jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Women pastors / preachers?

1. Obscure_Treasures profile image59
    Obscure_Treasuresposted 5 years ago

What does the Bible say about women in ministry?

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

Don't know but the only preacher to ever inspire anything in me was a woman preacher, I don't think I will ever forget her. Lou was an amazing woman and loved that I was full of questions, not all of which she could actually answer. She is the only religious type person I have ever met who actually encouraged free thinking, constant questioning and not settling for anything that doesn't adequately answer your questions. Oddly her husband (also a preacher) was dull as dishwater. Week after week when it was his turn to do the sermon only the most dedicated church members showed up for services.

My question to this original question is, why should it matter that much what the bible says? You can interpret that book to support whatever you want it to support. As the saying goes, even the Devil can quote scripture when it suits his purpose wink

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

The bible seems to mostly simply ignore women as sub class citicizens, at least partially as a result of the highly male oriented society that compiled the bible.

Certainly the church until just recently would never allow a woman to preach.

4. 60
    kejeweposted 5 years ago

It amazes me that we as Christians only want to apply parts of God's word that is contrary to what we were taught or believe. Should women be allowed to preach, YES, by all means necessary who are we to condemn someone male or female when they say God has called them to preach. Now, on another note should women be Pastor's, absolutely NOT. If people would actually read their Bible and pay attention to the qualifications set forth of a Pastor then they would see the term "HE" is used quite often. Now many of you may say well that was just Paul talking, but wasn't Paul inspired by the Holy Spirit which comes from God. So do I believe women should preach by all means but being a Pastor is totally different. God left men in charge how can a women rule over men in anything. I mean refer to women like Deborah and many others in the Bible that did great works in the church but none of them held the title Pastor.

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Of course women can be preachers and pastors. What has our sex got to do with one's ability to study, formualte ideas, present, lead, and care for people.

The organised Church can hardly stand as a virtuous representation of God with its history of murder, suppression, assimilating paganism, and inventing man made doctrines.

Paul was speaking from his cultural framework where women had lower status which is hardly relevant today. But the career structure oriented Church would rather keeps its manmade traditions.

Everyone in the Church thinks they are inspired by the Holy Spirit whenever an idea pops in their heads that they hadn't considered before; Paul would have been no different.

Besides which unlike the Hebrew scriptures the NT never makes any claim of itself that it is scripture; the Church decided by committee it was when they deleted the writings that didn't fit its doctrines.

Go for it girls.