jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Why do you think people settle for less in relationships?

1. Jcroichy profile image59
    Jcroichyposted 5 years ago

I wrote a hub on people staying in unhealthy relationships, which includes my list of 5 reasons. Personally, I think there are psychological reasons, but what do you think?

1. KevinC9998 profile image79
      KevinC9998posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi, unfortunately someties it has to do with a person having low self esteem. But as we already know, it is usually very complicated.

2. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

many people stay or remain in unhealthy relationships due to upbringing..they cannot recognize an unhealthy relationship because it's normal for them..having abuse and dysfunctional families is a way of life some generations of families

3. Maralexa profile image87
    Maralexaposted 5 years ago

many people stay in abusive (especially emotionally abusive) relationships because they fear being on their own or without a significant other.  They may not have developed a strong enough sense of who they are and rely heavily on 'the other person' to define them and their lifestyle.  It's hard enough to find what you believe is a good relationship to walk away from it because it is abusive.

Also, many people don't see that their relationship IS abusive.  To them it's either normal or they have been taught not to walk away just because someone calls you names.  That sort of thing.

And, if you have fallen in love with someone who now treats you in an abusive way, you may think it's just a stage they are going through (they are overworked, or something) and they really really down deep love them.  It's hard to face the fact that an abusive relationship may have been just under the surface to begin with.

Welcome to HubPages!

4. IntimatEvolution profile image82
    IntimatEvolutionposted 5 years ago

I think people settle for less because they are afraid to be alone.

5. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Fear, desperation, self-esteem issues, self-confidence problems and other issues.