Taking Care of an ILL Loved One

1. SEXYLADYDEE profile image78
    SEXYLADYDEEposted 4 years ago

Last month my significant other had major back surgery. Afterwards he experienced almost all of the possible negative consequences of major surgery and being under general anesthesia. He has pneumonia, a blood clot in his lung, high blood pressure and he is unable to walk much or to care for himself. Having raised a 19 year old daughter with disabilities I was aware of the possible extensive nature of this experience should anything go wrong. We have been friends for 3 years & together for 2.

This changes the dynamics of our relationship entirely. I went to the hospital every day. My faith enabled me to be supportive even when he thought he wasn't going to make it.

How do other caregivers find support for themselves and their loved ones? I had to make a lot of calls to get his services in place. I also had to stay on top of his in-hospital medical care. But I am a trained advocate for the disabled due to my child. Every step of the way has been a battle. Who, what or where does the ordinary family member turn to in these cases?

Were you made aware of case management services available to you and you family right in the hospital?  How did you make it thru the sadness and the frustration?  I had my faith but his family was of no support to me. What did you do to maintain your health and your sanity. I think sharing will help someone going thru this now.