jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

How do you say goodbye when a relationship has run it's course ?

1. twilanelson profile image61
    twilanelsonposted 5 years ago

When a relationship has run it's course and is at a dead end, how do you say goodbye with the least amount of pain and anxiety, for children and all involved ?  What defense mechanisms can be used to protect someone emotionally and allow them to say goodbye to a long term relationship ?  What type of precautions and preparation can be used to execute this type of breakup, helping everyone through this transition in a positive and healthy manner ?

1. thighhighchick profile image59
      thighhighchickposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you worry about others you will stay in bad relationships. How do you think the children feel about you fighting all the time? My parents are divorced and although I have issues I dont think them splitting up made me the way I am. They get along now and can even be in the same room without all the yelling that used to go on in the house

2. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How about a simple goodbye and walk away and not look back.

3. 0
      dixie28714posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think everyone has only so much they can take, so until you are at that point, no matter how they hurt or do you wrong stay put!! Because breaking up and getting back together over and over only causes more problems and hurt.  Now once you have "had enough" and it is over for good, you have to be strong, accept it for what it is, and let go.  Yes do not look back as hard as that is, but years from now you will be thankful you did!! Some relationships just wont work no matter how much love or how hard you try!! Love has to be a 2 way street and never forget that smile Good Luck!!

4. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just say "Thank you for the memories, take care".

2. pajamazzon profile image60
    pajamazzonposted 5 years ago

There's nothing you can do but just do what you think is right, why would you stay in a relationship where there's no mutual respect? I have done the same thing too, i left him because no matter what we do, we'd be showing the kids a bad example. There's no easy way out..just say goodbye..

3. Festus D'Prince profile image61
    Festus D'Princeposted 5 years ago

once you dont feel safe in the relationship again...just hop out before you engage in another fight with your spouse.