How many years it took to understand your spouse?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. jainismus profile image73
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6281257.png
    How many years it took to understand your spouse completely? Or you are still unable to understand your spouse?

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ... lol lol lol lol lol

jainismusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was a serious question, so why you are laughing? sad

I know it was a serious question, it's just that I've been married five times and so far all I understand about any of them is that they were not right for me.  The first one was the only one I felt understood me, but in the eight years we were together, I was never able to figure him out.  It's probably because deep down inside, I never really cared to.  I knew what he was all about and that was enough.  We were happy till he passed away.  But I don't think I understand myself, much less anyone else.  I don't think i want to understand them.  It's too much work and I'm just not that deep.

Hey, I was just joking this time and you took it seriously!!smile

LOL, no, not really, I try not to take anything very seriously. wink

2. Greek One profile image65
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. Xenonlit profile image60
        Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll pile on to this sub thread:

hahahahahaha!  lol

1. brakel2 profile image73
          brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Men and women are so different, and each day is a new day. When you think you understand, tomorrow arrives, and everything changes. I guess I need to read the book about understanding the brains, but I don't think that would even help. It is a wonder that marriages last. I guess we get used to being in a constant state of confusion, that we still stick with it. It is love, no matter what, with the ones who stay together. Love, in spite of everything.

2. alisha4u profile image40
      alisha4uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's so hard to understand someone... sometimes , it takes your entire life knowing a person...
      I don;t think we can ever understand a person completely, be it anyone..

You are right.

2. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

in all serriousness,.... undertanding of even yourself is a life long proscess,.. do we ever REALY understand anyone else?

getting to "KNOW" some one,.. thats more apropriate.

i knew most everything i neededto know about my husband within the first year,... i spent the next 13 dealing with what i knew,.... he never got to know me.

i learned all i didnt want to know about my second husband within 6 months,... he at leat took the time to get to know me,.... he knew it was over before i did,... when i figured it out,... well,... thats another story.

i KNOW the man i've been dating for two years now,... but "undertanding",... man,.... is that eve possible?

Great answer! cool

1. stclairjack profile image77
        stclairjackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanx

and besides,... we feckless humans tend to get bored with what we fully understand,... i hope i never fully understand a man,... how boring would that be! ha!

3. KDF profile image59
    KDFposted 12 years ago

Still counting, it never ends. Understanding your spouse is a daily activity. One that, if you're consciously aware of, you can become exceptionally good at. I wouldn't say I completly understand her and I don't expect her to totally understand me, but compared to day 1 to now, we have a good clear understanding! How's that for understanding, eh?

4. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 12 years ago

You see I never understood my first husband. Him I wanted to kill and not because he was bad he was a truly wonderful person but so set in his ways and annoying that we fought more than ever. I've been together for close on to 17 years with my second husband. We rarely fight and we understand each other sometimes just by looks alone. It's like we can sometimes read each others minds. Basically this is because we're soulmates and it took us an awful long time to find each other. I was born in America and he in Latvia. When I brought my mom back to her homeland in 1994 we met and we've been together ever since. It happens to people that I believe you have to find the person who is the other half of your soul to be really happy.

sad

5. neeta chauhan profile image60
    neeta chauhanposted 12 years ago

Knowing the other person inside out is fictitious because that is
    humanly impossible , nowadays its difficult to understand oneself
    only how can you get to know your spouse and in a certain
    span of time.
    But none the less i got to know my ex spouse right from the day i started
    living with him because he had such a transparent personality that
    it was like adding 2+2 = 4  for me the reason why one cannot understand
    ones spouse in ones married life is because he/she has landed
    up with a tough cookie and who does not have a transparent personality
    only those type of people are hard to understand .......

6. Mark Pitts profile image64
    Mark Pittsposted 12 years ago

I don't think you ever understand fully, you just learn to accept what is without anger, frustration, or confusion. I finally realized I was just as confusing and annoying to her, so how could I expect more? I trust her without question, and that is more than plenty to maintain love for me.

7. donnaisabella profile image71
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

My husband and some guys I either dated or met along the way before I got married all told me I was a very understanding woman. I am not sure what they meant, whether it was that I allowed them to be who they were or was not complicated in my relating with them. However, when I got married to my husband (going on 17 now), a time came when he told me that I was not understanding, now that made me stagger a little bit; may be I had just become more real in my dealings and was giving it back to him the way I was getting it. Well, long story short, I am in a different season of my life where I am learning and practicing forgiveness. The more I learn to forgive, I find I am better able to understand his scruples and to not get bogged down with trying to correct them or feeling miserable about them. I can tell you that for the first time in many years of marriage, I can say I am beginning to learn how to live with the person my husband is without letting it get under my skin and it is working very well. I guess, that is what we call understanding. I have to inform myself minute by minute to live at peace and accept him just the way he is because that is what I want for myself.

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

36 years and counting.  I figure I'm about 10% of the way to a good understanding.

9. cashmere profile image78
    cashmereposted 12 years ago

More than a decade of being married and I'm still trying to understand him  smile

10. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 12 years ago

42 years married. Still loving the daily challenge.:-)

11. fosginger profile image60
    fosgingerposted 12 years ago

um, well been married ...for some time now..lol. Still dont understand him and stopped trying to cause it was giving me an ulcer

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)