jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Where is the line between cocky and confident drawn?

1. Saleeln18 profile image81
    Saleeln18posted 4 years ago

Many people view being confident as an admirable quality. But many people also view over-confidence as a negative quality. So my question is: What's the difference? What is the definitive difference between confidence and over confidence?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 4 years ago in reply to this

attitude, and ego I would say.

2. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I think it may be whether or not the person who is confident has whatever he's good at in perspective and isn't viewing what he's good at in terms of measuring himself against others.  In other words, his confidence is about what he gains from his strengths - not from measuring himself against others who don't "measure up" according to his own "standard of himself".

Sometimes, too, what's only simple and healthy confidence is interpreted by people who don't have much of it as "cockiness"; maybe either because they don't know what healthy confidence feels like, or else because they've been raised to think that all confidence amounts to conceit or cockiness.

Saleeln18posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I see where you are coming from, those are both very good points, but how can a person prove to themselves that their confidence is not misplaced without trying out their skills against others?

3. manlypoetryman profile image70
    manlypoetrymanposted 4 years ago

Charlie Sheen: as an "A" list Hollywood Celebrity was an example of confidence.
    Charlie Sheen: screwing up his 2 and 1/2 Men gig because he was a Rock Star from Mars with tiger blood...is an example of over-confidence! lol

Saleeln18posted 4 years ago in reply to this

The tiger blood thing is hilarious! And yes I believe he was the highest paid television actor for a while thanks to that show, I don't know what happened there. The media has poked at him so much fun at him for his expoits. But that goes far beyond cockiness and into animal nature, all thanks to his tiger blood lol.