marriages.

However, it is a prime example of the level of distortion happening within America's society as a whole. hmm