jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Moving for love?

1. 60
    jckwlposted 4 years ago

Hi, I have been in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend for 2 and a half years. I live in the US and she lives in UK. We met in the summer 2 years ago, and she came to the States for a visit once after that. This past summer, we spent 2 months together. We love each other so much and are very serious about this relationship. It has been difficult the past 2.5 years but we managed and we got along really well. She lives in UK and I am considering moving there. However, I can't help but thinking if I am being irrational. Can anyone give me some opinions on this?

1. Jyoti Patil profile image76
      Jyoti Patilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well If you really love her and have good opportunities out there in the UK, you should follow your feelings. However if your are working in the US and are well settled, it would be irrational. Long Distance Relations thrive on Trust and Understanding. I have been Happily Married to my Long distance Lover. You should also check if your girl is happy with your decision to move places. Moving for Love is completely rational thing.

1. 60
        jckwlposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for your response, Jyoti! I am not sure if I would have good opportunities in UK, but I just graduated from college and don't have a job in the US. I don't actually want to stay here anyway. That is part of why I made the decision. I discussed it with my girlfriend and she is very happy about me moving there. I love her very much and would do anything to be with her. I still have doubts only because I am afraid that I won't be able to support myself financially.

1. Jyoti Patil profile image76
          Jyoti Patilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well that's good that you are just out of college. Maybe UK is gonna open doors for your future. After knowing that you anyway don't wanna stay in the States and that your girlfriend would be only happier, I strongly suggest you should shift asap. Good Luck for your future.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image82
      AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't see it as irrational.
      You said you have a good relationship and you both are obviously serious, as you have committed 2 1/2 years to the relationship.
      Go where your heart leads you.
      smile Good luck to you

1. 60

Thank you. I thought so too. We have a pretty much perfect relationship and we went through so much together. But I sometimes worry if I am being irrational. Anyway, thank you for your response!

1. BettyPetite profile image60
          BettyPetiteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have only one advice: Follow your heart...
          And your guts feeling.
          Perhaps, you can talk to her and see what she says smile
          Best of luck

1. 60

We talked about it and she was very happy about my decision and very much appreciated my consideration of moving to her. Thank you, Betty!

2. Diane Inside profile image88
    Diane Insideposted 4 years ago

I say go for it. You only live once. Life is short and to be quite honest most of us, at the end of our lives, regret things we didnt do more than the things we did do.

So go for it.

LOVE  is the best reason to do anything.

3. acaetnna profile image54
    acaetnnaposted 4 years ago

To love someone, to truly love them, it is worth a million dollars.  If you both feel the same way nothing will be lost.  To find a true love often takes a lifetime, don't miss your opportunity!

4. garrettdixon profile image60
    garrettdixonposted 4 years ago

The best thing to do in any type of situation, is to sit down and make a list.  On one side right good, the other write bad, and draw a line in the middle.  Now think hard and contemplate as many possible answers for both sides.  When you weigh the ups and downs, it will show you what you really care about and should make the answer more logical for you. Good Luck smile

5. Moms-Secret profile image79
    Moms-Secretposted 4 years ago

very few accomplishments in life fulfill the way love does.  The thing about us as humans is that we adapt.  We are able to move, live, and move again if needed.  It is not often that we are not locked into an area for one reason or another.  I say move only if you have it in you to make it worth your while regardless what happens in the end.