What is love?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PhenomWriterposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5753393_f248.jpg
    Is there any love on this picture? Or love is when a man and a woman would kiss each other? What, truly, is love?   ...I am very curious...

1. uncorrectedvision profile image59
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What an amazing image of the deep and meaningful relationship we have with humanities oldest companion.  We love them and they love us.  Is it the same love as we feel for our spouse or our child,  I don't think so.  That having been said,  I recently lost a dog to a tragic accident and I miss her all the time.  The best way to get over that loss is to get  another dog.  That is a fundamental difference, one does not get a new child to fill the space left behind.

1. profile image0
        PhenomWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great reply!

Is it because that human beings have more unique consciousness? Is it that because humans have the gift of language?

-What if a cat or a dog could speak? --Could we forget them had we lost them?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure you could describe it as the gift of language or unique consciousness. Maybe the love we share with our pets is a bit less complex. They are loyal, we love them for it, they offer something that we cannot claim with certainty we will receive from a fellow man. Our relationships with animals are at the most basic level, yet superior. They trust us implicitly, so we protect them.

1. profile image0

[b"], they offer something that we cannot claim with certainty we will receive from a fellow man."[/b]

...Living beings, only except this animal called Man, knows fully the language of God. They do not speculate where it should not be. There is a difference. No living being, except man, commits suicide...

2. brandasaur profile image60
        brandasaurposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wonderful image! touched my heart and made me smile. for me, love is a feeling - may it be for a person, animal or thing. It could be destructive, it can heal, it can destruct you, it can inspire you, it can keep you going. It is not automatically needs to be ROMANCE when u say love! It can be love for your mother, pet or flower! smile

1. uncorrectedvision profile image59
          uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Erich Fromm said love is a choice.  I think that is a fair description.  The Greeks had words for many different kinds of love.  Love for a friend, for ones country, ones self, etc....  Our contemporary culture has scoffed at and reduced all other kinds of loving and elevated the romantic and the sexual.  This is insufficient to describe the love between friends or the love of master and pet.

I have loved my dogs and will miss Sandy.  I adopted Hank from the animal shelter and he is an awesome little dog.

1. profile image0

"the love of master and pet."

-No one can master a living being unless it lets us do so. Even a friend can let you master him. Not much difference.

I agree with the first part here.

2. profile image0

You spoke for me brandasaur smile

2. profile image0
    PhenomWriterposted 12 years ago

"Is it the same love as we feel for our spouse or our child,"

-That's blood relation.

"The best way to get over that loss is to get  another dog."

-The best way to get over the loss of a human friend is to get another friend.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Cool picture! smile And, I'll leave it at that. smile

4. leebone profile image60
    leeboneposted 12 years ago

Love covers such a wide array of topics, perspectives, and issues that it is practically impossible to come up with a single compact definition or description of love.

5. Zabbella profile image75
    Zabbellaposted 12 years ago

Love is that warm fuzzy feeling you get deep down inside
    ~~and your heart goes aflutter at the sight of your first grandchild being born..
    ``and then they hand her to you,
    ``and you sing the first lullaby
    ``and for years sing that same song to her
    ``and it becomes YOUR song together
    ``and when she begins singing it WITH you...that, is LOVE.

Before that, I did not really know love.

6. LookingForWalden profile image61
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

There is no love like that of a parent for their children. It even eclipses the children's love of their own parents.

7. profile image0
    GirgisAgeebposted 12 years ago

Love is the most valuable thing in the world lets talk about general love first love between friends and love between a person and his dog as i saw this fantastic photo it is real so nice one wink

and going to love between man and woman it is some thing my hand couldn't write any thing about it but i will try it is some thing like being one not 2 feel each others support each others and be together in every thing bad before good it is some thing that makes my body shaking when iam thinking about true love woowowowowowowowowowowowo i mad hubs about love and relationships but i still can't write what i real feel when we are talking about love smile really wowoowowowowow

8. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

"Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me....no mo!"

9. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

Love is the driving force of the human spirit.  It is the one and only thing that cannot be explained in human words.  It is the penultimate level of all of existence, the highest plane of conciousness. One cannot know it until one knows it.

In other words, who feels it, knows it. It is everywhere.

10. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

animals tend to act on instinct.... don't they?????

Love what is it????? really good question.  Love for my children is a wonderful thing ..........  Love changes as we learn more in life, i feel

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)