5 Things You Look For Most In A Person to Date/Marry/etc

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (41 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

1) Same spiritual beliefs or close

2) Same lifestyle (social, active, )

3) Looks

4) Personality

5) Financially stable

-----------------What are yours?

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1. How does he treat his mother?(can't be a momma's boy, but he has to love and show concern for the women in his family)

2. Does he have a job or at least an honest desire to get hired?

3. Is he open minded and gives others the benefit of the doubt?

4. Is his personality compatible with mine? (He doesn't need to like the same things I do, but he must respect my space and allow room for me to do the things I like)

5. Respectful and Loyal - Sorry on this one, but I am a LEO. I like to get all of my man's attention. If his eyes are running at the sight of another passing miniskirt, I get turned off. wink

1. uczen profile image60
        uczenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pretty a lot of requirements...

I`m just kidding:)

I like your points the most.   

Anyway, you always get in life what you believe in.

All the best and... take care.

2. your cybersister profile image61
      your cybersisterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My top five things would be:

1. He needs to have a good personality - a terrific sense of humor and     
           the ability to laugh at himself is a must.

2.  He needs to love life and look forward to all the things it has to offer -
           ideally he'll want to share those things with me.

3.  He needs to be reasonably intelligent - I want someone I can actually
            engage in meaningful conversations.

4.  He needs to have a genuine smile - one that reaches his eyes.

5.  He needs to have great eyes, as eyes are the mirror of the soul.  I
            need to be able to read his emotions in his eyes and know that he is
           "there", not just a shell of a person.

1. your cybersister profile image61
        your cybersisterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I was trying to reply to schoolgirlforreal and lined up wrong.  I did like your top five though...

3. Emmyboy profile image80
      Emmyboyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As for me,

if

1. high brainpower/ high level of intelligence checked.

2. very warm sense of humor checked.

3. Adventurous and open minded or freethinking checked.

4.Not Clingy, not overtly, jealous and/or possessive and very understanding, checked.

5. Sexy & highly creative in bed and finance, very imaginative and ability to reason logically checked.

Next, Marriage till death do us part!

schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can do 1,2,3, and 5 LOL lol But I get jealous for sure smile

1. Emmyboy profile image80
          Emmyboyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

if you can do No.5 perfectly well, then we can actually neglect the jealous part especially if you are getting jealous for the real reasons and not out of suspicions or external suggestions. But I am afraid, I can't compromise on No.2 and No.1 and most especially No.3. So are you ready?

2. cydro profile image78
    cydroposted 12 years ago

1.  Looks- shallow I know, but c'mon...that's the first thing you judge a person on.

2.  Fun personality- Can she make me laugh?  If not, can she have a good time?

3.  Trustworthy-  All women look at other guys and whatnot.  I'll be completely fair unless there's hard evidence she's not being honest with me.  Certain things just will cause me to want her out the door immediately.

4.  Can be decisive- I can be decisive myself, but I don't want to have to be decisive all of the time.  Common problem with shy girls haha.

5.  Active-  Wants to try new things.  Wants to go out.  Likes to socialize with a group and with my friends.  Someone who will do just about anything with you (don't take that the wrong way)

Luckily, I have found a girl that is all of these things...ok maybe not all that decisive (it's cute though).  And our 1 year anniversary is today!

1. Lisa HW profile image64
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In fairness to "shy girls", I think you misunderstand the many different types of shyness a person can have.   There is such a thing as strong, decisive, and even confident person who has some shyness of one sort or another.  There are also a lot of people who have some types of shyness but nobody would really guess it in most circumstances.  I know that's not what this thread is about; but as a person who has always had a little "peripheral" shyness (and doesn't have a lot of patience for the indecisiveness of a lot of other people, I needed to clear that up.   lol  )

As for what I'd look for in someone:  Kindness and respect for other people and animals.  (The person I married won me over when I saw he was someone who "brakes for toads".)  The person would have to be (old fashioned as this is going seem) a gentleman too.  Loud-mouthed, macho, goons are for someone else, as far as I'm concerned.  So is being over-confident.

schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I totally get the shy part you explained wink

2. profile image0

Congratulations!

1. Lisa HW profile image64

If that "congratulations" was for me...    No, congratulations.  After I married someone who met all those "lofty" qualifications?   Divorced!!    lol  lol  Now I'm kind of wondering if loud-mouthed goons and no strings attached may not be the way to go.   smile

3. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

1. Similar spiritual views
    2. Active and outdoorsy (minimally, she must love going for walks or bike rides)
    3. Forgiving nature but not a doormat
    4. Takes intimacy seriously/emotionally (not completely flesh obsessed)
    5. If she can sit with me and watch Doctor Who for eight hrs straight, then the first four are negotiable.

4. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 12 years ago

The most important thing is time. But you wanted five things so it would be time X 5. By this I mean that making a hasty decision could destroy your life. So get to know the other person well. Start out as friends and maybe group date at first. Over two years or more you'll have the answers to most questions. This is especially important for young people as their personalities, emotions, and world view change -- and often. And don't forget about life-altering mishaps. She might enjoy long hikes and bicycling, but what if she suddenly becomes permanently disabled? However "love" is defined, it can be sorely tested at times.

1. profile image0

...or what if she suddenly develops a Scifi phobia and can't continue watching Dr. Who?

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Huh? I suppose you directed that at me?
        Well, if she gets sick of Doctor Who, then I hope I didn't take a bath on the other four.
        I mean, there are like 27 seasons to get through.
        Of course, if that runs its course, there's always Twin Peaks.

1. profile image0

LOL

2 7  S E A S O N S !!!

Sounds like All My Children soap opera! Geeeeeez!!! roll

Tell me more about the bath and the twin peaks. wink LOL

The bath is just a metaphor. You know like when you take a bath on an investment.

Twin Peaks was a serial drama created by David Lynch and Mark Frost and was on for about three seasons. It dealt with the paranormal, spirit possession, dream prophecy and interdimensional reality. It started with the FBI arriving in a small logging town in Northern Washington to investigate the murder of a high school girl and then went totally bizarre after about two episodes.
            In other words, one of my all time faves.

And as for Doctor Who, if you like the first episode, you'll love the next couple hundred.

1. profile image0

I used to watch it.

You used to watch Twin Peaks? So why'd you ask about it? I figured you mustve since we're bout the same age and we both take an interest in that sort of thing. Or was that like a popquiz?
                btw, if u check out DrWho, go for the episodes from the 60's and early 70's first. The writing is so much better.

1. profile image0

@ Jonathan,  When you were watching Twin Peaks in 1990 I was just getting off the airplane and was too busy trying to learn English and trying to fit in high school.
                  What I meant to say was that I started watching Dr. Who as an adult and I liked it. I had to give it up so that I could have more time to read and write. I've struggled with the language barrier since I moved here at the age of 15 in 1990. I've lived here longer than I lived in Cuba, and I know both languages halfway. It's weird not having a dominant language, but I try. I read a lot (in English and Spanish) and most English-speaking people think I was born in the US because I don't have an accent (most of the time). I've been told that I have an unusual way of modulating my voice that makes a Cuban scratch his head and wonder if I'm Cuban at all. Maybe because I'm not the loud, total flirt (hard to chew that one, but yes!)stereotype of a Cuban woman? I don't know.
                  Either way, I was joking with you on the bath... I was trying to spark the conversation (twin peaks? bath?) but it went right above your head! lol I was just messing with you. wink

@Lisa, The congratulations were for cydro, although I did compliment you on your 99 hubscore.

Jeez, Klara, I never wouldve guessed. You certainly write in English very well. And your hubs are impressive, but especially now. And yeah that went right over my head. Innocent boys like don't catch that kind of innuendo;-)

2. Lisa HW profile image64

Oopsie.  I didn't notice the "5-Things thing".   hmm   Guess I was reading too carelessly.   hmm   Moral to the story:  Don't come to the forums because you're trying to get your mind off something that's worrying you.   hmm

1. profile image0

Lisa, nothing can make you worried when you have a 99 hubscore! smile

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Cash
    Twin Peaks
    Cash
    Sexy
    Funny

1. profile image0

Well, you surely are a meat and potatoes kind of guy!

1. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was just tongue in..........ah..........cheek! smile

1. profile image0

roll

6. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

wow I was just guessing that Doctor Who was on for 27 years. Just looked it up on wiki, turns out I got it smack on the nose.

7. pajamazzon profile image61
    pajamazzonposted 12 years ago

1. A gentleman

2. who has a good laugh

3. Who has a nice smile

4. Who has a good job

5. Family oriented guy

8. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

Nice answers, stuff to think about big_smile

9. profile image52
    My neck is redposted 12 years ago

Looks, looks, and looks. how can you look past whether or not someone is attractive.

-my opinion-

10. 4tune profile image60
    4tuneposted 12 years ago

#1. ) Available - meaning NOT married already, running around on someone, into drugs, and or alcohol and is emotionally available. (Good Luck finding this guy.)

#2.) Passionate and Just, has great morals and values.

#3.) Forgiving ( Has to be this because I'm a total basket case sometimes just for the fact I am woman. )

#4.) Gentle and non-abusive in nature, Has strong protective instincts.

#5.)Really really LIKES me as a person and is great friend.

11. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 12 years ago

similar beliefs

financially responsible

A friend with similar lifestyles

positive and happy personality

fair, loving & understanding

12. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

great sex...lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)