jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Are Agnostics and Atheists More Likely To Get Divorced?

1. thaivalentine profile image59
    thaivalentineposted 5 years ago

How do you think the divorce rate among those considered religious versus those who are agnostics or atheists would compare?

2. Daniel Carter profile image91
    Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago

Christians and other very religious people have the highest rate of divorce.

You may want to read these links:

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistfami … ivorce.htm

Religion is always divisive. That's my conclusion.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

in Canada...the change in divorce rates was as a result of changes in legislation.  It was difficult to get a divorce 20 some odd years ago (or could be 30 now) - the reason had to be proven e.g. abusive relationships; adultery...it's not necessary now to prove that a spouse is abusive or has committed adultery luckily.  Many women were basically forced to stay in terrible marriages - not now - however abusive relationships still exist.  Whether or not religion has anything to do with it - i don't know and don't really care - my thoughts on this are based on laws for all Canadians.

4. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I find this thread to be meaningless, simply due to the fact that religion shouldn't be a topic on the same topic as divorce.

Religion has nothing to do with whether or not, divorces happen. Hence, is meaningless.

People marry because of love and if it's not the reason they married to begin with, then both were only deceiving themselves and fooling the other.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

There is data on this subject, I suggest Googling for it.  I predict that the results will surprise you.

1. Castlepaloma profile image25
      Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

From the different  data I have looked at, the divorces come out close to the same.