jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

What are the characterisitcs of a good spouse?

1. Esenbee profile image60
    Esenbeeposted 4 years ago

In your opinion, what do you think makes a good wife/husband in todays world...specifically American Society/.

1. 0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

a good listener and a creative lover smile

2. classicalgeek profile image87
      classicalgeekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My mother always told me that a good husband is like a good used car: reliable, dependable, works, doesn't require a lot of expensive or complicated maintenance, and is just boring enough that nobody wants to steal him/it.

1. debbiepinkston profile image87
        debbiepinkstonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I love your mother's definition of a good husband.  I tell my son this about a potential future wife: she doesn't have to be a knockout, (she should take good care of herself though), she should be kind and respectful, and easy going, fun to be with, and sincere.

2. diogenes profile image83
    diogenesposted 4 years ago

One man's meat is another's poison.  One man likes a good, quiet and obedient housewife, another, a wild rocker to party qith him.
    I have only been married four times so I'm not really qualified to answer this.

1. Rosie2010 profile image83
      Rosie2010posted 4 years ago in reply to this

married four times?  You're sooo over-qualified to answer this question, Diogenes. big_smile

Lemme try... I was married for 26 years and I was a perfect spouse... good, quiet, obedient, supportive, loving, caring, attentive, plus I was sexy to boot.  My husband would verify this, but sadly, he died on me.  Couldn't he just ask for a divorce? yikes:

3. Greek One profile image81
    Greek Oneposted 4 years ago

1. 0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

but grilled cheese sandwiches?

4. Esenbee profile image60
    Esenbeeposted 4 years ago

LOL @ Diogenes and Rosie. @Kimberlslyrics, a good listener is a great characteristic but some people might take creative loving to some other level lol! @Greek One, idk wat to say about those characteristics lol.

5. Globetrekkermel profile image69
    Globetrekkermelposted 4 years ago

To let you be what you  want to be.cheers you on on your crazy dreams. Don't control you like he owns you.always be kind and considerate to you. In my 28 years of marriage, the most  that i was told by my husband was, go away from me, lol. Never a nasty or demeaning word. That means a lot to me. I would be running as fast as i can if i had been thrown with bad demeaning words.

1. HoneyBB profile image86
      HoneyBBposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Somebody who doesn't necessarily agree with you but respects your right to your own opinion. Somebody who doesn't judge, yell, hit, isolate, bully, or withhold necessities from you.
      Somebody who listens and responds with relevant, helpful, encouraging, funny, or serious replies.
      Somebody who cherishes your friendship above everything else in the relationship and shows it by considering your feelings before doing or saying anything. That's not to say that they won't do or say what they want or need to but they will be considerate in their delivery and avoid hurting you at all costs.

6. debbiepinkston profile image87
    debbiepinkstonposted 3 years ago

A good spouse is respectful of your wishes and opinions, wants to meet your needs when he/she can, and will sit down and talk thing out calmly when things aren't going well.

7. CrisSp profile image84
    CrisSpposted 3 years ago

One should be willing to cook and the other one to do the dishes. Kidding aside, a trait on knowing how to give and take may work best for the couple.

8. lovendar profile image60
    lovendarposted 3 years ago

In my opinion, an ideal spouse is who listen well, give respect, care and dont harm ones feelings. Spouse should make decisions with partner's concern and dont waste time in small things.