jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

New date directing your Dress and behavior

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

There are some men(and women) who think it's appropriate to request that their date wear sexy clothes or more make-up.
    It s not appropriate for all dates;especially outdoor activities such as hiking. This seems to be a control issue or are they immature?

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sounds rather like a control issue.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image81
      AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think it could be neither, or even both a control issue or being immature.

I think that it would depend on not only what they said but how they said it, and even more importantly, WHY they requested it.

Per example. If my boyfriend asks me to wear something sexy for HIM, because he wants to go on a date and thinks I look attractive, that's fine. If he's asking me to wear something sexy so he can show me off to other people and parade me around like a trophy, he's done for. It's about the attitude behind it.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

I would request that they wear less sexy clothes and no makeup, but that is a hard thing to do without being inappropriate - personal preference.

3. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

It's both.  Controlling people are immature or they wouldn't be telling you how to dress in the first place.

4. Shanna11 profile image90
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

Any guy who tried to tell me what to wear (outside of maybe telling me what the dress code is for a nice restaurant) is going to end up dateless faster than he can say "lingerie".

5. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

No way! like Shanna said...

6. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

Actually, having someone else dress you, can be quite a lot of fun under the right circumstances.  But it's something that must be agreed upon by both parties.  You can't just to tell someone what to wear without their concent and then expect that they'll do it.  That would be rude.  My first husband picked out all my clothes, and my shoes, and pretty much everything else too.  He was an amazing man, and a total control freak, but I so enjoyed our time together.

7. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Me too. I would just as soon let someone else dress me for social outings. They would know more about it than me, and better they be happy, since what do I care, I don't.

8. Shaddie profile image93
    Shaddieposted 4 years ago

I tell my boyfriend all the time not to wear his T-shirts with cartoon characters on them... It's fine around the house, but I really do not find it attractive at all. If we are going out in public I ask that he wear something nicer. I don't dress like a slob, I expect my partner not to either.

If this is someone you just met, however, that's red flags. I can understand if ya'll have been together for a long time and are comfortable and would prefer your partner to look nice - but if your brand new date is giving you signs that he is uncomfortable with the way you look early on... That ain't right.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. It is a red flag and they may not be aware of it.