jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Women

1. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 5 years ago

Here is a short video that is so effective and carries such truth I feel the need to share it everywhere I can.  I hope you will watch and share it too.  There is hope when our daughters create like this.

http://front.moveon.org/it-only-takes-a … M.facebook

“Women are half the world’s population, yet they do two-thirds of the world’s work, earn one-tenth of the world’s income, and own less than one per cent of the world’s property.” (Source: World Bank)

and what do you think?  Can we change the status of women world wide?  We pretty much stopped smoking in public in about 20 years or less - so its entirely possible that within one generation or so we could eliminate women's subjugation!

1. calpol25 profile image77
      calpol25posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Lets start a protest for women smile

2. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 5 years ago

we can protest - and we do (when you see any protest going on women are very present becuz we recognize that we need to make changes in the infra-structure in order to change the way women are treated)  but the best we can do is teach our daughters how to live, earn, and gather respect.

My mother had three daughters and I think she did a good job with the little that was given her.  I have her to thank for my interest in the world, for my heart, and creativity.  She gave me so much of her time, and I appreciate it.  But I realize that if attitudes had been different she would have been rich in every way!

3. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 5 years ago

oh, and I just told an older male friend of mine (in his 80s) about this video and the alarming statistics about women in the world and he turned away!  he literally turned away!  As soon as he heard the words he looked pained and turned his chair around.  He had nothing to say.  I realize that most of my male friends of all ages are going to feel the same, that women are "complainers", even if they are not as obvious about it as he was.

Its true chauvinists are everywhere, Britain is full of them infact this country is famous for creating the chauvinistic ideals. I hate chauvinism its just we live in a new age do we still need the victorian ideals? Er noooo!!! New age - New Start equality for all........ smile

4. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 5 years ago

I live for the day when every girl all over the world will not believe the stories we tell about the "old days" of women's subjugation.  I was a bit shocked myself when I was young to learn these statistics, and they haven't improved in 4 decades - so wtf is going on?  I believe we are so subject to the whims of men, and so busy trying to get through our daily lives, we seldom realize that these same statistics have been truth since the 60's (and worse before then)

Its disgusting to think how women have been oppressed over the centuries by men, and even how men managed to get that sort of power to oppress women is by far strange?

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

sometimes I think that in a way it's our own fault - with our superior intelligence we tried to arrange it so that we would have all the power and yet men would look so good, they would bring home the bacon and not ask any questions. In return, we constantly told them how wonderful they were. But then we started believing, ourselves, the myths about men we had created.  Now we are trapped and still doing 66% of the work so our plan failed.  Time to come up with a new plan.

Good idea start again and take charge smile

5. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 5 years ago

I guess it may be the wrong time of year to start a discussion like this.  Seems nobody wants to discuss the plight of women - we're too busy shopping, which is somehow ironic.  I don't know how, but it is.  I think.

lol I know what you mean lets ask again in January see how many responses we you get then smile

6. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 5 years ago

in the meantime, here's my last word on the subject for today:
    http://www.fact.on.ca/newpaper/bz991006.gif

That is quite good looks like one of the shops in my city smile

working