jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)

Will 'divorce rings' catch on?

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

By Chiara Atik
    Imagine: a man bent on one knee, gazing up into the eyes of a teary-eyed woman. He takes out a velvet jewelry box, opens it, and she gasps. Inside is a diamond ring in the shape of a broken heart.
    "Darling... will you divorce me?"
    This backwards scenario may not be as implausible as you think: Alice Kwartler Antiques is now selling an 18-karat gold and diamond "divorce ring", complete with a solitaire and jagged broken heart. At $3,200, the ring might cost more than many people's wedding bands, but rather than a symbol of eternal love and commitment, this one's a symbol of "things didn't quite work out."
    http://thelook.today.com/_news/2011/09/ … ?gt1=43001
    well now an amicable divorce ring is being touted as the next best alternative..will this gesture smooth over hurt feelings and lessen the demands of alimony? ..I think not

1. janikon profile image88
      janikonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I really do NOT understand the need for a 'divorce' ring - what an inane concept. Does the person get down on one knee and present the ring to his/her spouse? How horrible.

1. EmpressFelicity profile image82
        EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, you roll it up in a restraining order and deliver it via your lawyer lol lol

I would imagine that most people find the emotional and financial aftermath of divorce so unpleasant that buying a ring to "celebrate" it is the last thing on their minds. But whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

2. kallini2010 profile image90
      kallini2010posted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is no need.  Why everything should be such a cliche?  I have a divorce ring, which I bought myself for myself for my own reasons and enjoyment.  If the wedding was such a joyous event (stressful more like) and divorce was so stressful (a release from something that did not work, there is a sense of joy in it).  But that is not the point.  Not every divorcee NEEDS such a ring, not every bride HAS to wear white.  After all, white has lost its meaning - who is so innocent?  Are we virgins being transferred by our fathers to our husbands?  But the power of the CLICHE and TRADITION is amazing.

Jewelry should be meaningful to each person not to the whole world.

EVERYBODY (?) agrees, everybody decided t agree to see the divinity in a cross.  I see in it - a torture device.  We have to adjust our visions and thinking.

He gets on one knee...  He rides a white horse...  He sings a serenade...

I do have a divorce ring which I cannot wear on my designated middle finger because I lost weight and no, I don't hate my ex.  I love the ring.  But I have my "I am married to the Universe ring" and I would not care if EVERYBODY would join the trend or I would stand alone on that issue.

Because I cannot stand on any issues (tissues, maybe), but not issues.  It does not matter whether the Universe reciprocates my feelings or not, because without me it would do just fine, without the Universe - I would die.  So, our contract is until I die ...  and I am not telling how the ring looks like.  It can look like.  Just Anything.  My choice.

Toast to the creative thinking.

I know that most people love to be in the majority, so I may "celebrate myself and sing myself alone".  (As Walt Whitman so eloquently put it).  Fine by me.

2. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago

Good grief.  What will they think of next?!

3. Jonathan Janco profile image81
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

I've seen some twisted stuff before but . . .
    So now us single guys are not just looking for a ring, but which type of ring?
    Nothing like escalating the already ugly materialism that is tainting the very concept of marriage.

4. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 5 years ago

Ouch. I don't wear my wedding band or engagement ring because I don't even want to be reminded that I was married. Why would I get a divorce ring? Pretty morbid and strange idea.

Thanks for sharing. smile

5. lockgirl profile image60
    lockgirlposted 5 years ago

I wanted to take my first set of weeding ring/engagement ring and have a divorce ring made out of it but I ended up selling it. Now I have my mother in laws ring set and I think I would be shot if I altered it in any way.

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

My faith in the advertising industry is completely shattered!
    This obviously means that.....

a diamond.....

NOT forever!!! sad

7. jcmayer777 profile image78
    jcmayer777posted 5 years ago

I could see it.

Me and my ex-wife have a great relationship following the ending of our 16 year marriage.  We split amicably and still do lots of stuff together with our children.  We are much better off as friends than a married couple.  Neither of us are very material driven people, so a ring wouldn't be quite right, but if we were material people, it might have been something to consider.

8. OutWest profile image59
    OutWestposted 5 years ago

I always thought if you wear your wedding ring on the right hand instead of the left it signifies you are divorced.

9. lockgirl profile image60
    lockgirlposted 5 years ago

I haven't worn my wedding ring since August 7th 2008 and my finger still has the imprint of the ring and it wasn't even tight on my finger

10. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

If divorce rings catch on, I'll be able to open my own jewelry store.

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
      Mighty Momposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good thinking! And just think how well your jewelry store will do when gays are allowed to marry in every state! More marriages = more divorces!
      Yay divorce rings!!!

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
      Mighty Momposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh wait. I think I misinterpreted your post, Disturbia.
      You were talking personal experience here, right?
      roll the mind is a terrible thing to waste!

11. moncrieff profile image81
    moncrieffposted 5 years ago

Why would one invest money into someone who they are going to leave? Not to mention upcoming divorce costs.
    Unless, you make $100k or more a year, then it's another whim.

12. Chatkath profile image87
    Chatkathposted 5 years ago

I agree - what is the significance of a divorce "ring" unless someone needs to remind themselves - or someone else - that they are divorced. It is unfortunate that if a couple has truly decided to go their separate ways that one chooses to wear a ring, signifying to me that there is still a certain amount of energy being spent on this particular union that did not work. Why not move on and spend that precious time, money and energy on something that you want to develop and grow, whether it is an herb garden or a new guy named Herb??